Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Splitting Q

Bike
    K6 busa, SXV4.5, DL650, Pegaso Strada

Splitting Q

I did a search on splitting and as expected there was lots to read and lots of different views. The one thing i didn't get answered was why do we get picked on by the boy/gals in blue and cyclists don't?

On my way to work every morning i see them riding up the left and even running red lights some times in the full view of cops.

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    We have the capability of going faster and have longer stopping distances. Our bikes are heavier. We are meant to be more responsible ect ect.
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

Bike
    Blog Entries
    i'm sure a cyclist on the motorway would be stopped.

and it's the right of a cyclist to get back all the cars/drivers that tried to kill them 60 seconds ago, by jumping red lights, swapping lanes without indicating, jumping kerbs, riding footpaths etc. get yourself a decent street MTB and try it - it's GREAT fun.

Bike
    2007, Kawasaki Z750 (L)
    "longer stopping distances" a fast road bicycle? - brake - almost non-existant. = stopping distant - extremly long.

(I used to be one of those crazy idiots but I got hit by cars once too many times, twice in a hit and run, and stopped riding... I feel safer on a motorbike - at least all my skin is covered and I'll do more damage to the fucking cage if it tries to do a hit and run.)
    I have deep pockets. It's just that it's a deep empty pocket...........

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by marty
    ,, get back all the cars/drivers that tried to kill them 60 seconds ago, by jumping red lights, swapping lanes without indicating, jumping kerbs, riding footpaths etc. ,,
    D'you think maybe the car drivers aren't actually trying to kill the cyclists? Sounds like the latter are making a pretty good effort without any assistance from the drivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    K6 busa, SXV4.5, DL650, Pegaso Strada
    but at the end of the day they should be ticketing the cyclists as well one law for all ...... blah blah blah

Bike
    _
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellraiser
    but at the end of the day they should be ticketing the cyclists as well one law for all ...... blah blah blah
    you havent been in nzl for long then ha? haha
    "Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellraiser
    I did a search on splitting and as expected there was lots to read and lots of different views. The one thing i didn't get answered was why do we get picked on by the boy/gals in blue and cyclists don't?

On my way to work every morning i see them riding up the left and even running red lights some times in the full view of cops.
    Bicycles are not motorised and there for are not governed by the same laws as a motorised vehicle. To suggest that some Police intentionally pick on Motorcyclist as opposed to Cyclist is an exageration of reality.

Bike
    No, they pretty much are goverened by the same laws, at least as far as red lights, give way, speed limits etc. Obviously not WoF and such like.

Thing is , they don't have licences. And the law about the cop being able to detain them to establish identity doesn't apply. So I guess the cops figure that unless it's really blatant their options are limited. Having no licence to be lifted does empower one.

Also the cyclist action groups are VERY vociferous and very united, and VERY VERY stroppy. Unlike biker groups who are quiet , timid, and completly dis-united.

The cyclists speak very loudly and with one voice at anything that offends them We, on the other hand just argue amongst ourselves and meekly take whatever is dished out to us.
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanny
    Bicycles are not motorised and there for are not governed by the same laws as a motorised vehicle. To suggest that some Police intentionally pick on Motorcyclist as opposed to Cyclist is an exageration of reality.
    hmm. another well researched post. read the Land Transport Act. you're gonna be disappointed.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by marty
    hmm. another well researched post. read the Land Transport Act. you're gonna be disappointed.
    I already have.

Cyclist are primarily only governed by 'Give Way' rules. Which makes sense.

As for Hellraisers comments regarding riding up the left, this is perfectly legal according to the context in which the LTSA website explains the rule.

"Keep as far left as possible"

And vehicles at lights are stationary vehicles.

I don't mind if there is anyone who can prove me wrong as I'd rather know things to be correct rather than wrong. However my previous post is based on what I know from the information provided by Authorities.

The only instance where the cyclist may of been wrong where it was mentioned by Hellraiser is with the running of a red light. Then again there are a lot of variables that could make that action legal.

If you can show me otherwise, shoot me a PM please. I can't be bothered following this mundane thread.

Bike
    Sniff... None
    I had a feeling cyclists had to obey the same laws as other road users.

My opinion as to why the cops ignore the pushbikes but not the motorbikes - why bother with a pushbike? If they get hit, they're gonna be in a whole world of pain, probalby more so than a leather/cordura clad biker. And they don't generally lanesplit at 100k+ down the mway (although I'm sure someone knows someone who's done it down the gorge on their pushbike). Pushbikes are treated like a lower form of life by other road users, the cops are probably just leaving karma and darwin to dish out the infringements.

But I'd love to know how some of you folks manage to get picked on for lanesplitting etc. I don't. And I'm not just wanking on about doing a bloody runner either, honestly I've never had a cop try and stop me for lanesplitting. And I can assure you, I ain't no girl at lanesplitting.
    "You, Madboy, are the Uncooked Pork Sausage of Sausage Beasts. With extra herbs."
    - Jim2 c2006

Bike
    Bicycles are considered vehicles. That's the law. Read it and weep

LAND TRANSPORT ACT 1998
    PART 1 - PRELIMINARY PROVISIONS
    ``Vehicle''—

(a)Means a contrivance equipped with wheels, tracks, or revolving runners on which it moves or is moved; and

(b)Includes a hovercraft, a skateboard, in-line skates, and roller skates; but

(c)Does not include—

(i)A perambulator or pushchair:

(ii)A shopping or sporting trundler not propelled by mechanical power:

(iii)A wheelbarrow or hand-trolley:

(iv)Repealed.

(v)A pedestrian-controlled lawnmower:

(vi)A pedestrian-controlled agricultural machine not propelled by mechanical power:

(vii)An article of furniture:

(viii)[a] wheel-chair not propelled by mechanical power:

(ix)Any other contrivance specified by the rules not to be a vehicle for the purposes of this definition:

[(x)any rail vehicle:]

and

Driver'', in relation to a vehicle, includes the rider of the motor cycle or moped or bicycle; and ``drive'' has a corresponding meaning:
    and

LAND TRANSPORT (OFFENCES AND PENALTIES) REGULATIONS 1999
    SCHEDULES
    SCHEDULE 1

3.2(5)(a) Driver of vehicle enters (penalty $)... 150 -
    controlled area when red
    signal displayed
    Last one is just one example of many that sepcify 'Driver' - and as seen above driver spefically include cyclist.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    My very first speeding ticket was as a 14 year old on a pushbike, heading down the Fairfield straight between Mosgiel and Dunedin. The Cop didn't give me the tricket personally, but delivered it to my father that night. The cop watched as my father delivered his own type of infringement penalty, then tore up the ticket.

Cyclists are supposed to follow the same laws as other road users, but they seldom do so.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Guzzi
    If I had my way cyclelists would not have any right of way on the roads. That's the law in Holland. Well so my daughter tells me. The Chch CCC has spent a fortune on cycle lanes. They don't pay any road tax. They don't obey any rules of the road code. Not volintarely. The only time they stop or give way is save themselves from being hit. Then when they do have to stop they get pissed off a for the inconveniance. Fuckers should be registered like any other road user. In fact they should be taxed for the extra oxygen they use. The only usefull thing down here in Christchurch is that they are air filters for the city's polution.

Skyryder
    Free Scott Watson.

Thread Information