Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Riding like a dickhead - confessions of an old biker.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Ha. Thanks for posting that form. This could be quite surreal.

I've had to do some of that by phone as a follow-up for an extended hospital stay. I got the words in the wrong order to be fair. Then again, she said her name saying it was a 5 month check or something and I repeated the words back. . . Erm, that's later in the test. And I have to tell what they are first ( I remembered them from several months back).

But next time I can say, lion, rhinoceros, camel. Obviously on the phone she can't show the pictures, but she will know the test and go "what the?"
    Now I just need to commit that to memory and repeat it fast enough that I couldn't look it up on a random call.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Yet I've seen it happen numerous times (not accidents but riders not looking behind before overtaking).
    I'm always very careful overtaking motorcyclists as I'm sure most of those I pass don't know I've been following them. I certainly don't check my mirrors often enough, which is something I am working on as I do ride slower at times now.

Had a near miss last weekend on a group ride. I had slowed down to find somewhere to stop to take a photo, moved to the centre of the road with my right indicator on, checked my mirrors before pulling off to see another rider about to pass me on the right.

We both braked and he passed on the left, but it could have easily gone wrong.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I'm always very careful overtaking motorcyclists as I'm sure most of those I pass don't know I've been following them. I certainly don't check my mirrors often enough, which is something I am working on as I do ride slower at times now.

Had a near miss last weekend on a group ride. I had slowed down to find somewhere to stop to take a photo, moved to the centre of the road with my right indicator on, checked my mirrors before pulling off to see another rider about to pass me on the right.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    Add to this many riders replace the standard (usually pretty large) indicators with little tiny LED units that can be hard to see.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Add to this many riders replace the standard (usually pretty large) indicators with little tiny LED units that can be hard to see.
    So true. I'm very happy that my set up has 4 indicators at the rear, 2 built into the tail lights and 2 in the tail piece.

Bike
    R1200RT LC

The standard for mirror use on a CBTA test is every 6 - 10 seconds, and every time you are slowing down. Because that's when you REALLY need to know what's behind you. Head checks before moving sideways too.

Most riders seem to think their bike has a mirror so it can get a WoF. Years of CBTA testing causes me to watch riders I'm following even after moving on from the industry, just to see how their riding is. Most wouldn't pass a licence test these days.

And yet they will all tell me how long they have been riding for, as if that's a proxy for how well they ride. When often the inverse is true.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    I reckon most motoryclist just dont believe any else will pass them

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    The standard for mirror use on a CBTA test is every 6 - 10 seconds, and every time you are slowing down. Because that's when you REALLY need to know what's behind you. Head checks before moving sideways too.
    I recall reading about WWII fighter pilots - "you stop moving your head - you're dead" Constant head checks, up, around mirror, instruments, forward and repeat. Maybe not enemy fighters anymore but they're still out to get us
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    The R1 had flush mount indicators at the front and the rear indicators were integrated into the red LED taillight. I am not sure quite how it got a WoF like that, but the inspector at the AA testing station said no. Fortunately, the bike came with a large box that had all of the original parts and I refitted the standard indicators. I left the LED tailight as it has nice, bright brake lights.

Some newish bikes don't have great lights. I ride with someone who has a Street Triple R and you can barely see the rear indicators on a sunny day.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    I reckon most motoryclist just dont believe any else will pass them
    That's been my experience!

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    The R1 had flush mount indicators at the front and the rear indicators were integrated into the red LED taillight. I am not sure quite how it got a WoF like that, but the inspector at the AA testing station said no. Fortunately, the bike came with a large box that had all of the original parts and I refitted the standard indicators. I left the LED tailight as it has nice, bright brake lights.

Some newish bikes don't have great lights. I ride with someone who has a Street Triple R and you can barely see the rear indicators on a sunny day.
    Under braking, indicators on tail tidies basically disappear.

Especially at night.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

Most riders seem to think their bike has a mirror so it can get a WoF. Years of CBTA testing causes me to watch riders I'm following even after moving on from the industry, just to see how their riding is. Most wouldn't pass a licence test these days.

And yet they will all tell me how long they have been riding for, as if that's a proxy for how well they ride. When often the inverse is true.
    I used to put my hand over the rearview mirror and say, whats around us and behind ?????? They didn't like it !!!!

Mirrors ,I'm on it all the time . Also just one reason I like to keep moving forward on the bike. Keeping myself with a clear road if possible.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    GSXR1000
    I put a horrid pair of mirrors on my bike years ago, sure they looked discreet but offered terrible vision. I felt incredibly vulnerable riding with them, I was constantly expecting someone to rear end me. I got rid of them quickly and replaced them with ones that actually work as they should and I use them constantly. I'd admit not every 6-10 seconds, but definitely when braking or stationary at an intersection. I like that I have room for improvement, gives me something to aim for.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    I like that I have room for improvement, gives me something to aim for.
    Your blood should be bottled.

Oh, that's right, quite a lot of it was.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I recall reading about WWII fighter pilots - "you stop moving your head - you're dead" Constant head checks, up, around mirror, instruments, forward and repeat. Maybe not enemy fighters anymore but they're still out to get us
    We used to teach that as the 'Messerschmitt flick'

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I was going to add there's a penchant for crap mirrors. Especially upside-down bar end. Wow that's cool.
    And you have to look down.

My 765RS came with the most effective bar end mirrors I've used. They are safely on the shelf and the old 675 ones removed to take their place.

To my shame the 675 got sold with some Ali ones a mate had bought. They were OK if you scrunched your shoulder and the object behind moved into exactly the right place.
    Meh new owner would have bought the same along with some shorty levers and micro indicators anyway.

Thread Information