Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Auckland Road Tax - Lets Do Something About It!

Bike
    Kwakasaurus Z750s '05

Auckland Road Tax - Lets Do Something About It!

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been done to death. It has been discussed on a separate thread under the Off Topic section http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...highlight=toll, but I think it needs to be highlighted again to encourage every one to make a submission to at least get them to consider bikers.

If case you've been living in a cave, there is a proposal to charge motorists $6 to travel into / out of / around the city. This is bad news because:
    • it's going to cost a packet and we've paid enough in tax to have this sorted already
    • It's setting a precedent for other cities
    • It'll stuff Aucklands economy
    • Public transport is not up to the required standard to facilitate this
    • Aucklanders will start moving to Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin etc ( PAY ATTENTION NON-AUCKLANDERS!)
    • And importantly, there is no exemption or discount for bikes!

I know most of us are cynical about changing what gets done to us in this country, but we have an opportunity to voice our opinions. Sure we might not get listened to, but it's better to speak up now than to complain once it's implemented. Personally I can't see this happening - more likely it's designed to get people used to the idea that something needs to be done, so that we accept the next "softer" option. But damned if I'm going to do nothing and then get surprised with it. At the very least get them to think about bikes in other options.

I have filled in the submission on the transport website - it's fairly simple, but you do need to give them your name etc. I won't put my answers here, but I made the point that it's a bad idea, and that bikes contribute significantly less to congestion so should not be treated the same as cars (in fact they should be encouraged). If we can get a lot of people to do this then there might be a chance of being considered as a group on this or whatever future plans they can come up with. Please do the same and get as many people as you can to follow suit.

The website with all the information and the submission links is http://www.transport.govt.nz/business/land/arpes/

The email address is:
    arpes@transport.govt.nz

Cheers
    SRT

Bike
    Sniff... None
    So you're saying that if you Aucklanders get taxed directly, less subsidies will be paid by the rest of the country, and possibly some of you guys might have to move down here which will put increased pressure on housing prices making the values go up even further? OMG - this is terrible for a home owner who bought a few years ago and isn't planning on moving anytime soon like me!

I'm gonna be crying all the way down to the bank to buy those three investment properties I've been talking about for a year or two now...

Seriously, though, I don't know if direct taxation like this is appropriate given that the alternative options are so limited in Auckland. I fully support it in London where there is an efficient public transport system operating between bombings. But in Auckland? I hate visiting the place, I can only imagine your pain in living in that traffic.

I think your suggestion that this is a softening action rather than a serious option is likely the correct assessment. What is the next option? You don't seriously think they're gonna now invest the billions needed into an efficient public transportation system? There's more voters that need benefits than need trains.
    "You, Madboy, are the Uncooked Pork Sausage of Sausage Beasts. With extra herbs."
    - Jim2 c2006

Bike
    Nothing

Smile Motorway toll support runs out (Herald Today)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Bike
    None any more
    Speaking as a resident from the Country Outside Auckland, who already contributes to Auckland roading costs via special fuel taxes:

"Stop moaning, pay the fucking tax or go and live somewhere else."
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher
    Speaking as a resident from the Country Outside Auckland, who already contributes to Auckland roading costs via special fuel taxes:

I'm trying to read between the lines on that one - not gettin' any clues... what you on about Hitch? :spudwhat:

Actually - as one who lives here and will be affected - I agree.
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    Followed the humour out the door.

Fair enough on the user pays aspect, but are you saying that you agree with bikes being taxed the same as cars??? Bizarre.....

Bike
    2007 GSXR 600
    putting user pays on old roads stinks. But I am all for them putting a user pay system in for new roads. They should look at the ezypay set up they have in the sates too, speeds things up alot. If you have an ezypay unit in your car you dont have to wait in the huge cues. All you have to do is slow to 15mph and a scanner picks it up and sends the bill to you mastercard.

I am sick of paying for dorklanders roading myself. I pay enough tax as it is

Bike
    Sold
    I guess that a reduction in the tax for a 2 wheeled - vehicle would send a good message but that assumes that city councillors are imbued with common sense.

Personally, I think Auckland residents are sufficiently punished by actually having to live there

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.

You mean take a 50% pay cut, live in a grass hut and shag our sisters. Like the rest of Appalachian NZ.
    We pay good money for the right to whinge.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Albino
    Fair enough on the user pays aspect, but are you saying that you agree with bikes being taxed the same as cars??? Bizarre.....
    I have no problem with bikes being taxes on a pro rata basis with cars.

I.e. if the average car has one person in it, and the average bike has 1 person on it - any costs accrued by that person being in town will be the same - charge the same.

Carparking's a fun one though. I can easily get 3 (big) bikes into my carpark here at work. So I should be charged 1/3 of the cost of the carpark (or 1/2 if I chose to only have 2 bikes - or the full whack if I keep it all to myself)

Likewise fuel, carbon emissions, road damage etc etc etc.
    MDU
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R

Look at the places that have implemented a tax similar to this, IE the congestion charges to get in to London, Do bikes pay over there? No they dont as they dont contribute to congestion, but here they do as this is not to reduce congestion as was stated but to earn tax to feed our social welfare dept.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe

Uh, no you don't. Or, at any rate, Auckland contributes more to yours than you contribute to Auckland's.

Even with the latest changes, Auckland receives back much less of the "take" than it contributes.

It's just that for years Auckland contributed heaps and received back bugger all. It mostly went to the South Island. Most of the roads in the South Island would not exist at all, even as clay tracks, if the take was divvyed up according to contributions.

Auckland subsidises the rest of the country , always has, always will, just not quite as much as in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    '06 Z750, '06 KDX200
    It looks like this is being gone over in a couple of places in here, but some points nobody's mentioned yet:

If it happens in Auckland, it'll spread to other areas. Inventing a new tax and making it stick is the hard part. Making it apply to more people is really easy, as it making it go up & down, to suit the applicable politician. Anyone who thinks congestion can't be invented by re-phasing traffic lights has been asleep for a long time... or not lane-splitting enough.

So, who lives in Hamiton, Wellington or Christchurch and want tolling there?

Apart from the JAFAs moving out to other parts and nicking your jobs, where does most of the money come from in NZ? If people here start leaving (and there are a lot moving overseas, Muldoon's approval or not) then there could be less money to go round.

Sorry for the funny approach to this, but I like it here, for now.
    BM-GS
    Auckland

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by ManDownUnder
    I have no problem with bikes being taxes on a pro rata basis with cars.

I.e. if the average car has one person in it, and the average bike has 1 person on it - any costs accrued by that person being in town will be the same - charge the same.

Carparking's a fun one though. I can easily get 3 (big) bikes into my carpark here at work. So I should be charged 1/3 of the cost of the carpark (or 1/2 if I chose to only have 2 bikes - or the full whack if I keep it all to myself)

Likewise fuel, carbon emissions, road damage etc etc etc.
    MDU
    I can get along the MW legally, when all three lanes are grid locked, How do I add to congestion which is what this charge is trying to tackle?? If the average car has 20 % occupancy they are wasting 80% of resources that could be used to reduce congestion, if a bike is 50% occupied then it is wasting 30% less.
    Bikes do less road damage, use less fuel than driving your car therefor less carbon.

Bike
    Various
    Always has to be one doesn't there.

Wake up and stop smelling the fumes.

Until recently spending on roading in Auckland has lagged the rest of the country, despite Auckland having the largest population base and contributing the most toward petrol levies and taxes.

Get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Thread Information