Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jap cruisers

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderInBlack
    Too numerious to list But remember Keith (one of the BOP CC) saying he feel like a real HD owner after having to take his new HD to the shop to get repeared not long after replacing the Hyabusa with it (felt it was time he slowed down)
    replacing a busa with a HD? what was he thinking?

Bike
    "Bagheera" GSX1400K5
    Quote Originally Posted by marty
    replacing a busa with a HD? what was he thinking?
    Getting old and didn't want a ugly old Gold Wing
    New Zealand......
    The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid")

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure)
    DON'T RIDE LIKE YA STOLE IT, RIDE TO SURVIVE.

Bike
    2001 Suzuki GSF250V
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom
    Is it just me, or is 'Intruder' the most homo-erotic motorcycle model name EVER?
    Nope.

But then I ride a Bandit.

(When I was shopping for my first road bike I said to my wife, "You know, all these names sound like they were designed to go with some sort of butt-related term. Anal Intruder. Bum Bandit. And so on.)

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    trail bikes used to be referred to as mud pluggers but I suppose that's beyond the pale now
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Cali 111 Guzzi
    do you want chain, belt or shaft? Given that shaft effects are more pronounced on a cruiser (thanks to shaft length and softer suspension), you need to think carefully as to how much brown you want in your pants when throttling off in corners that you're already leaned over in...[/QUOTE]

Best you modify your riding style if you have to throttle off in corners, always thought of this as a big *No No* at the best of times. The torgue pull, or push depending on throttle on/off position, is in my opinion always way over rated, mainly by people that ride chain driven bikes.

Bike
    BMW R65LS, part time R75 old fart rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose

Quote Originally Posted by ???
    do you want chain, belt or shaft? Given that shaft effects are more pronounced on a cruiser (thanks to shaft length and softer suspension), you need to think carefully as to how much brown you want in your pants when throttling off in corners that you're already leaned over in...
    Best you modify your riding style if you have to throttle off in corners, always thought of this as a big *No No* at the best of times. The torgue pull, or push depending on throttle on/off position, is in my opinion always way over rated, mainly by people that ride chain driven bikes.
    True. It certainly forces you to guts it out and throw the bike in a bit further. I've been very surprised by how far the beemer can go, just because I threw it in harder cos "one shouldnt throttle off". Having said that, riding the beemer makes all dangle angles seem small compared to the ZXR400 which feels like I'm already in knee down territory whenever I corner. Perhaps this efffect is even more pronounced in cruisers? You just dont feel the dangle angle?
    Queiro voya todo Europa con mi moto.... pero no tengo suficiente tiempo o dinero.....

Bike
    Cali 111 Guzzi
    . Perhaps this efffect is even more pronounced in cruisers? You just dont feel the dangle angle?[/QUOTE]

Could be quite true with that, I dint consider I corner hard, in fact I have been known to be has on about it, but then again others have also commented with the likes of "Fark you lean that big thing over a loooong way!" So maybe the size does count?

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FAZER 600S

how about this?

What you want is one of these,big enough for you?

http://www.bmoaonline.com/images/odd...03/rocket3.htm

The BMW Cruisers are pretty neat as well,saw one on Sunday,custom painted with a kind of blue and white chequered paint job.It was parked next to a harley V-Rod which hardly got a look in.

Bike
    xs400 -
    Quote Originally Posted by moko
    What you want is one of these,big enough for you?

http://www.bmoaonline.com/images/odd...03/rocket3.htm

The BMW Cruisers are pretty neat as well,saw one on Sunday,custom painted with a kind of blue and white chequered paint job.It was parked next to a harley V-Rod which hardly got a look in.
    My brothers mate hasgot one of them rocket III's on oreder ...

Prison wardens must be overPAID .. ? :eyepoke:
    THe hand's farster than the eye ... keepan eye onda feet .. .

Bike
    1982, Yamaha XV750

Cruiser names

Quote Originally Posted by rodgerd
    Nope.

But then I ride a Bandit.

(When I was shopping for my first road bike I said to my wife, "You know, all these names sound like they were designed to go with some sort of butt-related term. Anal Intruder. Bum Bandit. And so on.)
    I have an XV750 SE, therefore it isn't a virago. I guess this was the model before it was called this name. The sticker on the back that tells you tyre pressures says XV750 Special - my bike is special

However; if it was a virago it would be "1. a load, violent, and ill tempered woman; scold: shrew. 2. Archaic. a strong, brave or warlike woman; amazon. [Old English, from Latin: a manlike mainden, from vir a man]"

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    I've ridden only two cruisers - a VT1100 just for a laugh (didn't do much laughing, as it was just too awful), and a VT750, which I was considering as a replacement for my VF500. A mate of mine has a Honda Shadow (after owning all sorts of bikes including an FJ1200, GSXR750, etc.) and he suggested that a cruiser was a more relaxing way to travel, after I said that the temptation to hoon was too strong.
    I tried the VT750 as it was a very good price, and found the seat very comfortable, but it just felt too weird riding it, too dorky. The handlebars felt like I was steering a wheelbarrow, and I couldn't get the thing not to go CLUNK!!! into second every friggin time I changed gear (probably because the chain was seventeen thousand metres long, due to the stretched cruiser wheelbase). And then the silly saddlebags with the fringey things on caught on fire while I was riding it.
    On the VT1100 I scraped my boot on the first (gentle!) corner I went around, and the gearbox seemd to be there solely for the purpose of dialing in varying levels of vibration. (It didn't seem to make much difference to the acceleration or speed).
    Incidentally - many of the "Jap" cruisers are actually designed in the US, if not built there. Same with some of the big tourers.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F
    I've only ridden a couple of cruisers as well - the 250 Virago and the 650 Dragstar.

I can see where 'jrandom' comes from with his comment that the 250 Virago "feels like it is only putting out 10bhp" - initially at least. The way it just, well, doesn't move when you first open the throttle is a bit disconcerting! And it helps, once used to it, to know it doesn't so much accellerate as build up speed!

Once you are used to it though, it is a lot of fun.

I've blown someone away on my wife's one - heading uphill at 75! The handling is excellent - my wife can give me a hard time keeping up with her on single lane country roads (she has an advantage there though - she is a country girl and I am a townie).

Definitely an aquired taste though.

As for the 650 Dragstar - I found it was also utterly gutless from standstill (maybe it is something about Yamaha cruisers?) - on the move though, it was silky smooth and a really enjoyable ride. It felt like I could have ridden forever without wanting to stop. Being so wide it is also a so-and-so when you have to paddle it manually and it is hard work for low-speed riding.

If I had the space, I'd be happy enough with a Dragstar as a "weekend" bike - SV for general work and when I want a proper hoon, with the Dragstar for longer work and when I feel like a more laid-back ride.

Bike
    honda nv 400 custom

jap cruisers

any make or model cruiser is ok with me,but I think all cruisers look in more keeping with the cruiser style;if the engine is a vee twin.

Bike
    Kawasaki en 450 LTD
    Quote Originally Posted by A Toad 2
    any make or model cruiser is ok with me,but I think all cruisers look in more keeping with the cruiser style;if the engine is a vee twin.
    skite

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by A Toad 2
    Interesting description. Sounds a bit like "what's the difference between a duck?"
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Thread Information