Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: riding with a cast

Bike
    2003 BMW F650cs

riding with a cast

Hi there i am going in on monday to have my cast changed for the 6 week one.

I am hoping to get it shaped so that i can ride motorbikes with the cast on.

any sugestions on how to have the cast shaped so that i can ride.

info
    cast is on the right arm, throtle arm

thumb is broken so cant be moved.

motorbike mostlikely to ride is susuki gsxr 250

one of my ideas was to have the hand angled up so. with most of the palm exposed so that i can wrap my fingers around the handle grips.

(apologies for speling having to go online at tech)

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't even think about it if I were you. There would be insurance issues (i.e. you'd get NONE riding with the cast on), and I am sure that police would take a really dim view of you riding with cast on. You could be potentially charged dangerous driving, as you may not (in the opinion of the policeman) have sufficient control over your vehicle.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    I got black flagged at Manfield once on a fun day for going too fast for my "group" on a friends FZR250. When I came into the pits, the guy came to tell me off then REALLY blew a fuse when he saw I had a cast on my right arm and no glove.

Ah the hand's fucked anyway!

Bike
    2003 BMW F650cs
    how did you have your cast shaped white trash?

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kasper
    I admire your singlemindedness.
    Lou

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin
    Lou
    Well hell, guys race with broken hands,ankles, etc. and riders with one arm are not uncommon!
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    1999 Kawasaki ER-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin
    Lou
    This is just Kasper being Kasper

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPman
    Well hell, guys race with broken hands,ankles, etc. and riders with one arm are not uncommon!
    Yup, but having gone into this extensively in the past due to various bits being bound up in plaster, external fixation, and braces, the insurance companies and the police are both very much against it. Racing isn't road conditions, and if you are one armed, and rehabilitated, and the insurance company agrees to insure you - well that's a different story in their eyes altogether.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by kasper
    Um......it wasn't. Broken scaphoid though so they set it at a bloody wierd angle anyway!

IMHO you should wait though mate. My wrist is absolutely fucked now, mostly because I didn't follow doctors recomendations. In a few years time I'll suffer chronic arthritus. 6 weeks aint so long to wait, man.

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=White trash]you should wait though mate.[QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. When I was 17 I totalled my GP125 avoiding some drunks in a Holden Ute coming the wrong way down the road. Did a superman off a traffic island and into a fence.

Had a neck injury but continued riding etc regardless of doctor's instructions.

Anyway now I'm in my late 30s I've now got a funny neck that never really stops hurting - I can put up with it easily enough but I sometimes wonder if it would be here if I'd done what I was told at the time...

ditto the lumps on my rib bones, the wrist which goes click, click and the reconstructed knee which hurts whenever the weather get wet etc...

anyway, my point - it's not now these things stuff you up - its in your 30s and on. Who knows how I'm gonna feel at 60 - not looking forward to it.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash
    Um......it wasn't. Broken scaphoid though so they set it at a bloody wierd angle anyway!

IMHO you should wait though mate. My wrist is absolutely fucked now, mostly because I didn't follow doctors recomendations. In a few years time I'll suffer chronic arthritus. 6 weeks aint so long to wait, man.
    Been there done that. My right wrist hurts most days for most of the day and doesn't like being knocked. I broke it, it got better,it was just fine, now it's a problem - 20 years later.

Bike
    GSXR600K3 - Alstare
    hold off dude a cop would have a field day on ya if they saw that. And being the police i reckon ud find urself looking at some kind of driving charge, reckless or carless or dangerous. Either way 6weeks really aint that long jus think how quick the bike will feel when u finally get to ride it again
    Those who dont learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.

Bike
    Triumph Sprint ST
    reckless or carless or dangerous
    carless driving for sure...

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    kasper, had you thought about how you are going to corner if the cast is past your elbow?? you kinda need to change the effective length of your arms to move the bars and if the cast is that high, you're fresh out of luck!

just wait man, its not as bad as rooting it long term

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Kasper, broke the base of my thumb in 3 places 18 months ago and it's just a no no. The base of your thumb is pressed against the bars when you're changing direction and it's the brace for pulling in the brake. So apart from being unable to roll your wrist for throttle on and off, having your thumb poking sideways along the bar, not being able to wear gloves or get a jacket over your arm, having difficulty steering and braking go for it.

BTW I broke my thumb on a practice day and tried out the plaster the next day to see if I could race......needless to say it wouldn't work for me.....good luck with the physio and the pain of riding once the plaster comes off...6 weeks isn't bad.....I was nearly 4 months.

TTFN
    Legalise anarchy

Thread Information