Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another (road) litre bike bites the dust in Europe

Bike
    GSXR1000

Another (road) litre bike bites the dust in Europe

The R1 and R1M are being dropped from the road bike line up in Europe, like the GSXR before it. Euro 5+ emission laws and dwindling sales are the main, if not only, reasons. Like the R6 there will be a track only version.

https://www.rideapart.com/news/70959...tinued-europe/

Time for the long-rumoured R9 triple to make an entrance?

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Reckon a super adventure style tourer with that cross plane engine would be mean. I jumped straight off a slightly bigger v-twin onto mates r1 and was surprised how torquey down low it felt. Could also have been the severe weight loss lol.
    Give it slightly longer stroke and different cams for more down low and up cc to help pass emissions.
    But then they already have the FJ1200.
    A lot of people I know are buying up the early millennium Superbikes that are pre full on electronic aids and doing them up, maybe for the coming mad max apocalypse lol
    I think major issue is the aging populations bodies aren’t up to sports bike riding positions too. A mid range adventure bike embarrasses sports bikes on our roads let alone the bigger power versions.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Reckon a super adventure style tourer with that cross plane engine would be mean. I jumped straight off a slightly bigger v-twin onto mates r1 and was surprised how torquey down low it felt. Could also have been the severe weight loss lol.
    Give it slightly longer stroke and different cams for more down low and up cc to help pass emissions.
    A lot of people I know are buying up the early millennium Superbikes that are pre full on electronic aids and doing them up, maybe for the coming mad max apocalypse lol
    I think major issue is the aging populations bodies aren’t up to sports bike riding positions too. A mid range adventure bike embarrasses sports bikes on our roads let alone the bigger power versions.
    And, I'll hang on to my '18 ZX14R for now.

Agree with your comments. I'm still a young fella though...

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Doesnt help that a lot of NZ main and secondary roads would. in other parts of the world, be considered of an "adventure" standard with regards to surface and state of repair, eg the latest Itchy Boots trip where she is now in Angola, following construction after many years of civil war the roads are still better than what is classed SH1 here
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Some years back (between 10 and 20 ) a friend of mine who worked for BMW when talking to the big man from Germany had a point to make. He said the bikes keep getting bigger and bigger but the riders are getting older and older. Evidence suggests that not many manufacturers have realised this yet.

The problems of building prestige or 'passion', or whatever, into a comfy mid weight bike it seems are insurmountable - for now at least.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    The R1 and R1M are being dropped from the road bike line up in Europe, like the GSXR before it. Euro 5+ emission laws and dwindling sales are the main, if not only, reasons. Like the R6 there will be a track only version.

https://www.rideapart.com/news/70959...tinued-europe/

Time for the long-rumoured R9 triple to make an entrance?
    This has been coming for a while. It could leave WSBK in an interesting situation racing bikes that aren't for sale to the public.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    This has been coming for a while. It could leave WSBK in an interesting situation racing bikes that aren't for sale to the public.
    Or we go back to the days of homologation specials?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post

Apparently the bike is homologated until 2028. After that no idea.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Racing has been in a bit of a looming pickle for a while. The 600 feeder class hasn't got much of a base. 650 twins step up to Superbikes is not an attractive recipe.

You've all seen that US spectacle of Baggers, but it's kinda dumb, you need to put real money into those shitters to make them trackworthy. Unlike a 600 or a thou that you can race on a budget of tyres and bodywork if you need to.

Next we will have a LongLegged class of people racing Charlie and Ewan bikes (complete with adventure tyres I hope).

Dodgy might be along soon. Loved his R1M. But I parked it and said that I didn't want to ride it again because it was silly on the road.
    . . . Then again. . .
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Some years back (between 10 and 20 ) a friend of mine who worked for BMW when talking to the big man from Germany had a point to make. He said the bikes keep getting bigger and bigger but the riders are getting older and older. Evidence suggests that not many manufacturers have realised this yet.

The problems of building prestige or 'passion', or whatever, into a comfy mid weight bike it seems are insurmountable - for now at least.
    I don't see young people (teens to late 20s) riding bikes. Not to the extent that we did back in the day. The only large groups I have seen are the dudes out "pesting" on their C50's etc. It does seem to me that they are having a pretty good time and the "ride a little, get somewhere, stand around for ages and talk shit" aesthetic is alive and well with those people.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Racing has been in a bit of a looming pickle for a while. The 600 feeder class hasn't got much of a base. 650 twins step up to Superbikes is not an attractive recipe.

You've all seen that US spectacle of Baggers, but it's kinda dumb, you need to put real money into those shitters to make them trackworthy. Unlike a 600 or a thou that you can race on a budget of tyres and bodywork if you need to.

Next we will have a LongLegged class of people racing Charlie and Ewan bikes (complete with adventure tyres I hope).

Dodgy might be along soon. Loved his R1M. But I parked it and said that I didn't want to ride it again because it was silly on the road.
    . . . Then again. . .
    Racing is racing and that bagger racing is real racing. Plus its hilarious that something that ungainly can get tipped on its ear and hammered like they do. It helps that you have riders of the calibre of Jezza McWilliams etc on them, being paid well and it is two factory teams plus satellites. Do you listen to podcasts? Here's one with Saint Kevin Cameron talking about exactly that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiB3...nfXl1N&index=4
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Exercycle
    I'd pay to see baggers in the IOM.

They still handle poorly enough that it becomes a wrestling match - which modern performance bikes have gone past.

As Cameron says, they're like the early superbike, great fun to watch.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Ooh yes I do and have started dipping into this.

As he says, people enjoy novelty. You read my above idea here first.

Year after next they'll have to add their wife as pillion.

I'd actually just finished listening to a podcast and clicked over to kb. So my gift back to you, even though not mc related, give some good tips if you, like I, were considering starting a sex (is there any other kind) cult/church.

Search on you fav player:
    BBC, world of secrets. Skip the first season and get onto the 2nd one. The Disciples.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I don't see young people (teens to late 20s) riding bikes. Not to the extent that we did back in the day. The only large groups I have seen are the dudes out "pesting" on their C50's etc. It does seem to me that they are having a pretty good time and the "ride a little, get somewhere, stand around for ages and talk shit" aesthetic is alive and well with those people.
    They're out there, mostly on R3's, KTM's, Ninjas etc. In the facebook Canterbury rider groups there's a number of posts and pics of them out and about.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post

. . . Then again. . .
    Newish litre bikes like the R1 and RSV4 are too small for me, but I nearly bought a Tuono 1100 three years ago. It was the easiest bike to go stupid on that I've ridden, and also very comfortable!

Auckland went into an extended lockdown the day after my test ride, which gave me the chance to reflect on whether it was really a Good Idea. In the end, I decided not to buy it, although sometimes I think maybe I should have.

Thread Information