Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Media reports the price of car reg going up.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    WhoÂ’s gonna pay for that??? The taxpayer..
    Who pays for everything - the taxpayer. Roads didn't, and still dont pay for themselves.
    Also - most of the land required for rail is already used for rail, unlike the new roads that are taking more land. The lines themselves and the infrastructure need maintenance and upgrading. It's funny how thre is never any money for rail, but roads can get what they want.
    Yes there is a bit of double handling, but there is that anyway - no B-train ever pulls up outside my house to deliver a courier pack. And three days (minimum) for a parcel from Auckland to Wellington is considered pretty good, even though it never goes anywhere near a rail wagon.
    Ant the USA has a SHIT rail network compared to Europe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	us europe rail.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	354478  
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    It’s been available automatic/electronically for well over ten years in NZ, check out e-road.
    Trucking company managers love it as you can setup auto purchase and you won’t be getting fines for failing to display current label cause a driver left it in smoko room.
    Also-road enables claiming back off-highway mileage which can be surprisingly high.

Technology is progressing fast and on the back of everyone using covid tracer apps we will soon be hit with the MyDriver App. This will be a digital format of your driver licence, will use GPS to auto detect speeding and crashes and auto-fine you via your banking account. It will also autopay any parking charges and summarize your carbon emissions which will govern your allowed allocation of travel kms as a private citizen each year.

The arguments in support will be freeing up cops for more important stuff and stopping the oppression of the poor who get fines for forgetting to buy rego.

Also you WOF will be a QR code sticker you scan before every trip. No WOF no drive and ANPR camera will detect movement of any vehicle not logged in via phone system.
    Eroad looks interesting, but they'll need to be able to scale it up by a factor of 10 to handle light vehicles (91% of the fleet). That's not going to be cheap, plus the hardware costs (without the business write-off), data storage and privacy implications...when they could just put the excise tax up.

I'm not sure the Covid app ever worked, wasn't that why we had to manually scan QR codes ourselves all the time?

Oh, and I'm happy to let bicycles off the hook.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Who pays for everything - the taxpayer. Roads didn't, and still dont pay for themselves.
    Also - most of the land required for rail is already used for rail, unlike the new roads that are taking more land. The lines themselves and the infrastructure need maintenance and upgrading. It's funny how thre is never any money for rail, but roads can get what they want.
    Labour just had six years of a pure majority to do what they liked, what happened with rail some improvements but mostly nothing. Even with grant robetsons helicopter cash spray and pray they couldn’t bring themselves to invest in rail properly.
    A lot of rail land is gone, our rail head now has a PaknSave on it.
    Really for it to work we need double rail lines everywhere so trains can run both ways. A lot of there network is already at capacity.
    Unless you’ve worked in industry and seen both modes you’ll never understand that they are complimentary and we need both in a functioning modern industrial society. There is no magic way to “ get rid of trucks”.
    Our existing rail is also narrow gauge. The tracks are too close together for high speed rail and also the lack of width means not stable enough for the double stack container trains they use in USA.

Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    Eroad looks interesting, but they'll need to be able to scale it up by a factor of 10 to handle light vehicles (91% of the fleet). That's not going to be cheap, plus the hardware costs (without the business write-off), data storage and privacy implications...when they could just put the excise tax up.

I'm not sure the Covid app ever worked, wasn't that why we had to manually scan QR codes ourselves all the time?

Oh, and I'm happy to let bicycles off the hook.
    It’s a profitable business now I’m sure plenty will invest the capital needed when the business has gauranteed income!!!

May I refer you to the single source of truth who said covid app saved lives undoubtedly….
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Labour just had six years of a pure majority to do what they liked, what happened with rail some improvements but mostly nothing. Even with grant robetsons helicopter cash spray and pray they couldn’t bring themselves to invest in rail properly.
    Really for it to work we need double rail lines everywhere so trains can run both ways.
    The line that runs right behind my house was (originally) double tracked, then at considerable expense the second, unused tracks were removed and the road crossing converted to a single, about 15-20 years ago. Then in the past couple of years, converted back to double tracks and crossings to allow for the log trains from Waiararapa to Wellington harbour without having to schedule around the half-hourly commuter trains. So it can be done. in places, without the need for more land
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    It’s a profitable business now I’m sure plenty will invest the capital needed when the business has gauranteed income!!!
    Yes, guaranteed millions from everyone in set up and running costs before a single cent is spent on the roads. And scaling isn't always straightforward.

May I refer you to the single source of truth who said covid app saved lives undoubtedly….
    Dunno about that, but it was supposed to automatically do something with bluetooth in the background, which I don't think ever got used in the end.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/126...etooth-tracing
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Thread Information