Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Mille

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue

2004 Mille

one for Simon

2004 Mille: A Quick Look
    Taking a Peek at Aprilia's New Flagship

Word on the street is that Aprilia has a well-sorted, fully developed redesign of its flagship superbike, the Mille. Aprilia reportedly entertained ideas of releasing this bike at last year's Intermot Show as a 2003 model; this obviously didn't happen, so it's probably safe to expect this one to debut as an '04 model this September in Milan. Either way, there's no reason to believe the new Mille will be anything shy of a radically improved evolution of an already amazing motorcycle. The current Mille platform has twice benefited from year-to-year tweaking since its initial release in '99.

A wholly redesigned big twin and an all-new top-shelf chassis and suspension are rumored for the new Mille. Being that Aprilia just slapped radially mounted calipers on '03 Mille Rs, the new bike will most definitely pack a pair of these. The edgier new look, as seen in these spy shots, makes it clear Aprilia intends to stick with ram-air induction to feed the V-twin, which will almost assuredly remain liter-sized. We're excited. Are you?
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Makes it look a bit like an VTR SP (RC51) with that ram air hole in the middle of the fairing.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    A touring barge
    AMPS have an '03 Mille R on the floor and man those radially mounted gold Brembos really rock!

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    SPMan, thanks, but I've had these pics for about 6 months....personally don't like the SP look alike front or the silly tail.......but who knows what the final style will be.

I was down in AMPS yesterday getting a new indicator lens and had a look at the 2003 RSVR. Yes the brakes do make it look more special. I also like the way they've slimmed the tail with the new unit. I don't like the mix of shiny black paintwork and matt black on the tail though. It looks as though they couldn't make up their minds. Maybe when I have a spare $34k  I might buy another

TTFN

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    Yeah.. very SP-2ish

One would hope that Aprilia have more styling sense than to follow the japanese machines simply because edginess is in vogue.Here's hoping Italian flair wins the race And they can piss that black/silver look off anytime!!... Italian bikes are not meant to blend in with urban blandness...

As for the '03 mille, those gold wheels are FANTASTIC!! Aprilia have redesigned their (already very nice) website and it shows the 03 RSV off very nicely.

I wonder how many more ponies they're gonna get out of it? Every review for the last few years has been asking for a bit more mumbo but not too loudly given the rest of the package. Its got to be time for rework tho, especially given the ducati threat/dominance in SBK

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    Still an overly heavy bike and underpowered compared to the GSXR/R1/Blade's out now.....and for the dollars? 

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    maybe.. but it is ITALIAN!!

Anyway, i haven't seen the spec's so I live in hope that they've dealt to teh power and weight issues

Bike
    farmquad
    verrrrry nice spman. wow!

Bike
    MV AGUSTA F4 STRADA
    There's more to a bike than raw power. Such ephemeral things as design, handling, emotional response and cache. These are things the italians do well and the japanese don't. That's why Ducatis cost so much and the factory sells everyone without the need to discount.

Sorry japanese bike fans, please don't abuse me tooooo much!

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Thats right! But personally I'd love a Mondial Piega - combines the best of both worlds - RC51 motor and exquisite Italian design flair - pity they are $30,000 US
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2003_mondail 2.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	117  
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    Oh yeah!

That mondial or the Benelli Tornado are VERY handsome bikes! I wonder if Mondial will do a cheaper version for 1/2 price like Aprilia did with the RSV R (from the SP) and Benelli did with the Tre? Those ones came in around $33,000 NZ which ain't so bad.

BTW, did AMPS ever sell that RSV SP??

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    I'm sorry, but I question how people ignore the R1 when comparing bikes with the Duc/Mondiel/Benelli etc....

I know power isn't everything - I also know that a dollar in spend on an R1/GSRX/Blade would be $3+ on the other bikes easily - yet I am not getting much more for my money.......

I could spend $20k on an 2002 R1, and $5k on perf. parts and still have shit loads of change compared to exotic bikes.  Plus, the Japanese bikes are more technologically superior and race proven.  Yes Ducati are winning SBK but only due to the previous and present restrictions against multi's.  The Benelli sucks on the track.  The Mondiel well hell - it is based on a V-Twin engine - never going to compare in power (don't slander me here - check out what bike I ride - I can say this as I know first hand)

VTR SP2 $28k 136hp, 200kg dry or GSXR $23k 160hp, 168kg dry - come on.....Duc 998/999R $65k, 138hp, 187kg dry - no contest.

As for looks - that is why there are so many different bikes.  However, to ignore the nice lines coming from the Red Sun area is ignorant.  The CRB600RR - one sexy bike.

Plus - I am sorry - but I refuse to compromise power/handling/performance just for looks - sorry.

Yes Ducs handle well mid corner - they have to - coz they were just chasing the Jap Multis down the straight........

Don't get me wrong I love the look of the MV for example - but would never buy one, love the lines of the 999 - but would only park one in my garage if I didn't pay for it.

If I had more money than a bull could shit - I would still buy GSXR/R1/Blade.  When I am on a bike, I am only interested in what it feels, handles and performs like - why buy second place.  As for looks - ideally, all any one should see is your tail-light getting smaller and smaller - LCD all the way!

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    yes the SP did sell at AMPS. WKID I can see where you are coming from, but smaller and more powerful isn't always better. Anyhow I'm just sad that Aprilia never made the Blue Marlin into a production bike. It was reall sexy to see in the flesh.

TTFN
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bluemarlin.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	123  

Bike
    MV AGUSTA F4 STRADA
    I thought the Aprila Tuono looked good in the magazines but I saw it at AMPS and it just looked cheap, very disappointing. Yes the Marlin was a gorgeous bike. Guzzi has a new concept that's similar and looks good.

As for the design talents of the Jaspanese Bikes, sorry as much of an improvement the CBR is, it is doesn't have the fineses of the Italians.

Sorry Wkid: the R1 is a fabulous bike BUT it looks just like any ordinary bike, not the special it is, as for L.E.D. lights I believe they are the fluffy dice of the bike world.

I don't think the italian bikes are better looking because I bought one, I bought one because they are better looking.

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    Yeah! Preach it brother!

Wkid, before you get too hot under the exhausts, I'm not saying that R1's and GSXR's aren't good bikes. I'd agree they can probably outperform the italian V-twins..

but if its a 'lets sit around and look at the shinies' competition I think I know what I'd like to call my own (and as much as I love the greenies a ZX-12 isn't at the head of my list! (def top 5 tho )

And you have to admit... a V twin (or triple) sounds SOO nice (which is why you bought the VTR right?).. so add in the italian flair and I say it'll be one of teh most beautiful bikes around.

Thread Information