Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Basic handling skills…?

Bike
    WR250R

Basic handling skills…?

What sorts of things do I need to know/learn for the basic handling skills certificate? I've been doing some practise around the car parks at work, and want to make sure I'm on the right track.

The LTSA website goes into great detail about the full licence test, but is suitably vague about the rest of the licensing process.

So, any pearls of wisdom from people who have recently got their licence?
    I know I'm probably worrying too much, but I'm that kind of person. Thus I want to be prepared, lest I become stressed and have a meltdown at the handling skills course.

Ta.
    Rosie
    Not-quite L-plated rider

Bike
    Superman's Bike
    well i had no bike experience AT ALL and it took a long while to get the clutch control which was where i almost failed but if i had that then yeah should pass with flying colours
    Whats that star?, its the deathstar, what does it do?, it does death!

Bike
    Boulevard, Ducati.
    You dont need to know much, its very simple all you're doing is weaving in between cones, stopping ,indicating while turning, riding at walking pace and pulling stoppies, ok maybe not the last one

Bike
    EX500s - Ruby
    Get a copy of the road code for m/c.It tells you all you need to know
    Diarrhoea is hereditary - it runs in your jeans

If my nose was running money, I'd blow it all on you...

Bike
    WR250R
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightMike
    You dont need to know much, its very simple all you're doing is weaving in between cones, stopping ,indicating while turning, riding at walking pace and pulling stoppies, ok maybe not the last one
    Yeah, having trouble with stoppies. Not through lack of encouragement from Mr Rosie though.

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    mine was cone weave, indicate when turning [both ways] and stopping in a corner [both ways] also slow riding, and emergency stop [at a speed of 20k, some emergency stop speed, lol] pretty easy really...took i think half an hour.
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    Boulevard, Ducati.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie
    Yeah, having trouble with stoppies. Not through lack of encouragement from Mr Rosie though.
    What about wheelies? that light little two smoker of yours should do the trick

Bike
    Honda Bros 650 (Pre 89)

!!

Yeah mine had several cone weaves and an emergency stop, nothing with indicators though. Although I didnt have to do the emergency stop cause I was having so much trouble taking off on the bike I was given. Apparently the bike I had been learning on had way more torque (I could get it moving with the clutch alone). So yeah when it came to the test bike I didnt just have to use just a little throttle, I had to use lots. Must of set a new stalling record

Bike
    SV 650 Racer
    I found i had to practice the cones alot, i was practicing on a GN250 and the bikes the instructor provided are 125's, from what i hear its a hell of a lot easier to do on the 125. I almost missed it when i sat it on the 250 but pulled it through. the rest was pretty basic, Just practice heaps
    It's better to Burn out than to Fade away - Cause thats value for money!!

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    i used a gn as well....found the cones tricky, even though the guy who took me set the cones out as wide as he could get away with. he said its cos they are quite long bikes. might pay to practise some cone weaves before you go, thats something i nearly failed on.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Why do they have this obsession with cones. In all my years of riding I don't think I've ever had to dodge around cones, or anything resembling them. I don't see the relevance for road riding. Trials riding , maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    2001 Yamaha Virago 250
    Cones were a nightmare on the Virago 250 as they are not set for bikes with a long wheel rake. The instructor tried to do at the correct LTSA setting and he failed miserably!!! So how the F was I supposed to do it! He learnt a big lesson!!! :spudbn:
    Small and dangerous with a sting in my tail!!

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    Why do they have this obsession with cones. In all my years of riding I don't think I've ever had to dodge around cones, or anything resembling them. I don't see the relevance for road riding. Trials riding , maybe.
    closest ive come to cones would be clusters of sunken manholes! or level manholes in the wet, lol.

Bike
    None any more
    Don't fall off, or your instructor will fail you and you'll have to repeat the course. Good luck!
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    SV 650 Racer
    Also find out how much you can get away with in the test adn use that to your advantage. I think in our test if you put one foot down but completed the cones in control you could pass as long as everything else was sweet
    It's better to Burn out than to Fade away - Cause thats value for money!!

Thread Information