3 6.98%
  • It's a crap idea and I would never do it

18 41.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Distance based rego fees for bikes

Bike
    Tojo and nothing. Damnit.

Distance based rego fees for bikes

In NZ drivers of diesel vehicles and vehicles over 3.5 tonnes pay by the KM in the form of road user charges (See http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/commercial/ruc.html ) .

Anyway, if you are like me for whatever reason, you bike is mostly a toy. A serious toy, but a toy. Mostly used on the weekends and fine evenings. Where I live at the moment, I don't ride to work because I live 30 mins walk away from it. If I did live further away, I probably would use my bike as a commuter vehicle.

Now it would suit me, money wise, if I payed charges based on the distance I rode on the bike, like a diesel car owner does. I wouldn't pay all that rego for not much use. In my case I have done less than 10,000km in two years.

It would also suit me if I wanted to start a small collection of bikes that don't qualify as classic vehicles yet (They get cheaper rego) but I still wanted to ride them on public roads.

Would some sort of KM charge instead of time based rego suit you too?

Your thoughts? Just wondering..

Bike
    R1100s / SV400
    I can see logic in your posting.
    If you (we) paid by the Km then owning multiple bikes would be cheaper in the rego department. For a number of riders it would be benificial so the Politicians will never let it happen.
    Could be worth lobying them though.
    Soccer - A Gentlemans game played by Hooligans. Rugby - A Hooligans Game played by Gentlemen.

Bike
    Sniff... None
    Never let common sense get in the way of government policy. For me, it would be a pain in the ass on the bike cos I commute and play, therefore expensive. But I agree in principle, particularly as I'd make it up if they introduced it on cars and I paid bugger all for my MX-5 that I use almost solely to take my daughter to school in the morning - a total of about 50km a week.
    "You, Madboy, are the Uncooked Pork Sausage of Sausage Beasts. With extra herbs."
    - Jim2 c2006

Bike
    El Bandito Negro
    maybe.. but I've done 10,000 km in the last five months
    that's three services so far :-o

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander
    I can see logic in your posting.
    If you (we) paid by the Km then owning multiple bikes would be cheaper in the rego department. For a number of riders it would be benificial so the Politicians will never let it happen.
    Could be worth lobying them though.
    Well, they already let us put rego on hold for time, essentially for free. I imagine many bikers put their pride and joy's rego on hold during the darkest bits of winter and use a cage. Or have a seperate commuter bike for corrosion perposes.

Bike
    84 GSX-R 400, ...Now Sold , Bikeless now
    I think its a brilliant idea, but there would need to be an option for guys that do high milege to just pay a normal rego fee.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    I have two bikes, one that gets used a lot, and one that only does a few kms each year. Personally I believe the fairest way is to pay the ACC component through petrol charges, and only a small annual fee for maintaining registration. That you we would pay each time we filled up, and if we chose not to ride for long periods of time, then no charge other than a small admistration fee.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by madboy
    But I agree in principle, particularly as I'd make it up if they introduced it on cars and I paid bugger all for my MX-5 that I use almost solely to take my daughter to school in the morning - a total of about 50km a week.
    I don't think they'd do it for cars, carbon credits you see. Carbon in the engine essentially equals carbon out. Taxing the fuel makes more sense for the majority of vehicles.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar
    Personally I believe the fairest way is to pay the ACC component through petrol charges, and only a small annual fee for maintaining registration. That you we would pay each time we filled up, and if we chose not to ride for long periods of time, then no charge other than a small admistration fee.
    But that makes less sense for fuel guzzler vehicles, which may or may not be safer than misers. I sympathise with the guzzlers, I want a nice old V8 american tank one day...

Bike
    Yes I do
    If you can afford the toy pay the Reg. It's like whining about the cost of petrol when you buy a Hummer.

Sedge.

Bike
    none
    It's a crap idea mate, What about all us that commute on our bikes,plus fun rides on the weekend, plus long tours and such?

Sever
    Now and forever
    you're just another lost soul about to be mine again
    see her, you'll never free her
    you must surrender it all
    And give life to me again
    Disturbed - Inside the Fire

Bike
    "Bagheera" GSX1400K5
    Fu*k off, I do long distance touring. They get me through the fuel anyway. Beside WE hooning pace is more risky than tour pace
    New Zealand......
    The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid")

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure)
    DON'T RIDE LIKE YA STOLE IT, RIDE TO SURVIVE.

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    Good and bad idea. I wouldn't like it, but others may.
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

Bike
    Bandit 250(for sale), 636
    Quote Originally Posted by limbimtimwim
    Where I live at the moment, I don't ride to work because I live 30 mins walk away from it. If I did live further away, I probably would use my bike as a commuter vehicle.
    30 minutes and you dont take the bike?!
    i live about 15 minutes away but going home is up hill.......

wouldnt mind if the rego was cheaper aye....
    1990 Suzuki Bandit GSF 250 for sale 39k kms $3,500

Bike
    2008 105th Ann Ultra Classic
    Why do it we pay RUC through the gas we by, it is not a part of the reg fees.

Take the ACC part off the reg and put it on the drivers licence. Then you would only pay one levy instead of one for each motor vehicle you own!!!!

It is supose to be a no blame legistation so why do motorcycle riders get stung?
    Ride and Have Fun

Thread Information