Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Riding like a dickhead - confessions of an old biker.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Lol went in for a Doc cert yesterday for licence renewal ...75 yrs !! Tomoro is the day DOB 10/4/49

Did some strange little tests like draw a clock and remember a name and address after being told it.
    The nurse did that part and asked do you drive an automatic , I said yes and I ride bikes they're manual !!!! you ride motors bikes ????? How often ? I said once a week ! Then it started !
    I felt like a dottery old fool after she'd finished !!!

Have to do it all again in 5 years !

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    We inflict helmets on cyclists. So why not car occupants?
    how many people actually get head injuries in car accidents, like they are belted in, theres not a lot or places the head can actually come in contact with?

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Who would have thought that if you pulled out to overtake without looking behind you you might get shunted off the road?
    Yet I've seen it happen numerous times (not accidents but riders not looking behind before overtaking).

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Yet I've seen it happen numerous times (not accidents but riders not looking behind before overtaking).
    That's one thing I've caught myself do once or twice over the years. I've absolutely no idea why, given the amount of attention that I give to most aspects of my riding. Maybe it's a combination of not doing all that much overtaking and, after being stuck behind someone for a good while, just going for it when an opportunity arises.

Regardless of the reasons, I've given myself a good telling off when it has happened, and try to be more analytical in my approach when a potential overtaking opportunity arises.

I have a personal mantra that my riding is only as good as my last decision. Years of safe riding mean nothing if I do something brain dead in the present moment.

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Lol went in for a Doc cert yesterday for licence renewal ...75 yrs !! Tomoro is the day DOB 10/4/49

Did some strange little tests like draw a clock and remember a name and address after being told it.
    The nurse did that part and asked do you drive an automatic , I said yes and I ride bikes they're manual !!!! you ride motors bikes ????? How often ? I said once a week ! Then it started !

Think about the 'cognitive test' you were given: in your opinion, how much relevance did it have to driving? Did it check anything to do with identification of hazards? did it check your reaction times? did it check your ability to discuss how you would deal with a specific road/driving/riding scenario? did it check your observational skills?

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    Heard another in what must be the same series on the radio, this one about riding after drinking I think?
    Yes, heard that this morning. Part of the same series.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Think about the 'cognitive test' you were given: in your opinion, how much relevance did it have to driving? Did it check anything to do with identification of hazards? did it check your reaction times? did it check your ability to discuss how you would deal with a specific road/driving/riding scenario? did it check your observational skills?
    From what he said it was more about them doubting his questionable life choices e.g. riding a motorcycle.

Bike
    It was on the good
    She was just trying to hold you there for 15 minutes to see if you soiled yourself.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    She was just trying to hold you there for 15 minutes to see if you soiled yourself.

Do you think that is a fetish thing?
    I'm sure I could squeeze one out. Which testing centre is that?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Exercycle

Jeeze, you must come across as a tad damaged. Mine was a few questions during which I revealed I regularly backed a full size van down a narrow driveway - and an eye test.
    Then i proved how acute I am by going back the following day so the doc could correct the certificate by putting the right date on the bloody thing.
    Me 1 Doc 0

Bike
    09 GSX1400.

Haha don't laugh ! Nearly shat last Saturday in the car ! The old Crohns was acting up and i nearly didn't make it home with the Pizzas !!!!!!!!! lol.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Jeeze, you must come across as a tad damaged. Mine was a few questions during which I revealed I regularly backed a full size van down a narrow driveway - and an eye test.
    Then i proved how acute I am by going back the following day so the doc could correct the certificate by putting the right date on the bloody thing.
    Me 1 Doc 0
    Cheers grumph, I reckon I present as pretty good. No one picks my age (essspecially with a hat on lol).

But yeah the tests were bullshit ! Eye test was ok, I used the old "Made in England" when she said can you read the bottom line hahahaha.

I'm still getting used to using the bloody backing camera in the new car,after looking over the shoulder and checking blind spots for 60 yrs !!!! Garked the alloy rims a couple of times,which pissed me off.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Cheers grumph, I reckon I present as pretty good. No one picks my age (essspecially with a hat on lol).

But yeah the tests were bullshit ! Eye test was ok, I used the old "Made in England" when she said can you read the bottom line hahahaha.

I'm still getting used to using the bloody backing camera in the new car,after looking over the shoulder and checking blind spots for 60 yrs !!!! Garked the alloy rims a couple of times,which pissed me off.
    In fairness to my doc, we'd just spent 15min discussing my meds. During which i specified exactly what I wanted - and why. Suspect he was glad to see the back of me so raced through the licence form. Hence the wrong date.

I'm looking forward to when the wife has to renew hers. She still can't back anything even with a reversing camera, two well set wing mirrors and a clear view out the back. And she's argumentative....

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries

That's a bit surprising. My recollection of the 75 year thing was that it was basically about handing over the cash.

I was worried about the 80 year one and bought glasses in case I failed the eye test without them. That was a good idea because I did fail it. I had looked at what I could find about the Montreal Cognitive Assessment because that's an option when you renew at 80 and I didn't want any nasty surprises. That's the test Trump repeatedly claims he aced. The question that bothered me was where early on they tell you to memorise five random words, then later in the test ask you what the five words were. Bonus point if you get them in the right order.

One guy I know failed the MOCA and had to pay $700 for a driving test. He just had to take the tester for a drive, there were no silly questions. He passed that.

Below there is a sample MOCA. There are probably big pads of these all different in detail but they seem to follow a similar format.

Oh and happy birthday!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2024-04-10 at 3.00.08 PM.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	232.0 KB 
ID:	354583  
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Cheers pritch, yes, it was really about handing over the money ! ?

Medical Cert after seeing Doc, $90 !

NZTA/AA $21 for the new licence (which arrives in two weeks by mail system!).

I'll be ready for the 80 yr old test in 5 yrs .

Thread Information