Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: CX500 owners?

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Brought my 500 Turb for $5k sold it for $6.5k to a guy that never even saw it from Auckland.
    Had 6800k on it when I brought it and put 30,000k on it, awesome riding.
    Didnt plan on selling thats why I put a high price on it, but there ya go couldn't say no... so I brought my next dream bike the 1100i Guz
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    ninja 250

Bike
    Blog Entries
    i had a '78 that went knock knock coming down the kaimais at 0300am one morning. sold it for $500 aiwi. other than that it was a great bike.

i've still got a brand new oil filter for one lying around somewhere.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    More tootooing. Made a couple 1 inch spacer out of a 2 inch tube from the cb250t motor I stripped a while back and fitted them to the front forks. Placed them between the two springs in place of the washer. Stiffened the front no end with still plenty of up and downwards movement. Doesn't bottem out now as easily as it did.

Went for a longer night run to test it out. Indicators decided to play up. Some funny things happening like both front indicators flashing at the same time lol. 28 years of gung in the lh switchblock was the cause. Sorted with a generous application of WD40. Each side working in pairs as they should now.

Got 257kms on a tank of 91 before switching to reserve, so seems be no more thirstier than my old one with a quarter of the kms IIRC. Certainly better than my '76 550/4 even though it is heavier.

Bike
    82 CB750F 79 CB900F 05 CB900 Hornet

Post Itchin' to get back on the road!

My old bus was donated to me by a guy who wanted the space behind his shed. Had been down the road both sides, had been scavenged, was siezed and been sitting outdoors for who knows how long! Anyway it cost nothing, but could have had myself a road legal runner for same amount that I have spent so far. Couldn't afford to go out and just buy a bike though.
    Discovered engine had seized due to small amount of water in one pot due to water pump impeller coming off and blowing a head gasket. Got her spinning again without too much difficulty, fitted another impeller and fired her up last weekend (project time 5 months so far). Initial signs of life were great - no smoke and no noise... for about 5 seconds. Then a hell of a 'clank' on one side started up which I reckon is the small end - s..t! (Yep, cranked her over for a while to circulate oil prior to firing)
    I have completely stripped this bike down to the bare frame and built back up with heaps of good gear including Custom/Deluxe gauges, headlight & indicators(had to get rid of that disgusting bikini fairing setup), alloy finish radiator fairing, Deluxe seat and replaced scavenged parts with good used parts. Also replaced obvious leaking seals in rear case and forks.
    Am busting to ride this fatty, so does anyone know of a running engine that is available?
    Sorry for the short story, but hope it generates some feedback.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Re-exposure of DSCF1037.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	366.4 KB 
ID:	31222   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Before.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	628.0 KB 
ID:	31223  
    Last edited by anoeldcx; 3rd May 2006 at 02:26. Reason: Newbie errors.
    Work to live, don't live to work!

Bike
    If anyone recognizes this machine could you give me any known history.

Frame no. CX500-2211225
    Engine no. CX500E-2211243

Cheers.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by anoeldcx
    Am busting to ride this fatty, so does anyone know of a running engine that is available?
    Sorry for the short story, but hope it generates some feedback.
    Sounds like you are having fun. Be nice to see another on the road. There's a bloke over Wanganui way who has a few 500 bits and bobs I beleive, but I've not been able to get hold of him YET.

I intend to use Custom/Deluxe gauges and replace to radiator surround for a later type eventually. No hurry though.

This link is handy if you are after part numbers- http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

Wecome to KB.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Itchin' to get back on the road!
    gee, you do like old shitters... I see the mk4 Z car in the shed
    Welcome to KB, what a bloody wreck you started with, looks like its shaping up good tho. 1980 (pre shadow) top effort keep us up to date
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    Assorted dinosaurs
    Blog Entries
    but hope it generates some feedback.
    Ive got some CX spares,feel free to PM me, but no spare engine though
    ITS NOT GETTING WHAT YOU WANT,BUT WANTING WHAT YOUVE GOT
    https://hondacx500custombuild.blogspot.com/?m=1

Bike

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bonez
    Sounds like you are having fun. Be nice to see another on the road. There's a bloke over Wanganui way who has a few 500 bits and bobs I beleive, but I've not been able to get hold of him YET.

I intend to use Custom/Deluxe gauges and replace to radiator surround for a later type eventually. No hurry though.

This link is handy if you are after part numbers- http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

Wecome to KB.

Yep, sure have been enjoying it. OK to drop you a line if in need of parts? Am alright for parts currently, with exception of the donk. It may be just the gudgeon, but I need to refocus before dropping it out again - am still in test ride mode. Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous
    gee, you do like old shitters... I see the mk4 Z car in the shed
    Welcome to KB, what a bloody wreck you started with, looks like its shaping up good tho. 1980 (pre shadow) top effort keep us up to date
    Stuck in the sixties & seventies aye
    Have been working on Z car project for about 10 years - not the one pictured, she is a factory runner that I am probably going to put on the market to fund my bike spending. My other MkIV is a complete strip down & resto to look factory, but with mags and a warm 289 - enjoying the CX project because it doesn't require assistance from others (eg panelbeaters) I can do it all myself and it certainly is easier on the wallet.
    Cheers for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodave
    Ive got some CX spares,feel free to PM me, but no spare engine though
    Thanks a lot. Any engine parts?

Appreciate the responses guys & have been enjoying some of your earlier posts!

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    OK to drop you a line if in need of parts? Thanks for the comments.
    Only a complete running bike at the mo. I'll let you know how I get on if I find a good source of spares up our way though.

Bike
    '08 DR650
    i ride my old mans one whenever im going any distance, bloody comfortable seat, thing runs 100% after being left to die for 5 years, dont trust it round the city tho... gets a bit hot sittin in the traffic

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moko
    They sold thousands of the things here,I think it was BIKE who nicknamed them the Plastic Maggot,Flying Pig was another one.Where are they?Here they were the couriers bike of choice and that`s where most of them ended up,being thrashed to death by throttle happy nutters,even with this treatment they were known for going round the clock and 100,000 miles was the norm.VT500 was less popular as by then the general public were more into sportsbikes but another good machine and another courier favourite,likewise the 600 and 650 Reveres that continued the line,good machines all if you`re not bothered about image and just want dependable transport.
    oi that was me ,,, I rode a Tc I think back in the early 80s round london, was living in a squat in camden ,,,ahh those were the days

Blew the thing up coming back from Cheam, she was a heavy pig of a thing but it was like the energiser bunny , just kept going ,

the front forks were horrid, and the brakes wooden ,,,but She wouldnt die

I rode a 650 revere for a while , now they were good
    except for that big back tyre , try getting one of those in the boonies ,,ouch

eventually I settled for cd200 , made more money west 1 to west 1, than the big bike got me, again those front brakes were crap,
    No the cd250 u wasnt any better , try 6000km per front tyre

Stephen
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    ELUSIVE CX500 PART REQUIRED! Since my last post I tracked down a replacement engine from a very helpful guy in Palmy. The replacement is from an 82 Custom with the later transistorized ignition system. Hence I had to refit the bike with the later model wiring to accompany the engine. Unfortunately both the seller and myself neglected to think about the starter/kill switch (throttle unit) which is wired very differently to the CDI wired CX's. We were unable to find the switch that was originally with the engine and therefore my CX resto project has come to another grinding halt. Can anyone please help? The switch itself looks like any other CX switch - the difference is in the wiring. It has a nine pin plug with the terminals in a 3 x 3 layout. (Same plug as earlier Custom plug, but nine wires instead of seven and wire colouring in a different layout). 81 & 82 GL500 switch is also compatible. Any ideas or leads would be most appreciated. Cheers.

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike
    Does the switch block you have,have the same switches on it.i.e. kill,lights,whatever.
    If it does and you have the two circuit diagrams for the two units,you should be able to rewire the one you have.
    you'll have to change the connectors.
    The difference may just be a rearrangement of the grounding of the switches

Thread Information