Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Life After Bikes!

Bike
    Sold

Question Life After Bikes!

It's inevitable- one day you will stop riding motorcycles! Life circumstances change where sometimes the unthinkable is unavoidable. It may be financial, or God forbid that you have an accident which halts your riding experience, or maybe you'll just one day get too old to lift that leg over?

I had a spell off bikes for several years when I got married but eventually got back on them, I've got the "bike bug" you see.

When do you think you will stop riding? Maybe you have already- pray tell?

Zed

Bike
    08 ZX-6R Race Bike, FXR150
    Not going to stop until im so old i can't stand up..... I want to be like my uncle and still race at the age of 70 hehehe

The biking bug bit me hard as, i mean i even enjoy riding the CT110 But i guess you can't really call that a motorcycle.........

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Smoker
    Not going to stop until im so old i can't stand up..... I want to be like my uncle and still race at the age of 70 hehehe

The biking bug bit me hard as, i mean i even enjoy riding the CT110 But i guess you can't really call that a motorcycle.........
    Glad to hear your recent close call hasn't changed your mind...many would-be riders have given up after such incidents TS! :sneaky2:

Bike
    08 ZX-6R Race Bike, FXR150
    Quote Originally Posted by Zed
    Glad to hear your recent close call hasn't changed your mind...many would-be riders have given up after such incidents TS! :sneaky2:
    Nup definately not me, crashes are learning experiences, ive learned from it, so it will improve my riding i just hope i dont have anymore "quick" learning curves and just learn from talking reading watching an trying (without the crashing part).......

Bike
    K6 SV1KN
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Smoker
    Nup definately not me, crashes are learning experiences, ive learned from it, so it will improve my riding i just hope i dont have anymore "quick" learning curves and just learn from talking reading watching an trying (without the crashing part).......
    I agree, and thats why this site is so good we get to read about other peoples mistakes, experiences etc. And hopefully learn something from them.
    For one thing i probably wouldn't have bothered getting any more gear appart from a jacket if i hadn't found this site.
    And i aint gonna stop riding to i physically have to!

Bike
    08 Victory Vegas
    When do you think you will stop riding?

With some luck 5 seconds before the lid goes on.
    Feel the fear and do it anyway

Don't confuse education with intelligence.
    There are alot of highly educated idiots out there.

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    Don't think I will stop riding to some degree.......

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    I've been riding 35 years and have no intention of stopping but what I am noticing among the people of my age is whether we like it or not our focal range of our eyes is definitely diminishing and so many of us are having to buy glasses either to allow us to read or to see distance. Its a bugger really and wearing glasses isn't like having naked eyes and it results in peripheral vision being cut down etc (I sympathise with those that have had glasses from a young age). I guess we will slow down as we get older and from what I'm finding it will be due to the eyesight problem because you just can't focus between far away and close up quickly which limits the ability to read the road and take corners quite so quickly as when we were young.

The main thing is not to imagine you are still as good as you used to be and to adjust accordingly. What would actually stop me riding I don't know - I guess it would be if I couldn't physically ride the bike safely and I've just got to make sure I judge that correctly and switch to a mobility scooter in time.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    CharlesidealOB
    Blog Entries
    The day I stop riding, is the day they pry the handlebars from my cold dead fingers.

Or if I'm too old, I could always mod my SV into this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	142-4272_IMG_jpg.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	1543   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	142-4248_IMG_jpg.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	1544   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	142-4271_IMG_jpg.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	1545  

Bike
    08 Victory Vegas
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankMe
    The day I stop riding, is the day they pry the handlebars from my cold dead fingers.
    Feel the fear and do it anyway

Don't confuse education with intelligence.
    There are alot of highly educated idiots out there.

Bike
    XJR1200, Honda CB1/400
    Quote Originally Posted by merv
    I guess we will slow down as we get older and from what I'm finding it will be due to the eyesight problem
    My main problem with vision as I get older is that I find my eyes don't adjust quickly to changes in brightness levels. Riding through a twisty road in late afternoon or early morning sunshine can cause problems as I go alternately into bright sunshine and then shade and back into sunshine in the space of a few seconds. Taking the sunglasses off doesn't help. I find it much easier when there's light cloud rather than a clear sky. Apart from that any deterioration in peripheral vision, depth perception etc. if it has happened has been so gradual that I haven't noticed it. I'll stop riding when someone tells me I have become a danger to others.
    Now off for a ride. Damn, the sun has come out.

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    I am haveing tons of fun at present. What ever happens in the future to change that may happen but I am not going to worry about it right now. For me its all about living it up and enjoying the moment.

Bike
    ZR750 Kawasaki
    I don't know what would stop me riding,I have considered it a few times but only as long as it takes to see another biker go past.I have health problems now that are directly due to my riding and I'm only good for a few hundred kms a day.I hope to have my ashes spread off the back of a bike on the Auckland harbour bridge one day so I guess that sums it up fairly well.

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Given the fact that I have only just discovered riding as my new love I think the only thing that would put temporary brakes on riding would be if I was pregnant (not that this is a plan anytime). I couldn't imagine being able to negotiate riding with a big belly & the risk of injury from binning wouldn't just be to me.

Can't think of anything else that would stop me
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Sea_lily
    I think the only thing that would put temporary brakes on riding would be if I was pregnant (not that this is a plan anytime). I couldn't imagine being able to negotiate riding with a big belly & the risk of injury from binning wouldn't just be to me.

If that happens just get a sidecar!

I have ridden off and on over 25 years on the road and the track and barring some kind of accident or medical problem will until I die.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Thread Information