Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FILTERING THE TRAFFIC

Bike
    Ducati 400ss
    I actually find lane splitting quite addictive. I use to start out splitting at starionary traffic because it was annoying waiting there.

Now I find myself searching for an excuse to lanesplit on the motorway. I will often lanesplit at over 100kph, and obviously theres just no need for it. I see the gap in the traffic and its almost like I have to split.

I've even found myself in situations when there's been a cop parked in rush hour traffic. I've had to restrain myself from even lanesplitting there. The temptation to split, cop turns on his lights and so I split even faster to out run him is just so overwhelming.

Thats why i'm going to go to the other scale of things and just play it really conservatively. I just don't have the discipline anymore to lanesplit a little bit. Its all or nothing.......

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Have you ever tried lane splitting on the motorway behind two cop cars trying to get to an accident. Bloody effortless and awesome fun too (its not often I get to chase police cars )

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    of course, you need to make sure they don't get cancelled to the call out because all of a sudden they have nothing to do but bust drivers... *bugger*

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Sitting behind a bunch of Hardleys is almost as much fun. Slipstream in that little bubble they leave as they cleave their way through the traffic...
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher
    Or in Kay's case, a "ginger ninja minger"...
    Get thee to Auckland and you could stop in at Ninja Burgers...

I wonder if they'd deliver a Ginger Ninja Minger Burger? (I wonder how they'd react to the order...!

$2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    I actually find lane splitting quite addictive... I will often lanesplit at over 100kph, and obviously theres just no need for it. I see the gap in the traffic and its almost like I have to split.
    The fingers just start twitching, don't they? It takes a conscious effort for me to not 'make my own gaps' at anything under 120-ish.

Maybe if I had a little more delta-v in reserve I wouldn't hate slowing down in a straight line behind cages so much.

Bike
    '98 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    Well, from a pommie point of view your all very well behaved when it comes to lane splitting. In the UK my daily commute consisted of 50km's along the M4 each way and I'd happilly lane split at 90mph(relative to the traffic, if traffic was doing 40mph then I'd probably be doing 50mph'ish), yes it was dangerous and yes I'm lucky I didn't get wiped out, although I had a few close calls(which generally slowed me down for a few days) it's very easy to get blase about something that you do every day, twice for half an hour each time. It is VERY good at improving your concentration and reaction times but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Yes it probably pissed a few people off but the vast majority either moved out of the way or stayed exactly where they were, because they knew the suss. My attitude? Ride how you want, just dont be suprised when someone kicks you in the teeth!
    Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Bike
    GSXR600K3 - Alstare
    Yes i think that idea of the law in england for lanesplitting is a darn good one, also since i ride a bike when in the car i always move to the left so that the bike can get thru, i almost think all the ppl who do that at some stage have had a bike or own one at the time as well.
    Those who dont learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.

Bike
    2011 Yamaha xvs1100
    Reading the Kiwi Rider mag the editor has asked the "Police" (the person in charge) about the legality of lane splitting but as yet has not received a reply.
    My time in Auckland lane splitting was essential to get to work on time (Dury to Royal Oak) If one did not leave at a time to wake the sparrows. Only got pulled over once. there was an accident on the motorway everything had come to a grinding halt. I slowly made my way to the front where they were letting one car through at a time. The copper ordered me off the road and had to wait 10 mins just sitting there untill he let me past.... go figure

Bike
    RF900
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro
    Geez, don't be shy man, let it all out.

When I got warned for splitting lanes last June it got me on a mission. I wrote letters to the papers, the AA, and Kiwi Rider. I rang a few traffic stations and talked to the cops. I also took the opportunity to check a few of our fellow bike-riding police officers who I bumped into. Every single one I spoke to said they wouldn't bother with a motorcycle splitting lanes, unless it was stupid, as it was only a $150 fine. The car guys especially as they can't get through the traffic much faster than 30KmH even with the lights going. Two of the bike guys said they rode bikes privately and understood what it was about. What I gathered but can't prove is that there is only one bike riding cop in Auckland who will pull you over and ticket you. I got warned a second time by the same guy so I suspect it's him. I'm sure I only got a warning as I split real cautiously. I've also never had a problem filtering past a police "car", even when they have got free space in a lane and pulled back up beside me. Being on a non-aggressive MB100 might help and reduce the hoon image and therefore the suspected requirement for issuing a ticket. Being an old bastard might help too.
    sorry but this is utter bollocks the three times I have been done for this offence I was doing about 20klms
    the traffic cops on the Motorway gridlock would not make quota without pinging bikes and they exercise zero discreetion they have no place in my heart
    Your never to old for a sportsbike

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Roller
    . I slowly made my way to the front where they were letting one car through at a time. The copper ordered me off the road and had to wait 10 mins just sitting there untill he let me past.... go figure
    You should have asked him what section of the Act allowed him to forbid you to ride for 10 mins. Still, he was probably just doing his job
    Lou

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    I've been past police cars splitting lanes without a problem. I don't pass police bikes because of my theory and the impossibility of identifying the officer.The question to Red is - Were you stopped by a car or bike?? Any idea if it was the same police person??

Thread Information