Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road condition possible cause of crash?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries

Road condition possible cause of crash?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/bay-of-pl...PPAQTC3RMVK2E/

Includes a picture of the bike. My question is about the current fad of balloon tyres. -if these were any good then surely something similar would be fitted to sports bikes. There is mention of a "tank-slapper". Wondering if a heavy front wheel would accentuate any tendency for such a thing to occur, once triggered by a bad pothole or other road surface fault. driver behaviour, vehicle condition and speed were trotted out by Waka Kotahi as factors, even though these were ruled out at the time.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Wonder if she should be fighting the same battle with the manufacturer of the bike?
    they are like a suzuki van van for adults.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    R100GSPD
    the front tyre looks huge,wonder if it is standard size?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    In any accident, there are 3 factors, the vehicle, the driver/rider and the environment (inc road and it's surface).

I see plenty of issues with that picture of the road, and NZTA says it's fit for purpose... (btw, if they say it's fit for purpose, thanks, I'll be needed the data that has allowed you to determine that, for my case).

Her issue is, she's going to be fighting the NZTA lawyers. NZTA doesn't actually care about her one bit. It's concerned about the precedent if they're found liable. This is how corporates work (make no mistake, that's what NZTA is). We can't lose this case, otherwise xyz. NZTA are also like any other organisation, you're fighting a faceless entity. If you start getting somewhere with a manager, they'll move on, or be moved, and you'll start again.

Her other avenue is negligence. NZTA should have known better that doing xyz was going to cause issues, which is probably easier. eg, if I recall correctly, the manufacturer of the WRB have a recommended installation, x metres from a live lane of traffic etc. If NZTA have breached this, they have knowingly gone against manufacturer recommendations. Under the OIA you request information around the work in that section and installing the WRB against recommendations... this is an easier requirement to meet. You definitely don't play games on their pitch, and don't get shoehorned into their arguments.

As for the tyres, hell, put dual purpose tyres on flushed tar and you're significantly worse off that street tyres. Vice versa with street tyres on gravel. All about the performance of the tyre and it's intended use. Manufacturers have smart people to figure out the geometry, suitable tyre size etc, as they have to be able to sign off the vehicle is fit for purpose etc. Just look at the original Merc A class that infamously failed the moose test. Merc re-consults with engineers to come up with a solution otherwise it wouldn't have been able to meet approval...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    It was on the good
    To be honest I switched off when I read the term cheese cutters. Normally flags to me someone wanting to deflect the blame. Not saying that is the case here but they had nothing to do with the cause of the crash and landing on top of armco can be pretty horrific as well. As can being run over by a car coming the other way.

Always feel for someone who suffers those kinds of injuries but that article raises lots of questions. If the road was so bad why not slow down? How do you get a 100m+ tank slapper on a bike like that? How much actual experience did she have on that bike? Having a full licence for three years does not necessarily make you an experienced rider, noting that the crash was on a long weekend.

Shame she cannot remember what happened in the lead up as that would no doubt help with the mental recovery, its going to be a long and difficult journey if everyone tells her it was all the roads fault. Hope her physical recovery is quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I see plenty of issues with that picture of the road, and NZTA says it's fit for purpose... (btw, if they say it's fit for purpose, thanks, I'll be needed the data that has allowed you to determine that, for my case).
    I wouldn't fancy it in the wet but I suspect hundreds of motorcyclists have ridden over there without an issue. What is fit for purpose for a road anyway? On any road you just have to deal with what is in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Her other avenue is negligence. NZTA should have known better that doing xyz was going to cause issues, which is probably easier. eg, if I recall correctly, the manufacturer of the WRB have a recommended installation, x metres from a live lane of traffic etc. If NZTA have breached this, they have knowingly gone against manufacturer recommendations. Under the OIA you request information around the work in that section and installing the WRB against recommendations... this is an easier requirement to meet.
    There are guidelines for the offset etc but you only have to look at the bit heading out of Wellington where they installed it with sod all clearance and head on fatalities dropped like a stone. There is a story about that somewhere on the internet. If it can save so many lives then they will go against supplied guidance and come up with their own. I guess at this site they must have weighed up the pros and cons of putting barrier in, and to be honest the photos looks very similar to the many designs that are currently under way and will be making an appearance all over the country in the very near future. You won't get anywhere with the negligence card. This is NZTA's thinking - https://nzta.govt.nz/assets/Roads-an...n-barriers.pdf

And one thing none of us should forget, 'cheese cutters' can also save motorcyclists lives. I am guessing this dude might still be around if this road had a median barrier - https://www.odt.co.nz/star-news/star...motorway-crash

And check this out -

EDIT - Here's that Wellington video. Go to 5:30 to see two riders who probably benefitted from the barrier being installed even if it wasn't to the ideal standard.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    the front tyre looks huge,wonder if it is standard size?
    It looks right for a Harley 48. Function follows form on Harleys and in this instance in particular the bike is primarily a styling exercise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harley48.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	354025  
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    It looks right for a Harley 48. Function follows form on Harleys and in this instance in particular the bike is primarily a styling exercise.
    The front tyre tyre is 130/90-16. Here are the geometry and suspension specs, you'd want to be careful on less than smooth roads.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    Blog Entries
    So, shitty road and marginal suspension. Equal share of blame. Leave the WRB out of it, they are after the event and if they were not there then the rider may well have gone under an oncoming vehicle.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    As I said in post 2, maybe she should be asking questions of the bike manufacturer? Might have been covered in the owners manual I guess? Not suitable for uneven roads, high speeds or tight corners…

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Yes looks like normal cruiser tyre. But these tyres and being a Harley should be no problem and maybe an advantage in these conditions, weight carried nice and low and those sidewalls would flex good soaking bumps up.

Of note is that she has only been riding three years. That’s not a long time experience wise and probably in social group environment where someone else is spotting hazards instead of learning to see them.
    Even if the road is crap it’s a driver/rider responsibility to read/observe and adjust your operation accordingly. And even more so given its common knowledge many are in a poor state of repair.
    I’ve had couple of times where bike has lost it big time in wet on tyre bleed unexpectedly and just accept it’s part of being on road. One time I did report it to NZTA as it wasn’t easily visibly apparent how bad it was.
    Another time was exacerbated by the bike being on cruise control and once it slid the bike kept applying power! I no longer use cruise in wet if tar bleed about.

Very sad about injuries received but if it was bad enough to be a “ major” causative factor then there would be multiple accidents happening in same place and that is pretty rare in my experience. On a North Island road like that which is a major freight route you e got to expect those channels and ridges which form from high numbers of heavy trucks. Never mind that the road itself is in a pumice base that is always moving anyway.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    As I said in post 2, maybe she should be asking questions of the bike manufacturer? Might have been covered in the owners manual I guess? Not suitable for uneven roads, high speeds or tight corners…
    H-D will never accept any blame and will react in exactly the same way as W-K, cmplete with (if necessary) the lawyers
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    This had me hitting replay a few times other day. Near end of vid, yes ford ranger is quite away across centre but think standing up (needlessly) ADV style increase reaction time and reduced time to brake properly and hug the bank.
    Right at very end of vid author provides a super slow mo also.
    First crash footage about 3/4 way in.

Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    H-D will never accept any blame and will react in exactly the same way as W-K, cmplete with (if necessary) the lawyers
    Yep, that is right. Unless it becomes a class action law suit. Highly unlikely I know.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    This had me hitting replay a few times other day. Near end of vid, yes ford ranger is quite away across centre but think standing up (needlessly) ADV style increase reaction time and reduced time to brake properly and hug the bank.
    Right at very end of vid author provides a super slow mo also.
    First crash footage about 3/4 way in.
    He braked quite early but didnt seem to slow down much and didnt seem to turn away but rather kept going .Easy to criticise watching a slo mo video

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    I rode to Rotorua recently on SH5, including the section where the crash happened, and thought that the road was is better condition than usual. But the road heading north up the Mamakus can be a bit bumpy in places and 1.5" of suspension travel is not very much, although the back tyre probably helps to absorb the bumps.

You really have to be careful out there.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Thread Information