Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A couple of questions about Harleys

Bike
    Chosing, again
    I rode a new 883 sporty about 10 years ago, and I was amazed at how it felt so similar to riding my Honda XR 500 trail bike.

Bike
    Eeyore
    Harley also dont flood the market with bikes. From memory they produce slightly less than they can sell which keeps up market demand therefore price. That said buy one now prices are pretty good eg FXD Super Glide -2000 price $23,800, 2001 $25,800, 2006 $24,950 XL 883 Sporster-2000 price $14,900 2006 $14,100 get in while our dollars still good.

Me too - rode a new 96 Sporty and it felt just like my old XS1 Yamaha with all the faults fixed - I felt very ''at home'' on the bike,as if
    I'd been riding it all my life.I'd love one....but if I had that much money to throw around I'd do something else with it - but yeah,once I had everything else I want in life I'd put a Sporty in the shed too.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    Yeah,an XR750...and I'd love to ride one too,on a half mile,a mile track would be soooooo scary! The ugliest Harley ever made was the XR1000,a criminal act...
    I cant believe those guys.. no disrespect to speedway, but US dirt track racing is so amazing.... (Imagine Kenny Roberts on a TZ750 dirt tracker in the '70's !!! ???) and not winning all the time. defeated by a then old design

and have you seen that XLCH for sale on tardme? $20k??

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase
    I test rode a Buell XB12S last Friday night. By no stretch of the word can it be described as a "tractor" !!!

At real world speeds (and slightly above :satan: ) they are a reaally great sprotbike, and still pretty comfortable to ride......

Its the same money ($20k) as everything else Ive looked at, and you get belt drive and some cooooool engineering solutions.

I really really rated it, not as a non HD or as an HD, but as a real world just jump on the bike and go motorbike.
    i tend to disagree,no disrespect at all but i to rode a xb12s as well,yes in real tight stuff it was ok but anywhere else it just kept on running out of puff big time,i ride an old TLS and there was no way my mate could keep up with me on his buell,we swapped bikes and same story,no mid range and even less up top.at $20k its a bit of a joke compared true sports bikes,it wouldnt know what way a gixxer 1000 went and i think they have a nerve calling the thing a sports bike to be honest,each to there own i guess but when i think sports bikes a buell doesnt enter the equation.a shame as they look the part but that motor is just shit.

Bike
    BMW K75
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls
    its a bit of a joke compared true sports bikes,.
    thats why when motorcycle news put a buell on the road and timed it thru the corners the buell was faster than an R1 or an R6 (one of them anyway)

Bike
    so your telling me that both you and motorcycle news think that a buell is in the same league as a gixxer thou,R1 etc,funny i didnt see any of them at wanganui last year or for that matter any other real world circuit.look at the figures,there is no way they can compete even on the road,when i rode my mates one i could stay with the TL in real tight stuff but as soon as there was even the smallest straight he was gone while the buell was reving its guts out and going nowhere,not trying to put them down just telling it the way it is,every mag i have read said the same thing,ok but just runs out of puff .

Bike
    BMW K75
    so your telling me .
    ???

I just quoted the facts published by MCN

obviously by your definition a sports bike is fast in a straight line and cornering is not quite relevant

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Put equal (good) riders on a Buell and a TL in the twisty's, the TL rider will need a road map to see where the Buell went.
    Until the next decent straight that is.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll
    ???

I just quoted the facts published by MCN

obviously by your definition a sports bike is fast in a straight line and cornering is not quite relevant
    no not at all,a sports bike should be fast period,the roads arent made up of endless corners,wish they where we will just have to agree to disagree i guess,there is no way anyone will convince me that a buell will keep up with any of the top 4 japanese sports bikes,they dont on paper and i have yet to see it done on the road or track.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I couldnt be less interested in owning a "pure" sports bike (like most of us, been there, done that, mailed my licence home), but if I did I would probably get a ZX636, (or Daytona 675)

I said "Compared to everything else I looked at" and that list has been/is:

HD XL1200R
    Ducati Monster S2R or second hand S4 or 4R
    Moto Guzzi Breva 750
    Triumph Bonneville/Thruxton
    Ducati ST2
    BMW R850R

The Buell was the most like a sprot bike of any of and was plenty quick enough for me. the thing I didnt like particularly was the ponderous slow gearshift.... but I guess you get that with all those big lumps of metal spinning round. I also didnt like the electric fan but can see the need for it.

You'll see from the list above I really have no idea what I want, hence the necessity for testrides.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    no not at all,a sports bike should be fast period,the roads arent made up of endless corners,wish they where we will just have to agree to disagree i guess,there is no way anyone will convince me that a buell will keep up with any of the top 4 japanese sports bikes,they dont on paper and i have yet to see it done on the road or track.
    I agree re agreeing to disagree. I also think you miss the point.

Thread Information