Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving at a dangerous speed - any hope of keeping my license?

Bike
    Chopper

Driving at a dangerous speed - any hope of keeping my license?

Just after some advice. Was caught on Sunday afternoon doing 102 in a 50 zone. Must have only been doing it for a fraction of a second as when I looked at my speedo when the mufti police car lights went on I was doing 70. He took my license off me for 28 days and issued me a green traffic offense form and told me I would be looking at minimum 6 months loss of license and fine.
    My only defense is that the road was clear (which the cop also said) and that I blipped the throttle on my new bike (only had two months and haven't ridden much due to winter conditions) and it accelerates a lot faster then my 250 (have a 650). I braked after accelerating but too late (did not brake due to mufti cop car). Tried to explain this to cop but he didn't want to know. I have two weddings coming up to pay for (gettting married twice once here and once in Europe) and my partner has no license so having no license screws me and her. Her parents are also travelling over from Europe and I have a road trip planned to show them around NZ - I guess not anymore.
    I am going to sell the bike as too easy to speed. Should I write a letter and explain situation or just wait for court case. Should I get a lawyer or just plead the judge myself?
    Any ideas much appreciated. I know I messed up but its a big penalty for 1-2 seconds bad judgement.
    Cheers

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    102 in a 50 zone is pretty hard to excuse. Appreciate you take responsibility for your actions, though. About all you can do now, is grovel! A well written letter accepting your responsibility and explaining your circumstances may help. By the way, did I mention, grovel?
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    basically you made your own bed....now ya have to sleep in it....sorri dude.....but shit happens....
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    08 ZX-6R Race Bike, FXR150
    Best thing to do now, is to wait the 28 days then get a limited licence... That will help out for work and transporting your missus around... Dont sell the bike either... you just have to pick the right spots... and wait for 100kmh zones...
    See Robert Taylor for any Ohlins requirements www.northwest.co.nz
    Thanks Colemans Suzuki
    Thanks AMCC
    I use DID Chains and Akrapovic Exhausts

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    There are different elements to a charge of dangerous as against straight speed.
    Was it a built up area?
    Were there peds nearby?
    How much traffic was around?
    Weather conditions?
    How long was the speed check over?
    You may also be able to plea Bargain down to a careless.
    Get a lawyers advice.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    Chopper
    Weather condtions were slightly overcast but dry. Was a built up area but on one side of road only, empty park on the other side. No intersections or off roads, no traffic or predestrians and have no idea how long the speed check was over but can't have been long. When do you plea bargain, before the case or at the court case?

Bike
    2011 Kawasaki ZX-14 "Monster"
    leave the country before the court date..
    There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there? -Clerks

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by choppedxs
    have no idea how long the speed check was over but can't have been long.
    and therein lies your biggest problem. not knowing you were doubling the speed limit is an issue. you can't really argue it wasn't dangerous, when you didn't know how fast you were going in the first place.

Bike
    Goose
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroIndex
    leave the country before the court date..
    Then he wont be able to get back in without paying the fine in full.
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Smoker
    Best thing to do now, is to wait the 28 days then get a limited licence... That will help out for work and transporting your missus around... Dont sell the bike either... you just have to pick the right spots... and wait for 100kmh zones...
    the 28 day roadside will last for 28 days, then any subsequent disqualification (6 months mandatory on a dangerous driving) will have to wait another 28 days before you can apply for a limited licence. you can ride between the roadside suspension running out and the disqualification starting, unless you have a bail condition that forbids you to drive.

Bike
    08 ZX-6R Race Bike, FXR150
    Quote Originally Posted by marty
    the 28 day roadside will last for 28 days, then any subsequent disqualification (6 months mandatory on a dangerous driving) will have to wait another 28 days before you can apply for a limited licence. you can ride between the roadside suspension running out and the disqualification starting, unless you have a bail condition that forbids you to drive.
    I stand corrected...
    See Robert Taylor for any Ohlins requirements www.northwest.co.nz
    Thanks Colemans Suzuki
    Thanks AMCC
    I use DID Chains and Akrapovic Exhausts

Bike
    Buell XB12R
    bummer matey...
    Where abouts was it? 102 kms is a bit extreme, not to mention stoopid, in ANY chch 50km zone

errr... welcome to KB chch anyway...shame about the circumstances
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Buells, for they are subtle and quick to wheelie!"
    --J RR1000 Tolkien

yank tank at Glenorchy 2006 rally

Bike
    1999 CBR1100XX Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8 Jacket
    Then he wont be able to get back in without paying the fine in full.
    Not to mention the Warrant to Arrest that will be issued as well... that would be a good look at the airport, wouldn't it???

Only way you can really get out of the disqualification is under "Special circumstances"... this means you need a really, really, really good reason for doing the speed, or for not being disqualified (or both) and you generally will need a lawyer to argue your case. I've seen some pretty wimpy excuses get people off disqualification but not without using a lawyer.

BC.

Bike
    2011 Kawasaki ZX-14 "Monster"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bykey Cop
    Not to mention the Warrant to Arrest that will be issued as well... that would be a good look at the airport, wouldn't it???

Only way you can really get out of the disqualification is under "Special circumstances"... this means you need a really, really, really good reason for doing the speed, or for not being disqualified (or both) and you generally will need a lawyer to argue your case. I've seen some pretty wimpy excuses get people off disqualification but not without using a lawyer.

BC.
    i forgot about that.. yup.. try for the special circumstances thingy.. but other than that, you're pretty screwed.. I got caught in apparant "boy-racing" 2 days into the country following some people i had just met.. lost licence for 6 months, car for 28 days etc..

I learnt my lesson: Cars suck
    There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there? -Clerks

Bike
    Shanksters Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by choppedxs
    When do you plea bargain, before the case or at the court case?
    Generally at a court hearing. If you have a lwayer acting for you they might contact the officer in charge or the prosecuting Sgt prior to court and suggest that a charge of dangerous driving would be defended but a charge of careless might attract a guilty plea.

Thread Information