Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone coming our way?

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Warr View Post
    We will be going past (northwards) on the 18th Jan. having just spent 2+ weeks overseas in the SI. And we arent from Auckland, how do you think we would measure up?
    I think you'd qualify! Shame you're not here a few days earlier - our club has its Manfeild fun day on the 13th of January. How many of you are there? We have one double bed but if you're not a couple you'd have to double up! Send me a PM if you're keen and I can give you our contact details.
    Yes, I am pedantic about spelling and grammar so get used to it!

Bike
    Kawasaki Ninja 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
    I don't mind foreigners, it's Aucklanders we don't want to encourage! They can afford motels!
    Awww Not all of us can!
    Weather Genie says "Go to the beach!" "Sunburn for everybody! Yay!" TM
    My STOLEN bike http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=58374

Bike
    05 iHornet 900
    I think you'd qualify! Shame you're not here a few days earlier - our club has its Manfeild fun day on the 13th of January. How many of you are there? We have one double bed but if you're not a couple you'd have to double up! Send me a PM if you're keen and I can give you our contact details.
    Opps been telling lies again
    Heading north on the 10th!! Have to get back to my nephews wedding on the 12th. There Clare (my wife) and Richard and Judith also a couple
    I still have your cell number .. ends in 428, so can give you a yell if we think we could be looking for a flat spot on the ground

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    We'll be around - sorry we only have one spare bed but we don't have kids so there was never any need for lots of extra beds as most people who come to stay are a couple!

And yes, that cellphone number should be current - as long as the first part is 027 and not 025!

Bike
    KTM RC8
    Hey Beemer, are you serious about the room? We're English but I hope that you won't hold that against us We'll also be in a car rather than on the bikes so maybe that's just too much for you to deal with? Poms in a car

We're currently planning a couple of weeks touring the top half of South Island and then tour our way up North Island to fly back from Auckland (first two weeks in April)

Currently trying to decide what the best thing to do about accommodation is as we're on a tight budget so camping and/or freeloading has great appeal

I'll drop you a PM

Cheers,
    Tony
    What a difference indifference can make

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    Poms in a car - whatever next! Got your PM and have replied, look forward to catching up with you next year. Of course our 2 year-old cat won't be impressed - she hates visitors in cars but loves those who turn up on bikes! The kittens (who will be six months old by then) will love you even if you are Poms, they're not that fussy!

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Anyone coming our way?
    Yeah, alright.
    Dunno when, but One Day.
    When You Least Expect It.

There we will be, standing on your doorstep, in our bike gear.
    Mr and Mrs Urrglee, with out BeautifulBlueBike.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    Yeah, alright.
    Dunno when, but One Day.
    When You Least Expect It.

There we will be, standing on your doorstep, in our bike gear.
    Mr and Mrs Urrglee, with out BeautifulBlueBike.
    That's right, don't you owe me a bottle of whisky?

Bike
    KTM RC8
    Poms in a car - whatever next!
    I know, I can only apologise. Thanks very much for the PM and email, that's a nice place you have there

Will reply this weekend
    What a difference indifference can make

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    No worries, be good to catch up with you when you're here. We're quite excited, sounds like we'll be having quite a few visitors next year!

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Hey Beemer - I'm expecting some guests down from the US mid winter, non motorcyclists, and any spare beds around the place would be brilliant.

2 or 3 21 year olds from the US, on their summer vacation looking to see the sights in NZ. I've been corresponding with one and she sounds like a really nice kid. Her Mom (US speak) and one of her Mom's friends may be coming down too, but likely not...

You ok to consider as an option?

Ditto for a reciprocal arrangement too, not too often as we have 3 small kids, but happy to do what we reasonably can. I love meeting the overseas bods too.
    MDU
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    We're happy for them to stay here for a few nights, depending on exactly when they will be here, but we do only have the one spare (double) bed, so if there were three, one would be sleeping on a fold-up bed!

Are they all females or a mix? Will they have their own transport? It's just that we are out in the country and also there's not a lot to do around Levin - but we'd be happy to show them the sights of Wellington or Palmerston North (ha ha!).

Send me a PM if you don't want to put all the info here.

Bike
    2003 Ducati Monster 1000 S ie
    Blog Entries

Thanks Beemer...

Hey Beemer,

Just wanted to let you know that from an overland motorcyclists perspective, what you are offering is appreciated more than you would realise.

We spent 2 years riding from the UK to NZ and the times when we were invited into peoples homes was a wonderful respite from moving from dodgy hotel room to dodgy hotel room!! We were invited into many homes on our travels from friends of friends or just people we happend to meet on the road.

We based ourselves at a friends house in Goa for 6 weeks which was awesome... just being able to get up and make your own toast and coffee!! It never crossed my mind that the simple things would ever mean so much!

We also stayed with an English couple in Delhi, they invited us to stay in their apartment when they saw a post on www.horizonsunlimited.com mentioning our route, and that was even before we set off!

In Iran, we were reading a map in the middle of Tehran, in 40 degree heat, trying to find out where the hell we were, when a guy on a bike pulled over and invited us to his house... He was awesome and it gave us more of an insight into Iranian culture. In fact, in Iran, we could have just rode into each town and sat in the local square (actually the middle of a roundabout!) and waited for the offers as there were many. As it was though, being sweaty bikers, and me having to wear full hijab when off the bike, it was much easier having our own space.

We met a German couple riding in Thailand who were going in the opposite direction to us. They stayed with people a lot and had the best experiences. I was really disappointed when they said they didn't like Wellington.... Couldn't understand that until they said that they were camping out in the Hutt and the weather was crap. I wish we'd known them before that because they would have had a totally different experience if we'd found them some family of friends of ours to stay with.

Back to my point... You are doing a lovely thing...After months on the road, it's wonderful to be invited into someones home and we fully intend to offer the same when we get back to Wellington in a year or so's time!

Cheers
    Jaxi

Bike
    05 iHornet 900
    We're happy for them to stay here for a few nights, depending on exactly when they will be here, but we do only have the one spare (double) bed, so if there were three, one would be sleeping on a fold-up bed!

Are they all females or a mix? Will they have their own transport? It's just that we are out in the country and also there's not a lot to do around Levin - but we'd be happy to show them the sights of Wellington or Palmerston North (ha ha!).

Send me a PM if you don't want to put all the info here.
    While you are discussing accommodating m/bike travellers. Reminds me of Christian & Tanja, they were here for a week of more. Felt like longer.. tho we did say they could use us as bit of a base. We felt we gave a lot...
    Perhaps it would have been different if they had just been travelling through.
    If there are other travellers doing just that we would be happy to accommodate

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    We also hosted Tanya and Christian (who have made it home just this week) but we really enjoyed their company! Mind you, we had all of our guests for only about four days at a time - although with a certain Scotsman, that seemed like eternity...

I know what you mean Jaxi, all the couples we had staying said they appreciated being able to get washing done and just sitting and relaxing, knowing they didn't have to be anywhere at a certain time. My husband took them all out on rides to show them the sights and they all loved it because he took them on roads they may never have found themselves.

Apart from said Scotsman, we'd be happy to have any of our guests back for a return visit, especially Elke and Arne - they were lovely.

That is the problem with Wellington not having a camping ground - people on a budget have to stay out in the Hutt and it not only makes doing the tourist thing harder, it means everything involves travelling by bike as the trains aren't that close to the camping grounds. I love Wellington and I am sure most people would if they could walk from their accommodation to the city.

Thread Information