Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine swapping

Bike
    10 HUSQ TE310, 06 HONDA HORNET 900

Engine swapping

ho hum, is engine swapping relatively straight forward? i understand that depending on existing bike and engine u want to dump in it u may need to look at carbs, exhust, tune it all right etc, what would dumping a zxr 400 engine into my zxr250 involve ?_?

im curious on anything engine swappign related~
    2008 DB1K 1dayer - 2006 XR250L
    2009 DB1k 1dayer - 2005 KLX400R
    2010 DB1k 1dayer - 2004 KDX125SR
    2011 DB1k 1dayer - 2008 WR250R

Bike
    sorry, should have been in sub forum

Bike
    Blackbird with a million k's on it
    Quote Originally Posted by zeRax
    ...what would dumping a zxr 400 engine into my zxr250 involve ?_?
    I think that one's been looked at many times by 250 riders wanting to go faster and look legal... It don't fit in the frame unfortunately, neither does the CBR400/250.

One that has been done a million times is FZR600 into FZR400 - cos the frames are the same dimensions, just the 600 is steel and the 400 is alloy. Another popular one I know of is early ZX9R engine into ZX7R frame. I think it works for 'B' model 9R engines and most '90s model 7R frames.

The best one I've heard of though is CBR900RR Fireblade engine into ZXR400 frame!
    Linky -> http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/zxr400/eds.html
    Quote Originally Posted by thealmightytaco
    It's like a bunch of guys talking calmly, sharing advice, all utopian like, and then BAM, drunken hobo slams his jug on the table and tells everyone they need to start punching each other.
    Interesting.

Bike
    '87 CR500, '10 RM144
    Not familiar with ZXR's,but engine swaps can vary from bolt-in changes (like the old gixxer 7-11's) to farkin near impossible,like trying to fit a ZX12 engine to a ZZR 250.
    You need to do a shitload of measuring on the engine,sprocket offset,sprocket height,rear lower engine mount is fairly important as it's one of the hardest to accomodate,basics like length,width (head especially) and height,and don't forget to see if the carbs will fit under the tank(preferably with an airbox) and that the radiator will still fit between the exhausts and front wheel.
    Then be prepared to do a heap of cutting and welding,and making lots of mounts and brackets.It will be twice as much work as it looks.Then there's the headaches of making the suspension work with the heavier engine and of course certifying.....
    But it can usually be done,I've seen piccys of a cbr400 with a 900 blade engine in it,a gsxr 400 with an 1100 engine,an old srad gixx like mine with a newer thou engine,a ZX7 with the ZX9 engine,and one of the bike mags did a blade with a blackbird engine.I had a VFR400 (nc30) here with a vfr750 engine squashed into it.
    If you're keen you can do it.
    Drew for Prime Minister!

www.oldskoolperformance.com

www.prospeedmc.com for parts ex U.S.A ( He's a Kiwi! )

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATH_INC.
    Not familiar with ZXR's,but engine swaps can vary from bolt-in changes (like the old gixxer 7-11's) to farkin near impossible,like trying to fit a ZX12 engine to a ZZR 250.
    What about a KX500 engine into a AX100 frame?

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    Kyle, the answer is NO, don't even think about it.
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    small dimension frames a hard to repower coz of fine tolerances.
    ZX9 into ZX7R frames are simple swap ( got pics)
    GSX-R 11 into GSX-R 750 simple ( got pics )
    RG 500 into RGV250 simple ( pics)
    GPZ1000RX into GPZ900 easy ( almost brought 1) nudemetalz mate brought the same bike years after
    XR600 into KR-1s simple ( pics )
    FZR1000 into YZF750 simple ( pics)

got plenty more engine swaps on file, some hard to get done but worth the effort, others straight forward but why people did it god knows ? example is a Ducati SD900 motor in a 85 mod GSX-R 750 frame mmm odd! and years ago in CHCH there was a Vespa scooter with a CB900 honda engine slung in it !!!! imagine that !

Bike
    go away stu!, thx for input guys, so can be simple in some cases but some takes some wicked enthusiasm, cool, wow @ vespa with cb900 engine heh

cheers for link crashharry, em about to check it out, cheers guys, thats the info i was after

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    Im sure you will end up with some probs mate. Just be careful.
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper
    Im sure you will end up with some probs mate. Just be careful.
    guaranteed ! the biggest thing you've got ask yourself is it worth it? weigh up the pros & cons & your bound to realise that the expense will out weigh the benefits! the reality of doing such things doesn't just stop at swapping the engine, everything has to be taken into account.
    unless you've the finance to create a toy, your better off living with what you've got until you find the bike your really after!

see the attached pics of modded bikes, they haven't been done cheaply & their owners have designed bikes that have purpose, barring the walter mitty GSX-R/ducati which looks just like a dare that went full term!

save your coin till you find the right bike dude!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZX7R ZX9R convert.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	20143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GSX-R750 1100.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	20144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KR-1 XR600.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	20145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GSX-R750 GSX1100ET.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	20146   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DUKE GSX-R750.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	20147  

Bike
    06 10 WITH ALL THE FANCY BITS
    I heard certain zxr400 models (john knows this one..) just needed new mounts to drop in to 250's. Reading the manuals for them both the stroke on the two engines is almost the same, just obviously the bore is different. Quite a few things are very similar or the same in specs etc across the board apart from speeds...

I heard it has been done before from multiple people.

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Similar or like Engine May drop straight in ,,Such as the 400 to 250 swap ...but UNlike engine the crankshaft balance factor may ( most probably ) will have to be taken into concideration ...Not so much with small engine ito big frame ,,,BSA Bantam D7 with big bore kit ,,,into A Hardly Ableson as the ableson frame will just absorb any vibrations ,,,,,,But the other way a Rc211 into a FS1E frame will A twist the frame ,,and B Vibrate like a basket ...You get the point ,,,
    The Best one I remember was the old NZ motor corp in CHCH ,,the young lads there put a big Donk in an Austin A40 ,,,,,,,,ok around town ,,,planted boot along bealey Ave ......Shankes Pony Home ,,,Twisted Firewall ....

Me I want A CR500 water cooled in an Apprila RS 50 chassis .....

With fully adustable 50mm forks

Stephen
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

In the good old days of the British motorcycle a manufacturer used the same frame across several models,the engine and gearbox being bolted in with plates - so it was easy to fit a completely different engine,even from a different manufacturer....that's where such names as Triton,Tribsa,Norvil etc came from,and the frame makers Rickman called their first bikes Metisse,which means mongrel in French,as they used genes from many breeds.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    1998 suzuki RG150e (AETC)... X2
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    Metisse,which means mongrel in French,as they used genes from many breeds.
    Are you sure it wasn't because they ran like dogs?
    I suffer from hooliganism.... Know me before you judge me
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...7&postcount=83
    i need to practice my "this shit doesn't burn" face
    Welcome, ZorsT.
    You last visited: 1st November 2007 at 22:15

Maybe your's did,perhaps something to do with your mechanical skills - but mine ran perfectly and handled like dream,still haven't ridden a bike so connected to my brain.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Thread Information