0 0%
  • Both since the engine is measured in imperial but everything else is metric

4 15.38%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick question about metric and imperial cruisers

Bike
    El Bandito Negro

Quick question about metric and imperial cruisers

I saw a Suzuki Boulevard at the rally today, and it struck me: Suzuki just rebranded their entire cruiser line in cubic inches.

S40 (the 650 cc savage), C50T (800 cc tourer) S50, M50, S83 (Suzuki intruder 1400cc), C90T and the new M109R

Now, are these "metric" cruisers, imperial (non-metric) cruisers or both (since engine size is imperial but all the bolts are likely to be metric)?

Bike
    No bikes at my house
    Metric propoganda for yanks and Harley riders
    "Here for a good time... not for a long time" DUREX

Bike
    Tojo and nothing. Damnit.
    I think you should add another poll option:

UGLY

Bike
    ST1100
    The single cylinder one is iffy but I like the look of most of the range. They are metric for certain though.

Bike
    Hodor
    Quote Originally Posted by thehollowmen
    I saw a Suzuki Boulevard at the rally today, and it struck me: Suzuki just rebranded their entire cruiser line in cubic inches.

S40 (the 650 cc savage), C50T (800 cc tourer) S50, M50, S83 (Suzuki intruder 1400cc), C90T and the new M109R

Now, are these "metric" cruisers, imperial (non-metric) cruisers or both (since engine size is imperial but all the bolts are likely to be metric)?
    Who gives a fuck realy if I was into that sort of thing whitch I'm not Id get a Harley as all the other ones are just for wannabe's

Bike
    ST1100
    And Kawasaki ZRX1200R's are for...?

Each to their own mate.

Bike
    Hodor
    Quote Originally Posted by ApplicatioNZ
    And kawasaki ZRX1200R's are for....

Each to their own mate.
    People that dont want to get sore wrists from riding in a racer position you got a problem with that...?

Bike
    El Bandito Negro
    Quote Originally Posted by zrxer
    Who gives a fuck realy if I was into that sort of thing whitch I'm not Id get a Harley as all the other ones are just for wannabe's
    ppfft harleys are just indian wannabes

I'm just curious as to where the imperial or metric terms really apply to such cruisers. Not gonna buy one, but it did make me think all philisophical-like while drinking.

Bike
    ST1100
    People that dont want to get sore wrists from riding in a racer position you got a problem with that...?
    No problem at all, but have you got a problem with people who ride metric cruisers?

What I meant by "Each to their own" is that each person will buy a bike they:

1. Like the look of.
    2. Can afford, and if applicable,
    3. What the missus/mister will let them afford.

Notice when someone questions your choice of bike, a sort of defensiveness can kick in - like you might say "You got a problem with that?..." for example.

That's why I follow the school of thought that if it's got two wheels and someone loves it, then that's cool with me.

Quote Originally Posted by thehollowmen
    Nothing has changed,it's just a different method of engine measurement.It's an easy way for Suzuki to cut printing costs - S83...compared to - Intruder 1400...with all the brosures and adds in magazines that all adds up to a fair amount of ink,then there is the branding on the bike.Suzuki are not stupid y'know.

Bike
    El Bandito Negro
    I hope we don't see the GSX61R any time soon

Bike
    1990 Yamaha Virago XV1100
    It's funny how as soon as someone asks a perfectly rational question about cruisers, you can count down the seconds until a sprotsbike rider will come and piss on the conversation.....

Interesting question, THM. My interpretation is that the term "Metric Cruiser" was originally given to non-American bikes, as these were normally classified by CC capacity, rather than Cubic Inch.

In my opinion changing the measurement system changes nothing else. The Suzuki Boulevard range are still to my mind "Metric" (Japanese).

Strange situation - I'm guessing that Suzuki are trying to break free of the "Metric" label in the States. But a rose by any other name.....
    Can I believe the magic of your size... (The Shirelles)

Bike
    El Bandito Negro
    Quote Originally Posted by Virago
    My interpretation is that the term "Metric Cruiser" was originally given to non-American bikes, as these were normally classified by CC capacity, rather than Cubic Inch
    That's why I think we might have to re-define the term and make the yardstick the spanner set that you get in the toolbox... metric or imperial.

Actually, that's going to be my formal proposal :-P
    Lets call them metric because they've got metric tools.

Bike
    suzuki intruder vs1400 04
    If you,re not into cruisers then why bother replying to the question.I,ve just spent part of the weekend with 140 non harley riding triumph owners,if you,d like to call them wannabe,s i,d be more than happy to arrange it for you.

Bike
    1990 Yamaha Virago XV1100
    Quote Originally Posted by vs04
    If you,re not into cruisers then why bother replying to the question.....
    Cause he's what I would descibe as a "well-balanced" sprotsbiker - he's got a chip on both shoulders.....
    Can I believe the magic of your size... (The Shirelles)

Thread Information