Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats with the speed limit lowering

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    I am in for forming a political pressure group to work on sensible law reforms vis a vis biker safety.
    Like why the fuck do they put cheese graters every where. New bit on SH1( just south of meremere) they have created a little cheese grater corridor, ok I understand the need for traffic seperation from oncoming lanes, but why the fuck is it on the left!?! To stop you crashing in to cows? It leave absolutely no avenue for escape on a bike, or a car for that matter.

And they say it is a cost issue. It is about time the different Gunnmint department had a little chat. Sure cheese grater barriers save a few thousand a kilometer or whatever, but the ongoing costs of health care and rehabilitation should a fellow biker come off in to could easily reach the millions of dollars!

Bike
    2003 Yamaha XT225, 2010 Electric scooter
    Quote Originally Posted by sAsLEX
    New bit on SH1( just south of meremere) they have created a little cheese grater corridor, ok I understand the need for traffic seperation from oncoming lanes, but why the fuck is it on the left!?! To stop you crashing in to cows? It leave absolutely no avenue for escape on a bike, or a car for that matter.
    Am familiar with that bit - it puzzled me too as to why they put cheese cutters down the left. Shits me right up going through there in a cage, let alone on a bike!

Their rationale is "well, no biker has hit one yet, so they're safe"

I have no desire to be a martyr to "The Cause" and be the first biker seriously FUBAR'ed on one of those things to wake up the pollies. Would love a bit of govt funding to set up a seriously accurate crash-test using a fairly fresh cadaver (a freshly-killed politician would be ideal but we'd have to make do with someone who'd donated his corpse to science).
    http://wolfmotorcycling.freehostia.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny side up View Post
    It is amazing what you can do with a big hammer and a lot of care.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R

I have no desire to be a martyr to "The Cause" and be the first biker seriously FUBAR'ed on one of those things to wake up the pollies. Would love a bit of govt funding to set up a seriously accurate crash-test using a fairly fresh cadaver (a freshly-killed politician would be ideal but we'd have to make do with someone who'd donated his corpse to science).
    Imagine their face :
    Orgainse a meeting with the plonk who doesn't give enough money to fund proper barriers. Walk in with a chilly bin. Go to shake his hand...opppss no right arm as you lost it to the cheese grater, no worries pull it out of the chilly bin with you left and shake his hand with your mangled remains of your old arm.

Then beat him with it for fun!

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by JMemonic
    But then of course one needs to realise that government would create an new ministry to administer this
    And I won't be a part of that new ministry and then I'll be left in peace and no drop-kick slack jawed mouth breather will interupt my beer drinking to whinge how their brothers sister-in-law got a ticket wrongfully "'cos the car won't even DO a 100kmh and she was just about to get it a warrant and register it as soon as she got paid for the DVD player she sold and her benefit came through...."
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by sAsLEX
    Imagine their face :
    Orgainse a meeting with the plonk who doesn't give enough money to fund proper barriers. Walk in with a chilly bin. Go to shake his hand...opppss no right arm as you lost it to the cheese grater, no worries pull it out of the chilly bin with you left and shake his hand with your mangled remains of your old arm.

Then beat him with it for fun!
    It would never work - most Kbers couldn't organise a shit in a prune factory, (some can't even organise to stay upright) - the pollies are pretty safe
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    2007 SUZUKI GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by **R1**
    im undecided,

will my bike be crushed for doing wheelies?

will the open road limit for bikes be....as fast as ya bike can go?

will it be compulsory to stop for coppers?

do i have to have mirrors and indicators on my bike? (they look gay)

and will you have 100 octane fuel at ALL gas stations?
    i agree with **R1** on this
    S.G.C. & C.K.M.C.

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    Quote Originally Posted by JWALKER
    i agree with **R1** on this
    You mean you agree with me, who is agrreing with R1
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

Bike
    2003 Yamaha XT225, 2010 Electric scooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper
    You mean you agree with me, who is agrreing with R1
    JWALKER, you copy-copy-cat!
    http://wolfmotorcycling.freehostia.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny side up View Post
    It is amazing what you can do with a big hammer and a lot of care.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    Bandit 1250S ,sold the wifes bike
    Nothing like hijacking a thread
    Please NOTE: If I offend you with any of my posts or comments, please remember that.

1. I do it on purpose
    2. I dont give a shit
    3. Tell some one who cares.

Bike
    2007 SUZUKI GSXR1000
    JWALKER, you copy-copy-cat!
    argh. . tis true.
    but, as sniper will be able to tell you, i have a hard time keeping AROUND the law, i find it very hard on a motorbike
    S.G.C. & C.K.M.C.

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    Quote Originally Posted by JWALKER
    argh. . tis true.
    but, as sniper will be able to tell you, i have a hard time keeping AROUND the law, i find it very hard on a motorbike
    Mate :spudwhat: :spudwhat:
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

Bike
    WR250R

Defensive driving

Quote Originally Posted by snuffles
    Nothing like hijacking a thread
    I'll reply to the original topic for you.

I like the driver ed idea, and I would add practical training on pushbikes in heavy traffic to hone those defensive driving skills.
    Theoretical defensive driving courses are a bit dull. Near death experiences with cars doing dumb things would spice it up a bit.

4WDing is also good driver training, you learn a lot about vehicle handling, thinking on your feet etc. And you are only doing 30km/h, so you stay in one piece when it all turns to custard (if only the same could be said for pushbikes).

And I would start a sensible series of road safety signs. Can't think of any off hand, but I'm sure I could do better than "What is around the corner" (placed in the middle of the exceptionally long straight on SH 38), or "15% of crashes involve trucks" (presumably the 85% that don't involve trucks aren't of concern).

Maybe I should go into politics. It has to pay better than science.

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    im in! im all for the driver training once they hit 15, but make it optional. when i was that age i had no interest in driving and still dont. maybe for those that dont want to drive cars, put em on bikes instead...125's to begin with, going up each year until they leave school. [biggest being 250, obviously]

impose cc or whatever restrictions on cars 15 year olds can drive. get rid of those shit sounding mufflers they all have too. ick. lol.

also, can something be done about petrol prices?? it costs $12 to fill the gn now, yikes!!
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie
    I'll reply to the original topic for you.

I like the driver ed idea, and I would add practical training on pushbikes in heavy traffic to hone those defensive driving skills.
    Theoretical defensive driving courses are a bit dull. Near death experiences with cars doing dumb things would spice it up a bit.

4WDing is also good driver training, you learn a lot about vehicle handling, thinking on your feet etc. And you are only doing 30km/h, so you stay in one piece when it all turns to custard (if only the same could be said for pushbikes).
    the simple solution to shit drivers, make it compulsory for every body to first get up to their restricted motorcycle licence before they are allowed to even sit in a drivers seat in a car.
    Cibby play thing

Bike
    Something red and quick
    Put extra levies on SUV and family-saloon car imports

Put subsidies on sport bike imports

Lower income tax for Middle-income earners.

Abolish GST on computer parts

Put breast-enhancement into public health services

Elite Fight Club - Proudly promoting common sense and safe riding since 2024
    http://1199s.wordpress.com

Thread Information