Thread: New adventure

Bike
    F800GS

New project

I had this follow me home the other night...
    It's been de-registered and hasn't been started in a couple of years, but stored in a pretty cool man cave under a cover.
    I installed a new battery, emptied the old fuel out of the tank, replaced with some fresh stuff and it eventually fired up and ran... with a little help from crc
    Checked tyre pressure and rode it down the road. Seems to go alright but has a bit of a miss that needs sorting out.
    Seems very original except for the aftermarket ignition. Still a bit of tidying up to do though... and the re registering thing

Sent from my SM-G996W using Tapatalk

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Very nice!

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    The expensive bits - tank, seat and exhaust look good. I'll be interested to see how the re-reg goes. I've got a GS1100G that has had its reg cancelled. I'd like to get it back on the road if I can. (I do have a couple of other 1100GK regs that are on hold, so thats always an option of sorts)
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Re-reg is pretty straight forward if the bikes been in the system. I had it done at mates rates for $140 a few years ago, worst I've heard was around $450 (for just straight through) plus license fee.

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    The expensive bits - tank, seat and exhaust look good. I'll be interested to see how the re-reg goes. I've got a GS1100G that has had its reg cancelled. I'd like to get it back on the road if I can. (I do have a couple of other 1100GK regs that are on hold, so thats always an option of sorts)
    That's what I thought. Of course there will be other bits and pieces that'll need replacing, but my intention is not to concourse it.
    I've found a classic bike mechanic only a couple of k's from home.
    I'm led to believe re reg should be easy... ish.
    It's got a Vin tag, I've got a pic of the old plate and a letter from the seller saying it's mine.

At what age does a bike qualify for classic reg ?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post
    That's what I thought. Of course there will be other bits and pieces that'll need replacing, but my intention is not to concourse it.
    I've found a classic bike mechanic only a couple of k's from home.
    I'm led to believe re reg should be easy... ish.
    It's got a Vin tag, I've got a pic of the old plate and a letter from the seller saying it's mine.

At what age does a bike qualify for classic reg ?
    40 years I believe. Im hoping that as long as the reg exisit in the system the ABS regs won't apply
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    40 years I believe. Im hoping that as long as the reg exisit in the system the ABS regs won't apply
    Any motorcycle first registered anywhere in the world before January 1st 1990 is exempt. Any bike that's been registered before in NZ is also exempt.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/ve...-rule-changes/

https://www.onthrottle.co.nz/post/nz...and-what-isn-t

You could import a GS1100G right now and register it with no issues (as long as it was registered elsewhere before the 1st of Jan 1990).

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Looking very straight and clean.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Nice bike. Likely you will need to remove the carbs and clean them - ultrasonic is best. having said that if you drained the float bowls and flushed them with new fuel you might have gotten lucky a proper balance is also really worthwhile.

The other thing I have always had issues with is making sure the caliper arm is free to pivot on the fork leg. The brakes (compared to a modern bike) are utter shit but if the arm can pivot at least it will work as designed. Modern pads are better than old ones. The disc material is very average too in that it is nice and shiny. You can buy a modern material substitute - EBC do them.

Enjoy. I have never owned an F2 and there are a couple on tardme presently. Though I have a bike to sell first.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2022 Honda CB500X, CBR150RS F4 Bucket
    Nice score James.
    Sometimes you wish it was easier, but if it was, everyone else would do it, then you remember you don't want to be like everybody else!

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by timg View Post
    Nice score James.
    It was a price I couldn't refuse. Say hi to Deb

Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Nice bike. Likely you will need to remove the carbs and clean them - ultrasonic is best. having said that if you drained the float bowls and flushed them with new fuel you might have gotten lucky a proper balance is also really worthwhile.

The other thing I have always had issues with is making sure the caliper arm is free to pivot on the fork leg. The brakes (compared to a modern bike) are utter shit but if the arm can pivot at least it will work as designed. Modern pads are better than old ones. The disc material is very average too in that it is nice and shiny. You can buy a modern material substitute - EBC do them.

Enjoy. I have never owned an F2 and there are a couple on tardme presently. Though I have a bike to sell first.
    Yeah I got lucky with just draining the carbs/tank and chucking some new fuel in it to go for a short ride.
    Sadly it had to be trailered to the vintage bike mechanic on Monday.
    Carb clean (ultrasonic), balance, forks and brakes are on the "to do" list.
    I know my limitations and time restraints so out sourced this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Looking very straight and clean.
    It is

Thread Information