Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New helmet after its 5 years old LAW.

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    most lids have a month/year stamp, or some sort of code or batch code. It's just if the codes make sense. But every lid should have some form of ID on it

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    I replaced my helmet last year after seven years - but during those years I wasn't riding every day or even every week at times so the 'old' helmet is still in very good condition.

The padding had worn, of course - it wasn't loose or dangerous but the helmet wasn't as snug as it was in the beginning. It felt fine until I bought the new one and then I realised how lovely that was compared to the old one!

If it had ever received any hard knocks or had been in an accident, it would have been replaced no matter what age it was.
    Yes, I am pedantic about spelling and grammar so get used to it!

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by bugjuice
    do you think the weather would affect the composites of plastic, fibre glass and CF helmets at different rates? Plastic ones are the first to go, without doubt (for a 5 year stint), but would FG and CF last longer? Not saying don't replace them, but just saying that they would be more durable over that period
    I don't believe the "deteriorates after 5 years regardless" thing for fibreglass. It is correct for the "plastic" lids (Polycarbonate is it ?) but the fibreglass ones, no. Otherwise there ould be an awful lot of sinking glass boats around. My old FFM Mach1 (which was my spare for years, so it never got used) is still in good nick, and used for commuting.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    It's not just the shell that deteriorates, the interior absorbs sweat and other greebies, the foam loses it's energy absorbtion, the padding compresses and the fit gets loose.
    Besides, a helmets requirements are a bit different to boats.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    Cagiva Navigator 1000
    When my helmets are done and I replace them I cut the straps off them to stop them from remaining in service..
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've just high-sided!
    مافي مشكلة

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin
    It's not just the shell that deteriorates, the interior absorbs sweat and other greebies, the foam loses it's energy absorbtion, the padding compresses and the fit gets loose.
    True, but those are only going to happen if a helmet is in use. I agree that a helmet should be replaced once it is tired and worn. But I'm not convinced that a fibreglass helmet (eg a spare one) that is unused deteriorates just in storage
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    SV650s K5
    I replace when they get slooppy, usually every 18 months as I use it every day.

What else is there to do!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Girardin
    Well bugger me! And here's me thinking that as my leathers shrunk my head was too! I thought I was going to end up a pin head,nice to know I'm as bigheaded as ever!
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    I'm quite fond of my smelling ol FFM bean protector. Thinking about getting a new pudding basin helmet to replace it with, honest.

Bike
    Nood Hyosung 2fiddy
    I think there has been too much emphasis put on "5 years" in this thread. Plastics deteriorate natually in any environment, this includes resins used to hold glass and carbon lids together. They all start as liquids and set (or dry) into solids. They will keep setting or drying out for their whole life as the volatile components keep drying out making the helmet more brittle and less flexible. Variations in the environment can accellerate this and the biggies I'm aware of are solvents (even a "closed" petrol container in the same storage area), UV exposure and ozone (got a fridge or freezer in the garage? Near your helmet and tyres even for that matter?) Obviously this isn't the super scientific lowdown but you get the idea. I am a qualified rock climbing instructor and have been involved in indepth rope testing. So what? Rockclimbing ropes are made from a combination of plastics exposed to the elements and most importantly they are the sole thing, in most cases stopping you dying in a fall. When you go for a ride you don't bin it every time but most climbers fall at least once a day while out climbing and often a few times on each route tried in a day. The rope stops the climber dying by being strong, not brittle during a fall and absorbing impacts by retaining its supple, flexible qualities JUST LIKE A HELMET.

Sorry this was a freekin novel but I haven't been on for ages and it's all pent up! He he he!
    I'm selling my new riding gear!! Only worn a few times get a deal Kiwibikers!!
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...53#post1414653

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Folks I'm thinking postie is getting mixed up with the racing rules.
    MNZ doesn't put an age limit as such on our helmets.
    They just every year require out helmets to display standards stickers.
    The standard required is updated every year(?) so the effect is in reality the lid can't be more than 5 years old.
    I think somewhere in the road rules it does say smething about -You must wear an aproved motorcycle helmet --Ie no turbans,tophats,riggers helmets or bicycle helmets
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    nah, he's not got it mixed up with racing. It was from what someone told him when they were stopped by the fuzz.. i think..

Bike
    2008 Kettweisel Style.

Arrow So tell me...

Do we have to provide proof of how old the helmet is? We just get a fine if they think its older? I'd like to see a copper try to give me a ticket for this shyte as I'd drag their arse through the media to proove a point. It never amases me how many laws that are out there but not made appartent to the public. If we are not informed of such laws, why do the authorities expect us to comply with them?
    Those who insist on perfect safety, don't have the balls to live in the real world.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by inlinefour
    If we are not informed of such laws, why do the authorities expect us to comply with them?
    When I was going to Tech in Wellington in the early 70s we were told that there were over 7,000 laws in this country . Parliament have been making them flat out ever since and unless you are gay, or a prostitute, or both, you will not have noticed too many being repealed.

God knows how many there are now, but ignorance of the law is no excuse...
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information