Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Speed Camera?

Bike
    Black
    Quote Originally Posted by CaN
    Been flashed twice fron the front about 3 months ago and seen nothing yet.

It would be interesting trying to mount a front plate on the Blackbird.
    Only place you could mount it is forward on the guard such that it protruded beyond the front of the front guard and wheel or on the nosecone covering the ram air inlets.
    I can't find the link now but I was looking at a site a while ago which was the preliminary report to Victoria Roads regarding front motorcycle plates.

They were trialling reflective stickers across the front of the fairing/blade for faired bikes and vertical ones on the fork legs for naked bikes. I doubt if you're going to see rigid metal plates on the front of bikes again.

The whole issue arose due to bad publicity like this.

Cause ---> Effect.

Bike
    None any more
    Maybe we could have a design competition...
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacD
    I can't find the link now but I was looking at a site a while ago which was the preliminary report to Victoria Roads regarding front motorcycle plates.

They were trialling reflective stickers across the front of the fairing/blade for faired bikes and vertical ones on the fork legs for naked bikes. I doubt if you're going to see rigid metal plates on the front of bikes again.

Cause ---> Effect.
    No one is talking about these plates causing instability and we also haven't heard from manufacturers about the issue either.
    The lawsuits would be interesting in the event of a death wobble.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Actually, instability was/is one of the big problems the wankers are running into in Victoria, and a major reason why they haven't done anything yet.

None of the major manufacturers are willing to endorse having any sort of rigid plate stuck on the front, and in the absence of such endorsement they're too scared to go ahead. The "wrap round the fork leg" doesn't work very well (read "at all") cos of caliper mountings and such like. And when wrapped it's pretty well unreadable anyway.

Basically they're claiming that on any bike they can find SOMEWHERE they could put it, but it's DIFFERENT on every model. And being the burearcrats they are, they figure they have to specifiy a mounting location in the legislation. Which is hard, cos they'd have to list every model of every bike made, ever!. Not to mention how they deal with after production changes (add a fairing, remove a fairing, all quite legal) . And the problem of illumination came up too. Odd actually, you are required to have a rear number plate light on a car, but not a front one Anyone want to try putting a little light on a fork leg?
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Black
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    None of the major manufacturers are willing to endorse having any sort of rigid plate stuck on the front, and in the absence of such endorsement they're too scared to go ahead. The "wrap round the fork leg" doesn't work very well (read "at all") cos of caliper mountings and such like. And when wrapped it's pretty well unreadable anyway.
    The report I saw admitted all of these issues at least. They had also tried a flexible rubber/plastic plate system. Fork leg stickers aren't going to work on USD forks either. So hopefully it will get put in the too hard basket.

However the best defence is not to give the police/politicians photographic ammunition against bikers in the first place.

Of course they could just use rear-facing camera systems like in the UK. The big orange things on poles with markings on the road that are designed to slow people down, not just give them tickets.

Bike
    '06 Honda Fartblood
    The BEST speed camera shot would have to be the one of two people in the front wearing BEAR SUITS. The licence plate had been obscured with a card that read "Big Ted"
    True.
    Keep it rubber-side down...

Bike
    Formulating negotiation strategy.....
    I agree with every one who's said STOP BEING A DICKHEAD - slow down for cameras (FFS - they aint hard to spot) and if you do get snapped don't flip the bird, pull a wheelie or anything else. If we act like boy racers, we will be treated like boy racers.

_

Bike
    Shanksters Pony
    If they set the vans up with front as well as rear mounted cameras then that would negate the need for front mounted number plates.

I'm off to give Robbie a call.

Bike
    600RR3
    Quote Originally Posted by spudchucka
    If they set the vans up with front as well as rear mounted cameras then that would negate the need for front mounted number plates.

That's still a far better solution than front plates, so just make sure the knob doesn't go that route.

Cheers Spud

Bike
    El Bandito Negro
    Quote Originally Posted by Psalm42
    630 dollars, DAM thats a lot of donuts...........
    Or half a tank of gas for the V8 Holdens

Bike
    06 10 WITH ALL THE FANCY BITS
    Quote Originally Posted by ScumKiller2
    I agree with every one who's said STOP BEING A DICKHEAD - slow down for cameras (FFS - they aint hard to spot) and if you do get snapped don't flip the bird, pull a wheelie or anything else. If we act like boy racers, we will be treated like boy racers.
    Yeah that's true... I have only done it once to a radar and the fixed ones never go off for me.

/Stops. I don't want a front plate or some scheme to do it. A stick on plate wont work on a late model zx12r... there ain't enough surface area that is straight or else it will have to be 7cm long and 3cm high or so LOL good luck reading that in a slightly blurred photo.

Bike
    Bavarian Beast,Matchless G80S,SJ50QT
    Quote Originally Posted by MacD

Cause ---> Effect.
    Bloody RAC (in NZ read AA). Another "Motorist" organisation who are seemingly anti motorcycle . However these groups have definate influence on public and bureaucratic thinking on issues related to "motoring" and seem, imho, to be using us (bikers) to maintain that profile.
    You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudchucka

Good idea Spud, except the Gummint will say it'll cost X to fit front facing cameras, as against making the suckers pay for their own front plates.
    What shall we do? Decisions, decisions.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    Hondaaar me hearties
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin
    Good idea Spud, except the Gummint will say it'll cost X to fit front facing cameras, as against making the suckers pay for their own front plates.
    What shall we do? Decisions, decisions.
    You claim that the cameras will pay themselves off. It's probably true.

Bike
    '10 R1, '07 ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by bugjuice
    i have no idea on this, but curious myself.
    if the cam is facing you, then the operator has to read your plate as you pass.. possible, but don't know if they do, or quick enough. It's hard to read when the plate is facing the floor cos of a wheelie
    Half these guys are asleep anyway and cant imagine them during a concerntrated period of time being about to react quick enough to manually read the plate flying by. Interested to know if they have equipment and proceedure to deal with this valid point
    View my new blog at www.girlybikes.blogspot.com
    Perfection is not something you should ever attain, but something to always strive for. For if we actually achieve our idea of perfection, is it then any longer perfect?

Thread Information