Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lane splitting

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega

Lane splitting

Twice this week I have had to brave the early morning motorway traffic and being the impatient, need to be at the front, why am I following a tin coffin, this is why I bought a bike sort of person I am - I lane splitted the whole way from Manaukau to the bridge.

But, whilst I wait for the ticket from the mufti cop who was stuck in traffic, short on tickets and had just argued with his wife when he left - I thought I would ask what everyones opinion on this is - and whether anyone knows if a definitive ruling on lane splitting is as there is much speculation and hearsay??

Maybe Kiwibiker as a conglomerate of riders should approach the NZ Police for an opinion/ruling on this?

DS

Bike
    CharlesidealOB
    Blog Entries
    All depends on what mood the cop is in. I have passed cops while lane splitting at the lights, But I do it slowly while passing cop cars and I haven’t been hassled.

I also think it depends on how fast you are lane splitting and how fast the traffic is moving. Was told by one motorbike cop that he doesn’t mind lane splitting on the motorway so long as the traffic is only doing about 30-40kph.

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    DEFINITIVE!? HAHAHAHAHAH

We should be so lucky.

As one who has taken on the southern motorway from Mt Wellington everyday for the last 3 years this is what I know.

I have been pulled twice for lane splitting.

1) By a cop (v reasonable and experienced) on a bike. Busted for 'overtaking on the left' (I was picking my gaps and using both lanes) and warned for not indicating. Fair one. I was also told that it was LEGAL to use the dead zone to the right of the fast lane and in fact was lots safer because cars don't pull in front of you. (a damn good idea, except for the odd bits of sharp debris.. I copped two slow punctures but nevermind)

2) By a cop for doing what I just described above. He was very unreceptive to the fact that I was still overtaking on the right hand side and indicating and issued the 150 fine for 'not driving within a lane'. prick. I disputed the fine with the complaints people based on what I was told previously (didn't have the original ticket and officers #) and got told to sod off. Pricks.

But what I am NOT sure of is this... If I ride within my lane, to the right hand side of a car without crossing the lane markers... does that still count as overtaking on the left? If not, so long as the indicators are being used then its a legal move... I hope!

My advice is to spot the bastards before they spot you. They are typically in the left most lane, so if you ride between lanes 1 and 2 you can see them earliest and take evasive action, most of them are pretty sleepy! They also have favoruite hiding spots, so be patient for a few seconds and sit in your lane till you know they're not hiding there.

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    I know I feel I have more control of the situation in slow moving traffic when I place myself between lanes - plus I am a truck load more visible (I don't need to worry about audible on the VTR)....

I can understand a ticket if you are lane splitting 30kph+ above that of the traffic - but I feel that provided the speed is reasonable - you are safer between lanes.  Plus - call it arrogant - that is why we have bikes.......

I have lane splitted for years without a single issue (he says touching every item of wood with 20 feet of the computer) - but I agree, it largely depends on whether the cop is hell bent on being a prick!

I wonder if you could argue that if you drove along the bumpity bumps (that is the technical term you know) in the middle of the lanes that you are technical not in a lane at all???  I must try that one....

There is no law in the road code in NZ that says that it is illegal to overtake on the left!  This to my knowledge is a british law not implemented in NZ......

OZ have recently passed lane splitting laws (and of course - wicked fines) and I wonder when NZ will follow suit?

Bike
    XJR1200, Honda CB1/400
    I too have been lane-slitting (how can you not??) and awaiting the inevitable day when my luck runs out. I have looked through the Road Code and it's not mentioned. Obviously they can get you for passing on the left, so wherever possible I make sure I'm as close as possible to the rh side of the left lane with my indicator on, so I can argue I was performing a legal overtaking manoeuvre. Whether it will work or not, who knows? As for riding along the rh strip of the motorway, I'm not too sure about either the legality of it (it's not a lane) or whether it's advisable considering all the crap that's lying about. What I do know from personal experience (having copped a $150 fine) is that riding along the lh emergency stopping strip is very risky, in spite of the fact that people do it all the time.
    Overtaking on the left: I haven't checked recently, but I'm pretty sure that the Road Code provides for only a few specific instances where it's legal - overtaking a right turning vehicle for instance. I vaguely recall that one of those instances might be where the vehicle ahead has stopped - this might provide a loop-hole for lane-splitting when the traffic is stopped. Any people out there with legal training who could offer a professional opinion?

Bike
    RF900

I have been done twice on the Northern between Northcote overpass and the onewa road on ramp southbound.
    I was stopped in exactly the same place. I know that because the Cop was still there.

I wrote in the second time with a story but that was a waste of a stamp usual sod off reply.

It is an offence to pass on the left within a lane unless..
    The trafic to your right is at a complete standstill(remember that one its your best defences) or the traffic is turning to the right(not likely on a motorway

Now technically you can pass on the right of traffic provided you stay in the same lane I have a fine collection of wing mirrors

Have you noticed that the bus lane is narrow? thats because it was designed as a sholder not a high speed bus lane.

Because the buses push the lane traffic right there is not a lot of room on the Right of lane but heaps on the left of the next lane

So we bumble in and out depending on whos in the way.

You have to indicate 3 seconds before you change lanes or thats an offence so as you bumble you have to play with your switches clutch brakes and the temperature gauge getting hotter?

If you are told by Policeman one somthing is OK its a conspiracy to get you to commit an offence ignor it!

Finally the police have to fine three people an hour and they get little opportunity in gridlock traffic except for you my friend!

Go 200klm/hr between lanes and be done with it all
    Your never to old for a sportsbike

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    oh yeah... emergency lane is a BAD mother idea.

got a warning for that one.. it's a $600 fine if the guy's in a bad mood!!!!

Bike
    Not many, if any
    whoever above stated that WHEN THE TRAFFIC IS COMPLETELY STOPPED you may go down left, is perfectly right. aswell as if you stay in ur lane and to the right of a car, then of course, its only logical that its an overtake, but yes, the second more then half your rubber flows into the lane to ur right, boom! just expect the ticket.

I ride in traffic, and i have no trouble lane splitting when its at a stand still. but ONLY then do i do it, i dont have the confidence in those random "look a tiny gap in a faster lane, ILL TAKE IT!" drivers.  because thats my leg stopping you from moving smoothly into that lane, funny that, in his big four-wheeld steam roller it just felt like a bump in the road.

but anyways. thats that, and yes there seems to be much trouble concerning getting the message on that lanesplitting law thing out, but this shell help more.

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Funny one this, as lane splitting is legal in the UK (where I came from) as lane markings are 'advisory'. They just cop you for undue care and attention and dangerous driving.

Looked in the road code over here to pass my theory test and it said that you could overtake to the right of a vehicle within the same lane (and gave an example of a car overtaking inside a solid yellow) in the road code. However in the road code for bikes it says that you should never share a lane! Go figure. It's also legal to overtake in a lane to the left if there is 100m of clear space, so remember your rangefinders

TTFN

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    I have written in to the Police and LTSA - interesting to see what their responses are....my research shows

1. There is no 'illegality' or passing to the left of a vehicle
    2. There is nothing in the road code about sharing a lane.  Hence, you are able to pass a parking car to the left, PROVIDED you don't cross the centre line.
    3. Police can only do you for dangerous driving - taking them to caught would be great.  There is NO statistical data supporting accidents caused during lane splitting - LTSA have already confirmed in Australia that their accident rates from lane spliting - 'didn't warrant attention let alone regulation' - yet the police decided to do so (revenue collection???? I think so)

If, or should I say when, I get done for lane splitting, my intention is to take this to court and have the Police demonstrate that this is 'dangerous', 'reckless' or 'illegal'.....to be proven as a dangerous practice they need to demonstrate a danger exists - in laymans terms - accidents/injury caused by doing it!

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Wkid, a man of action. I'm sure we would all love to see the response that you get....amazing that a Kiwi bike mag appeared not too bothered about pursuing this item 1st quarter of 2002 when someone wrote in. Their advice not to do it around cops. BTW did you write snail mail, or email your questions ?

TTFN

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    I faxed them, emailed them and have sent them by post as well!!  Buggered if they are not going to get it!!

The ball is their court - I have copies of everything - my excuse if caught - 'no one bothered to tell me if it was illegal - therefore I figured no news was good news'  If they want to ticket me for it - then they can damn well tell me if it illegal first and then I can choose to break the law - but this he said she said bullshi* is not on..

Bike
    Registered. For now...
    'On Ya Wkid_One. Any chance of you posting the replies you got?

Bike
    Not many, if any
    yeah id be keen to hear them too.

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    First and foremost - I am talking about the LTSA and Police - so one piece of advice - DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATHE.....but I will post any and all responses I get!!!!

In the meantime - happy lane splitting - mwaaaa ha ha

Thread Information