Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Psychology of road safety

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I did a short loop through the North Waikato yesterday - Tuakau, Onewhero, Mercer, Mangatawhiri to Bombay for those who know the area. The roads were almost deserted except for a few cars near Mangatawhiri, great riding. The motorway on the other hand... Hate to think what it's like this afternoon.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    raptor 1000
    i was towing the boat home yesterday between waitaki and dunedin, had the cruise control set at 95 as thats 90 in real life, came up to a guy doing between 70 and 80, every time there was a passing opportunity he took off then dropped back again, and that included passing lanes, pretty sure if a cop caught me passing him i would be getting the ticket and he would be considered a safe driver

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    i was towing the boat home yesterday between waitaki and dunedin, had the cruise control set at 95 as thats 90 in real life, came up to a guy doing between 70 and 80, every time there was a passing opportunity he took off then dropped back again, and that included passing lanes, pretty sure if a cop caught me passing him i would be getting the ticket and he would be considered a safe driver
    Impeding the flow of traffic is a difficult one to police. The cop has to see it happening, then overtake the held-up vehicles to get to the person causing the problem. Often causing a greater risk than the original offence.

Of course, this isn't always the case, and it's frustrating to see cops doing nothing about a problem when they could.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    At least he was averaging 70, you wanna come up the east coast nth island.
    I think it’s a mix of extreme poverty and the long way to hospital (if anyone finds you in time) that is seeing a lot of locals cruising at 50k on open road in middle of nowhere. A lot of people have died up that way too given how sparsely populated the area is.
    I’m not talking one or two vehicles during a journey, I’m reckoning on about 30-40% of the vehicles you pass. And there not just farmers trundling up to next paddock or something as if you stop for pie or fuel you see same vehicles again.
    And they mostly have no intention at all about pulling over for a non local.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    And there not just farmers trundling up to next paddock or something as if you stop for pie or fuel you see same vehicles again.
    And they mostly have no intention at all about pulling over for a non local.
    Interesting the number of crashes at the weekend involving tractors.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    No doubt will attract the attention of the boffins for some kind of targeted campaign. In Reality likely a statistical blip because randomness cares not for our human sense of passing of time.

We will see more of that though most likely due to our ever expanding population meaning more chance of an inobservant road user being in wrong place at wrong time. Also as population expands there will statistically be an increase in the less intelligent because of equal distribution somewhat across the bell curve.

The Police give themselves a hard time about the road toll but really it should be given a population adjusted value just like govt measures economic performance online with inflation.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Surprising that the spokesperson did not attribute those to alcohol and speed like all the others.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Retirement is a bastard
    I hope not, today is my first day giving it a go and tomorrow I pick up a new bike by way of celebration.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    The Police give themselves a hard time about the road toll but really it should be given a population adjusted value just like govt measures economic performance online with inflation.
    Not population related, but VKT.

VKT = Vehicle Kilometres Travelled, measured in millions of kilometres.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VKT.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	252.2 KB 
ID:	354542

Beats me why the Police claim responsibility, disappointment, anything really. It's not like they have much influence on road safety.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Surprising that the spokesperson did not attribute those to alcohol and speed like all the others.
    Saint Simeon dragged out breath testing and roadside drug tests when asked about the Easter Road deaths. As if those things had any part in those deaths.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Saint Simeon dragged out breath testing and roadside drug tests when asked about the Easter Road deaths. As if those things had any part in those deaths.
    Heard that being talked about today. He likes his name to be pronounced sim-e-on, almost like simian, ie : of, relating to, or resembling monkeys or apes. I'll bet he got shit about that at school, now taking revenge.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Heard that being talked about today. He likes his name to be pronounced sim-e-on, almost like simian, ie : of, relating to, or resembling monkeys or apes. I'll bet he got shit about that at school, now taking revenge.
    The PM is drinking Simeons kool aid. Trotted out the impaired driver mantra today.

Thread Information