Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another (road) litre bike bites the dust in Europe

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I've never had cruise control on a bike, but my car has it. I use it everywhere straight and dull.

I'm controlling everything including the button under my finger to turn it off, but someone else is controlling the top speed (unless obviously I need to hit the pass pedal for whatever reason).

It takes a lot of the frustration out of transport sections in this regulated world we live in. Fortunately there aren't too many places like that where we most often ride over the hill in the sunny 'rapa.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    I do like practicing self-control riding a thou. A friend and I went over to the West Coast a couple weeks back, sat at 'possible ticket' speeds and it felt great to not worry about having to consider walking for the next 3mths.
    I usually take it quietly on main roads. But it's just too easy to leave the throttle open longer than you need to, or think it's in 5th when it's actually top gear and end up well over 100.

I'll enjoy the R1 while I can, but I can see something like a MT09 in my future.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I've never had cruise control on a bike, but my car has it. I use it everywhere straight and dull.

I'm controlling everything including the button under my finger to turn it off, but someone else is controlling the top speed (unless obviously I need to hit the pass pedal for whatever reason).

It takes a lot of the frustration out of transport sections in this regulated world we live in. Fortunately there aren't too many places like that where we most often ride over the hill in the sunny 'rapa.
    Yes I use cruise in my car for the same reason, I no longer worry about maintaining a 'boring' speed as my car deals with that. I could see cruise control on a bike being good for that too.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Yes I use cruise in my car for the same reason, I no longer worry about maintaining a 'boring' speed as my car deals with that. I could see cruise control on a bike being good for that too.
    I thought cruise was the ducks nuts until I got a car with adaptive cruise.

My bike has cruise, but once you have used adaptive cruise you are spoiled. I go up and down SH7 every weekday, and the car sorts the speed for me. The bike does too, but not as well as the car does.

Trickle down theory says I'll have a bike with adaptive cruise some day. But not today.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I thought cruise was the ducks nuts until I got a car with adaptive cruise.

My bike has cruise, but once you have used adaptive cruise you are spoiled. I go up and down SH7 every weekday, and the car sorts the speed for me. The bike does too, but not as well as the car does.

Trickle down theory says I'll have a bike with adaptive cruise some day. But not today.
    100% agreed, adaptive cruise is fantastic, used it a lot with some late model Euro's I've driven and like you say, you really are spoiled by it and normal cruise seems stone age in comparison.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I'd pay to see baggers in the IOM.

They still handle poorly enough that it becomes a wrestling match - which modern performance bikes have gone past.

As Cameron says, they're like the early superbike, great fun to watch.
    Wanaka Powersports has bought one of the $160k limited edition of 29 Indian race bikes. I wanna see it laying black lines around Wanganui.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Wanaka Powersports has bought one of the $160k limited edition of 29 Indian race bikes. I wanna see it laying black lines around Wanganui.
    That would be fun. But with that high a minimum weight and that much torque, NZ street circuit road surfaces are at risk.
    I can only think of one which wouldn't break up.

We've lost more street circuits due to a lack of a resurfacing budget than for any other reason.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    That would be fun. But with that high a minimum weight and that much torque, NZ street circuit road surfaces are at risk.

We've lost more street circuits due to a lack of a resurfacing budget than for any other reason.

Greg, I'm disappointed. Yes the weight but the torque at the rear wheel is why we have gearboxes and why R1s tear up tyres quicker than hardleys. (Despite, and the reason why they have different compounds).

Apologies on the back of a postcard. . .

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I used regular cruise quite often, latest company car is an EV with adaptive cruise. Effortless acceleration, deceptive speed, yep, adaptive cruise is freaken awesome. Use it everywhere, only drawbacks are the sensors not liking higher speed curves and it slows down, and false alerts where it suddenly thinks a car is in front and hauls on the brakes.

As soon as you're reasonably comfortable cornering at the speed limit most of the time, having something that can genuinely triple the open road speed limit... yeah nah. And then it just feels like a waste. For me (and losing multiple mates), there needed to be more than just speed from motorcycling, otherwise it's a one way trip. Took a while to adjust, was quite frustrating, but now happy with 100-120hp.

But hey, after plenty of power wheelies in 3rd gear on a 990SM, KTM is now upping the Superduke to a 1390, and the higher spec has 200hp... from a naked bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Greg, I'm disappointed. Yes the weight but the torque at the rear wheel is why we have gearboxes and why R1s tear up tyres quicker than hardleys. (Despite, and the reason why they have different compounds).

Apologies on the back of a postcard. . .
    I've been at two "last meetings" at street circuits cos of the surface breaking up. Wyndham and New Brighton. Wyndham it was the F1's and pre 82's did most of the damage. New Brighton it was Hepburn's GSXR750/1100 throwing rocks at the Irishman.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar

Even more fun 🤣😂😀 Even my lowly GSXR destroyed mates Kawasaki mirror with chuck of tarmac once so I accept that’s a valid concern. I didn’t realise the condition after events was a concern, that’s quite interesting thanks. Guess it’s the modern pay penny counting by councils plus OSH as well I guess.
    Tarmac costs are getting out of control these days really time for govt intervention and some price controls.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I used regular cruise quite often, latest company car is an EV with adaptive cruise. Effortless acceleration, deceptive speed, yep, adaptive cruise is freaken awesome. Use it everywhere, only drawbacks are the sensors not liking higher speed curves and it slows down, and false alerts where it suddenly thinks a car is in front and hauls on the brakes.

As soon as you're reasonably comfortable cornering at the speed limit most of the time, having something that can genuinely triple the open road speed limit... yeah nah. And then it just feels like a waste. For me (and losing multiple mates), there needed to be more than just speed from motorcycling, otherwise it's a one way trip. Took a while to adjust, was quite frustrating, but now happy with 100-120hp.

But hey, after plenty of power wheelies in 3rd gear on a 990SM, KTM is now upping the Superduke to a 1390, and the higher spec has 200hp... from a naked bike

Yeah my car is too old but dad's soober-roo had it. Was quite seamless on open road. Braking got a bit confusedly whipping into a turning lane approaching stationary cars at lights if you see what I mean.

I inherited that car but it was very quickly converted into a 765RS and a 300 Beta. Thanks Dad. Always looking out for me. Wife got a fun car, but to be honest we'd run well into our own money by then.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Pic is from pre 89 at Wyndham. F1's were offered a last race and declined. Same rider as the FZR pic was leading pre 82 and got a GS1000 completely sideways down the back straight. Guy in second told me he was waiting for the accident and looking forward to the win. Ha. Kev straightened it out.
    That was the last year at Wyndham.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FZR at Wyndham 2012.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	775.6 KB 
ID:	354435  

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I've been at two "last meetings" at street circuits cos of the surface breaking up. Wyndham and New Brighton. Wyndham it was the F1's and pre 82's did most of the damage. New Brighton it was Hepburn's GSXR750/1100 throwing rocks at the Irishman.
    No doubt. But 'Torque' isn't a mysterious force unrelated to HP. But you knew that anyway.

We only had one meeting around the Feilding Square street circuit. It was a blistering hot day and we filled our Yokohama 110s with tar, kinda mullering the surface.
    The local tarmac wasn't really compatible with TS100s and CB125s pushed to the cutting edge of adhesion.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Came across this elsewhere. Seen in Vietnam. Might suit HDC or Dave. Would probably suit me if I was up to riding much.
    No idea if it's available here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1588.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	251.3 KB 
ID:	354438  

Thread Information