Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clubs....is you in or is you out?

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-s1000F 2016

Clubs....is you in or is you out?

Question....are you in a motorcycle club or group? How does it work? Rules? Meetings? Loose or tight?

Looking for recommendations, observations, information and any other comments.

TIA.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I am a ulysses member..it is Ulysses club tho, not motorcycle club. It was formed in Oz and they did not want to be tarred with the bikie image, apparently. I know it varies from branch to branch re what the riding ettiquette is, but it is ettiquette rather than rules. Our branch is relatively relaxed, as in, ride at your own pace. And we dont put pressure on people to join up which can happen I'm told…
    Everyone rides when they feel like it, there is no expectation and ALL bikes are acceptable, none of this one make malarky.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I'm only in Ixion at the moment.

They have lots of observations.

because its trials, hoho dad joke
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Ok so sorry I didnt click that you were talking about it from the sporting angle…I'll get me coat!

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I'm only in Ixion at the moment.

They have lots of observations.

because its trials, hoho dad joke
    Ixion still going? I was a member back in the early 70s, for the organised trail rides.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    I'm told my DoD number should be still be valid...
    =mjc=

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    I used to be a Fat Biker but that group fell apart a few years ago, so now I'm just fat. Caseye tried his best to get things restarted, then covid happened. I guess you could say we got the wobbles.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Ok so sorry I didnt click that you were talking about it from the sporting angle…I'll get me coat!
    I don't think he was, I was just being silly.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jim.cox View Post
    I'm told my DoD number should be still be valid...
    I never did work out how to contact the KoTL
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    I don't do clubs, apart from joining HVMCC to get a comp licence in 1971.

Came back from Aussie in 1997 and a couple of mates were doing Ulyses rides. I joined in a few times but found evry ride one or two turkeys would jump into the shrubbery riding way above their ability.
    So canned that and rode with one or two mates who I could trust.
    Nowdays I ride alone and prefer it that way.... all mates have given it away anyway!!!

Be out early this morning by the looks ,it's lovely out there...

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    One thing I will say with regard to group rides, in general in my experience, is that if there is a crash, it is nearly always the new person. I now try not to ride near the new person if poss and make sure they settle in. In our Ulysses group, the faster riders will head to the front and this is always happening. You will get overtaken and you need to be comfortable with that and at all times ride your own pace, ability, comfort level as appropriate.in my 15yrs with the far north we have had one bad crash where old mate busted up his femur etc. it was not his fault, in as much as he was not charged with anything but he could have maybe avoided it. Dont know, wasnt there. The other good crash that happened was a guy on a Rocket Three and we all were expecting that, he just went full noise off a corner.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-s1000F 2016
    Thanks Laava
    Ulysses member here too. I joined slightly after getting a bike about four years back.

And this is kind of why I asked the question....what has your experience been like in a club which are often strange organisms anyway.
    I am currently struggling with over zealous administration types.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Soon after I started riding again, I rode to the local Ulysses for their monthly club night. I got as far as the car park!

I'm really not into clubs anyway, but am finally getting over my prejudices as I get older.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 1/32 man View Post
    Thanks Laava
    Ulysses member here too. I joined slightly after getting a bike about four years back.

And this is kind of why I asked the question....what has your experience been like in a club which are often strange organisms anyway.
    I am currently struggling with over zealous administration types.
    I hear ya re the over zealous types. Which is why I am not involved at a committee level anymore. I have been known to remind the odd person that their motto is "growing old disgracefully"

Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    Soon after I started riding again, I rode to the local Ulysses for their monthly club night. I got as far as the car park!

I'm really not into clubs anyway, but am finally getting over my prejudices as I get older.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    I cant speak for other branches but up here we do a wed ride and a sun ride every week and get a good turnout. School teacher types are not taken too seriously and sub groups split off regularly as they see fit to ride a different way home etc. I do not do any purely social stuff with them apart from the odd fund raiser.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Last group ride I did was a KB ride organised by White Trash, ironically I'm about to pop onto shop in 10 min so may see him. But it reminded me of why I no longer do group rides.
    Too many competitive males trying to find their way place in the pecking order.

I left after about the 3rd crash.

Had someone cartwheel off the back of my GS11 Suz mufler one Coast to Coast charity ride. I saw him coming in my mirrors and moved over but couldn't get far enough left and his boxer engine clipped. Bent my pipe but he went flying into a ditch. Doesn't bear thinking if he rear ended me square on.

At the same time another winner on his Hardley shot up the left on the dirt from about the same distance back as him. He was later heard recounting his story in the pub as 'No time to stop'. Somehow we all managed to slow down just fine. My mate who had been just ahead of me ripped into him. He had stood up on his pegs waiting for impact so was very appreciative that clown 1 hadn't made it past the GS.

The group had all slowed down to watch tye Westpac helicopter land in a field nearby. It was them we were fundraising for. Oh the ironing.

Thread Information