Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cafes in your area (North Island)

Bike
    71 Kawasaki W1, 77 Yamaha XS650
    got a sister in amodeo bay-maybe one day i will get there

i drop in to ikarus coffee in pekerau hills, doubtless bay, northland sometimes - grower/roaster - grows and roasts his own beans, not a bad visit actually, spend a few hours picking beans

all time favourite coffee is fine ground as in turkish or greek coffee - brew it over a primus, 2 tsp for my mug, boil til it froths, pour, drink - mediterraneans and middle easterners drink this very sweet, up to 4 tsp gran. brown sugar per serving mixed into and brewed with the coffee grounds - easy to brew up on the run
    Be who you are and say what you feel cos those who mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by wetanz View Post
    i drink an unsweetened long black and find it difficult to get a decent one, roasters and baristas here tend to burn their coffee - i carry a box of JEDS #5 coffee bags and a tin-mug, just get a fill of boiling water - also usually carry a small primus-can make a coffee pretty much anywhere

-have found a couple of surprises tho - somewhere between Kaukapakapa and Silverdale i found a coffee cart sitting in the middle of an empty paddock - was ok
    -in the basement, entry from the road at the back, Shetland rd?-Glen Eden-Akld, sozo coffee house was a pleasant find
    -beside the barn, opposite Tomarata rugby club (Wellsford), was a decent coffee and sausage roll
    -sh10 roundabout to Paihia (Pie-here) at Puketona is actually not a bad pie
    -the red bakery bottom of Kaikohe does an ok pie too, just watch the chinese girl, she deliberately steals your change
    -sh10 Awanui, Big River Cafe, coffee wasnt bad either, the bloke seems to enjoy cooking too
    -if youre waiting for the ferry at Rawene, the Boatshed does a lovely burnt coffee, but its nice sitting on the deck out the back over the water

JEDS #5 keeping you alive
    I find Roma coffee is usually pretty decent and rarely tastes burnt. They have a place just off the motorway at Drury, and quite a few cafes use their beans.

I've had a coffee at the cart at Tomarata but it's not often there when I go past.

It does seem to depend a bit on the barista. We were camping recently at Waipu Cove, and the coffee there is generally average. But a couple of takeaway coffees made quite early were much better. Nothing to do the the gorgeous young woman who made them!

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-s1000F 2016
    Found a new to me cafe in Woodville as I stopped with some others on the way back to napier from Manfeild on Sunday...I think its called Cafe 88.

Anyway no matter where I order a coffee it is ....regular flat white, one sugar, in a takeaway cup with a lid.
    It tastes better but I still need a piss soon after.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    I have tried the Jeds bags but found it rather bitter.
    I did like Jeds in the plunger. Currently I start the day with a long black from my Bialetti stove top thingy. Bialettis can produce bitter coffee so the recommendation is to avoid dark roasted beans. The particular pot I have is small and I have considered taking it on the road if I was staying in a motel. The morning coffee would be better than what is normally on offer.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I did like Jeds in the plunger. Currently I start the day with a long black from my Bialetti stove top thingy. Bialettis can produce bitter coffee so the recommendation is to avoid dark roasted beans. The particular pot I have is small and I have considered taking it on the road if I was staying in a motel. The morning coffee would be better than what is normally on offer.
    I take my portable espresso maker with me when camping or travelling for this reason, and to save having to go out somewhere to find a not instant coffee in the morning.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    That's my morning brew too Ron - Jeds No 5 dark roast in a plunger to be precise.

For anyone wanting great cafes whilst doing the Coromandel Loop, it's worth turning off the Loop at the Hahei/Hot Water Beach turn and taking Purangi Road which goes past Cooks Beach and down to the passenger ferry across to Whitianga. There are 3 cracking cafes on that road with massive amounts of parking and excellent food. The first one you come to is The Hive, followed by Eggcentric and Ferry Landing. You can find them all on the 'net and locations on Google Maps.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Thanks for that, Coromandel is a mixed bag for cafes. I like the cafe at Waiomu, but that's more the location than the coffee. Umu in Coromandel town isn't what it used to be. I'm struggling after that as I haven't explored the main centres, although I've had good coffees in Whangamata at a couple of the smaller cafes.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    Thanks for that, Coromandel is a mixed bag for cafes. I like the cafe at Waiomu, but that's more the location than the coffee. Umu in Coromandel town isn't what it used to be. I'm struggling after that as I haven't explored the main centres, although I've had good coffees in Whangamata at a couple of the smaller cafes.

The Pepper Tree round the corner from Umu is excellent but a tad more upmarket (taking my wife there today for brownie points ). The others I mentioned are well-priced and as the road dead-ends, there's normally plenty of room and it's a nice bike road too. I should have mentioned Luke's Kitchen at Kuaotunu too. Busy in summer but service is always pretty quick no matter what. Their pizza menu is great - antipasto is divine! https://www.lukeskitchen.co.nz/

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    The Broadway Tearooms in Reefton was pretty good recently, so good I went back a second time.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    2022 GSX-S1000GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Brown Sugar, Taihape
    Helena Bay cafe, Helena bay hill
    utopia Cafe , Kaiwaka
    The Office cafe, maungatapere
    Old Parakao Store, parakao-twin bridges
    marina Cafe, Baffin St, Opua
    The Deck, Mcleods bay-whangarei heads
    Yes, would vouch for all of those, especially Helena Bay followed by a blast through 50-odd k’s of twisty road to Russell! Also the Waterfront Cafe in Rawene on the Hokianga, setting yourself up for a ride south through Waipoua forest. If you need a top up in Dargaville, Blah Blah Blah will do the business.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    The Broadway Tearooms in Reefton was pretty good recently, so good I went back a second time.
    It felt like stepping back in time!

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    The Office cafe, Maungatapere
    I can confirm this is a good option. I went there on Wednesday, arriving shortly after closing time. They were happy to keep the café open, which was highly appreciated.

Their bacon and egg pie is worth going back for!

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Got out for a nice fang Tuesday , Levin to Pahiatua.

There are 4 coffee places in the main drag of the Tua.
    The Pahiatua Cafe on the left hand side heading north is my Fav. (owned by a young Asian couple,they are closed Mondays as they work weekends).

Coffee is nice and the food good too. Two tables inside but you can sit around out front as well...

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Thread Information