Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: plate size

Bike
    Registered. For now...
    Quote Originally Posted by markauckland
    another hole they don't have any to start with....
    Yeah, I heard there were some like that. The hole drillers must have been on strike... Still didn't make it legal to drill a hole, though.
    ACC - It's where the Enron accountants all went.

Bike
    2002 HD Chopper
    "Displayed Other Than Appropriate Registration Plates" $200 instant fine.

Same cost as obscuring your plate to avoid camera photos.

Bike
    moped

re plate size

I took my original plate to a sign writer who does grafics, put the plate on a scanner,sized it down to 130ml across and 50ml high so that it would fit across the rear gard, used silver reflective tape same as the background of the original.it looks like a miniturized version of the original. Had this on for two years,traveled 12000klm,gone through testing stations no problem.
    But in simple terms its illegal.!!!!
    Probably ive behaved myself on the road and not had any need to be pulled over, and if so it would depend on the officer and what type of mood he's in at the time to give me a ticket for this offence.
    Regarding the fine, ive built heaps of flip up no plates manual operated,a mate of mine got pulled over one day and forgot to flip it down , the cop saw it looked at it said thats an ingenious set up mate,and because he had his senior officer in the car who also saw it,gave him a ticket,as theyed never seen anything like it before,it took them a while to go through the book to find what charge to ping him on, all they could book him on was obscure plate, resulting in my mate paying $50.00.

Have fun
    "GROW OLD DISGRACEFULLY
    "

Bike
    Registered. For now...

A slice of humble pie, please madam

Yep, seems the new plates (the low profile ones at least) don't come with holes drilled in them. Which makes me wonder how you are supposed to bolt them on, coz drilling holes in Helen's plates still ain't legal.
    The older "barn door" plates came with 2 holes drilled at the top. They are famous for snapping off when mounted onto big singles.

Bike
    BMW K75
    any modification to a plate or making your own plates is illegal

got a ticket a few years ago for making my own plate

i went to court and fought it on the basis of safety ie the plate as issued constituted a dangerous fixture or fitting and as such contravened the WOF regulations

pigs declined to press any evidence after I presented my case and the case was thrown out of court, because the pigs knew they were backing a lost cause that would render all plates as being illegal

shortly there after those stupid square eyecharts with the characters on two rows were dropped and the old style of plate reintroduced with all the characters on one line

Bike
    Registered. For now...
    Ain't it funny how the Oz state of Victoria (where the Land Transport Stupidity Authority orwhateverthefucktheyarecallednow get all their ideas from) have quite small plates for bikes, yet our minders refuse to consider the idea...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by What?
    ...have quite small plates for bikes, yet our minders refuse to consider the idea...
    Actually, measure the height of the letters on a cage plate, then measure a bikes. The bike plate letters are actually a bit smaller...

But who needs all the white space?? get rid of it
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by What?
    Ain't it funny how the Oz state of Victoria (where the Land Transport Stupidity Authority orwhateverthefucktheyarecallednow get all their ideas from) have quite small plates for bikes, yet our minders refuse to consider the idea...
    What about other states where a front plate is needed??
    Off the record you're least likely to get pulled over for a cut-down plate if it IS the plate for a bike and not some home-made thing, however you can still get away with a home-made one most of the time if it looks real.

Hypthetical problem with a home-made plate is that (if you're rich enough) have two bikes/one rego. - real plate on one, home made on t'other.

And as somebody else said, there is always the chance you'll do something stupid and the modified plate might be yet another ticket....
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Registered. For now...
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog
    What about other states where a front plate is needed??
    In Australia??? But, yeah - wouldn't a 916 just look sweet with a plate bolted on the front...

Bike
    -
    Can you get plates remade? For example if a puchase a registered bike that has the old school 2 lined number plate can i get a new single line one made/replaced? If so how much will it cost? And how do i go about doing it, post office i pressume. Its just that the big ones are so dam ugly!!!

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by blitz
    Can you get plates remade? For example if a puchase a registered bike that has the old school 2 lined number plate can i get a new single line one made/replaced? If so how much will it cost? And how do i go about doing it, post office i pressume. Its just that the big ones are so dam ugly!!!
    I thought you just rocked up to the PO and swapped them (and paid the apppropriate fee and filled in the form etc etc)

Bike
    -
    Oh sweet. Ill see if i have time 2moro to go find out.

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by blitz
    I can change plates at AMPS - $8.80. There's no choice of plates though.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    2001 DUCATI 900SS
    Quote Originally Posted by loosebruce
    Number plates????????????
    and mirrors???????????????????????/

Thread Information