Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cafes in your area (North Island)

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-s1000F 2016

Cafes in your area (North Island)

Not one for reviews but like to make recommendations...please add yours.

As I am in Hawkes Bay here are a few that I have had good eperiences at.

Cafe Norsewood....Norsewood
    Hatuma Cafe...Waipukarau
    Paper Mulberry....Te Aute
    RedBridge Coffee container...Havelock North
    Adoro....Ahuriri Napier
    Cafe 5 Tarawera....Tarawera State Highway 5

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Brown Sugar, Taihape
    Helena Bay cafe, Helena bay hill
    utopia Cafe , Kaiwaka
    The Office cafe, maungatapere
    Old Parakao Store, parakao-twin bridges
    marina Cafe, Baffin St, Opua
    The Deck, Mcleods bay-whangarei heads
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Couple of my fav locals are already busy enough so not sharing lol but others of note in last couple years of travel:
    Nth Island
    Hui hut Mangakino great coffee and awesome choc brownie
    Ernesto’s in Wellington killling time before ferry.

South Island
    Picton village bakery - an affordable non glitzy cafe on outskirts of CBD, limited seating as it’s more your tradie lunch bar type place but good food.
    Courthouse Cafe Collingwood
    Stone Oven Bakery Hokitika - good sit down coffee and meal in town centre
    Beechwood’s Murchison big new place good value feed. Stopped here because the awesome Commercial Hotel and Cafe that was across road has been demolished due to quake stuff.

A couple of outstanding mentions due to quality of coffee
    Tees st cafe Oamaru
    Oasis cafe Omarama
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Street Triple
    Franks Cafe - Ohakune

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    This is more difficult than it should be. My favourite cafe recently changed owners - and the beans they use. Their coffee, formerly excellent, is now crap.

My main source of coffee now is a pub, Stumble Inn. Their coffee is not a ten out of ten but it's acceptable. You do need to know where to park, it'll cost sixty bucks if you get it wrong.

Similarly there are several cafes in Oakura but they are all closed by mid afternoon. The pub, Butler's Reef, isn't and last time I had a coffee there it was good enough.
    There is a glazed seating area overlooking the road, pleasant if it's not too hot.

A club I have cause to visit regularly used to have an urn of hot water and some Nescafe. They have a new machine and the bar staff have received barista training. Their coffee seems fine. Following the AGM Saturday there was a free drink to all attendees. There were probably more coffees served than beers.

Just a thought, don't overlook the pubs.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    NC30s
    If you're in Hamilton, Brown Brothers Raglan Roast, on Te Rapa Straight.
    Consistently fantastic coffee at a good price, and the cafe is an old drilling workshop.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-s1000F 2016
    Thanks gentlemen...keep your recommendations coming.

There were probably more coffees served than beers.
    This makes me think NZ men might be changing/have changed.
    I visited the Blackdog in Matamau before it closed after the sad death of its owner and an old biker mate was there. He looked up and down the table and said, "Nobody drinking?" as he clutched his beer. We were all on Bundaberg ginger beer.
    Maybe the idea that alcohol and riding motorcycles isnt a great mix is settling in?

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Stopped here because the awesome Commercial Hotel and Cafe that was across road has been demolished due to quake stuff.
    That's a bit sad, but explains why last time I was there hunting out some dinner it looked very permanently closed.

Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    My main source of coffee now is a pub, Stumble Inn. Their coffee is not a ten out of ten but it's acceptable. You do need to know where to park, it'll cost sixty bucks if you get it wrong.
    Seems this is not a unique problem, although after a bit of negative publicity it's likely the problem will solve itself.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/bay-of-plent...ng-two-coffees

Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Just a thought, don't overlook the pubs.
    I suspect most pubs that are open early hours would make more from coffee than anything else these days.

My only recent outing for a coffee up north, Papamoa bakery did a presentable coffee to go with an equally presentable sausage roll. Otherwise I'll give anything a go that looks reasonable and isn't a starbucks/coffee club/other equally faceless corporate franchise.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Aprilia RSV Mille & Aprilia Tuono 660
    DD’s cafe in Waitoki, and The Ginger Crunch in the old railway station in Helensville are worth the stop.
    RSV Mille: No madam, its an Aprilia, not a Harley. If it were a Harley, I would be pushing it !

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Quote Originally Posted by 1/32 man View Post
    I can second Cafe Norsewood. Very good

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    T

Seems this is not a unique problem, although after a bit of negative publicity it's likely the problem will solve itself.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/bay-of-plent...ng-two-coffees
    That is savage.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    BMW F650GS Twin
    Quote Originally Posted by 1/32 man View Post
    Not one for reviews but like to make recommendations...please add yours.

As I am in Hawkes Bay here are a few that I have had good eperiences at.

Hatuma Cafe...Waipukarau
    Paper Mulberry....Te Aute
    RedBridge Coffee container...Havelock North
    Adoro....Ahuriri Napier
    Cafe 5 Tarawera....Tarawera State Highway 5
    The Figgery at Te Mata is bloody good. 205 Napier Road. Great coffee and if you're peckish, have a look at their antipasto platter - a great selection of comestibles. https://tematafigs.co.nz/pages/cafe

The Craft and Social in Hastings is good too. Good coffee, and a pint if you need it: https://craftandsocial.co.nz

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Where do I start…. I won’t mention any Auckland cafes as no one comes here unless they have to.

The ones that come to mind immediately are:

Whatawhata cafe. Decent coffee and food and it’s just the right distance from home for a break if I’m heading south-west.

Te Uku Roast Office. If you ride from Auckland to Raglan the back way (was SH22), this is the first place you can get a coffee after leaving Tuakau. There are any number of decent places in Raglan, but sometimes you just need a coffee now, and it is very good.

The coffee cart at the pub in National Park. If it’s a nice day, you can enjoy the view with your coffee, and if the weather is shit, as usual, you can go inside the pub and warm up by the fire. (The cafe round the corner from the GAS has gone, unfortunately.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bike
    71 Kawasaki W1, 77 Yamaha XS650
    i drink an unsweetened long black and find it difficult to get a decent one, roasters and baristas here tend to burn their coffee - i carry a box of JEDS #5 coffee bags and a tin-mug, just get a fill of boiling water - also usually carry a small primus-can make a coffee pretty much anywhere

-have found a couple of surprises tho - somewhere between Kaukapakapa and Silverdale i found a coffee cart sitting in the middle of an empty paddock - was ok
    -in the basement, entry from the road at the back, Shetland rd?-Glen Eden-Akld, sozo coffee house was a pleasant find
    -beside the barn, opposite Tomarata rugby club (Wellsford), was a decent coffee and sausage roll
    -sh10 roundabout to Paihia (Pie-here) at Puketona is actually not a bad pie
    -the red bakery bottom of Kaikohe does an ok pie too, just watch the chinese girl, she deliberately steals your change
    -sh10 Awanui, Big River Cafe, coffee wasnt bad either, the bloke seems to enjoy cooking too
    -if youre waiting for the ferry at Rawene, the Boatshed does a lovely burnt coffee, but its nice sitting on the deck out the back over the water

JEDS #5 keeping you alive
    Be who you are and say what you feel cos those who mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wetanz View Post
    i drink an unsweetened long black and find it difficult to get a decent one, roasters and baristas here tend to burn their coffee - i carry a box of JEDS #5 coffee bags and a tin-mug, just get a fill of boiling water - also usually carry a small primus-can make a coffee pretty much anywhere
    Not a cafe but a bean roaster to try - CoffeelaLa from Coromandel, their La Bomb roast I find is perfect for an unsweetened black. (Long or otherwise) I have tried the Jeds bags but found it rather bitter.
    https://www.coffeelala.com/
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information