Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Sitting your Restricted License

Bike
    Suzuki SV650S Suzuki RF400R Honda CTX200
    After reading this thread I was a bit nurvous about sitting my R test - even went with a list of questions such as "do you want me to go 100km?" etc. He just interupted me and said forget everything you have heard I will tell you what you need to know.

The walkie talkie didn't really work but the test was just him following me for about 10 min - nothing over a 70km zone and then doing the u turn in the car park. I did put my foot down (bugger) but i got hit by a big gust of wind just as I was turning. He still passed me and said that they "take things into account".

Really it wasn't a bad experience at all, I think the key thing for me was to book at rush hour so I wouldn't be able to spead and to try to relax.

I was hard - I got lost, we couldn't get a gap in traffic, I put my foot down in the u turn but I got through it and all he could say at the end was "indicate sooner".

All the best to you folks sitting your test, and if you are in Wellington the guy at the Mount Vic station is not bad at all.

Bike
    CB,NSR
    so does anyone know the best place to do the restricted in Napier?
    i would prefer somewhere with headsets, this business of looking behind to follow instructions sounds ghastly

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago
    Quote Originally Posted by Maffoo View Post
    so does anyone know the best place to do the restricted in Napier?
    i would prefer somewhere with headsets, this business of looking behind to follow instructions sounds ghastly
    You aren't turning around/looking behind for instructions........ you are using your mirrors to see them indicating..... a quick look in them is all that is required on a regular basis. Easy as.

Contact Yungatart as she has done a test recently in Napier.

Bike
    CB,NSR
    i did mean the mirrors thing when i said looking behind, as opposed to turning my head

i shall talk to yungatart about it, cheers

Bike
    Hyoslag
    Stitting my R6 on Wednesday in Kilbernie, Wellington I'll try not to f it up at $88 at go it could et expensive.

Bike
    2007 Yamaha Scorpio SX4 225cc

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sweetp View Post
    After reading this thread I was a bit nurvous about sitting my R test - even went with a list of questions such as "do you want me to go 100km?" etc. He just interupted me and said forget everything you have heard I will tell you what you need to know.

The walkie talkie didn't really work but the test was just him following me for about 10 min - nothing over a 70km zone and then doing the u turn in the car park. I did put my foot down (bugger) but i got hit by a big gust of wind just as I was turning. He still passed me and said that they "take things into account".

Really it wasn't a bad experience at all, I think the key thing for me was to book at rush hour so I wouldn't be able to spead and to try to relax.

I was hard - I got lost, we couldn't get a gap in traffic, I put my foot down in the u turn but I got through it and all he could say at the end was "indicate sooner".

All the best to you folks sitting your test, and if you are in Wellington the guy at the Mount Vic station is not bad at all.

Hey SweetP. Good on you for getting your restricted. I haven't been out on the bike that much this year, as I had a bit of a scare coming home from work (wellington Hospital) on the motorway in the afternooon, and it was blowing a gustly northerly. I held on for dear life...lol...Got home in one piece, but I really don't like the wind that much. A few bikers past me on bigger bikes and I was thinking do they not feel the wind as much as me...
    Need to get out and practice a bit more before I sit my 6R, can go for it this month, but haven't even hit 1000km on my bike yet. Bit premature i think.;
    Looking forward to getting out and practice practice and practice.

Bike
    Hyosung GT250R
    Yep i also did mine at Mt.Vic with a radio and apart from hurting my ear (its wrapped in old sticky tape so its not the nicest thing to be stuck in your ear) all was well. I was just told to check side streets etc. more because they pose more danger than they do in a car. Oh and i fucked the u turn up big time but he didnt mind because the rest was fine..

Bike
    Gn125
    Quote Originally Posted by Blimp1 View Post
    Yep i also did mine at Mt.Vic with a radio and apart from hurting my ear (its wrapped in old sticky tape so its not the nicest thing to be stuck in your ear) all was well. I was just told to check side streets etc. more because they pose more danger than they do in a car. Oh and i fucked the u turn up big time but he didnt mind because the rest was fine..
    You had to do a U turn?

I did mine in Upper Hutt, starting at Repco.
    Mine was; Left at round about, right, left at next round about, left and stop. Start, right at stop sign, right, left, rightand stop. Start, left, straight through round about, left onto motorway (did 100kph not 70kph), left off motorway, right at round about and stop.
    That was it. Was only about 10-15 minutes of riding, maybe 5 or 6ks. Did the remaining paper work on the side of the road. Done
    While you sit there liking things just cos' everyone else does, I'll be standing up here keeping it real.

Bike
    Hyosung GT250R
    Yeah in the carpark and i botched it up totally! It was nearly crusing around with one foot permanently on the ground. Mine was a few loops around the streets then a quick burst along the 70kph area, turn around in another carpark then done. We did stop about 3 times for the guy to do some marking and it took about 15minutes also.

The hardest part was trying to find a place to mount the damned l plate.. eventually found screws on the back of the rego plate which are there for that reason as they dont do anything else i can find.

Bike
    DL1000 K8 VStrom
    Quote Originally Posted by Blimp1 View Post
    Oh and i fucked the u turn up big time but he didnt mind because the rest was fine..
    How did you f-up the U turn?
    I think the motorcycle road code book says that you should stop and turn your bike as if parking it, look both ways, then do the U turn.
    Is this what should be done?

My KB Videos (and pics): here

Don't ever argue with an idiot.... they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Bike
    Hyosung GT250R
    Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    How did you f-up the U turn?
    I think the motorcycle road code book says that you should stop and turn your bike as if parking it, look both ways, then do the U turn.
    Is this what should be done?
    Well it was in a car park so you just ride up and then do a u-turn.. i did that but basically kept my foot on the floor the whole time. First time I've done so poorly, so I'll put it down to nerves. He seemed to be fine with it.

Thinking back he got me to do a few around his car because of where he asked me to stop/he did in a different car park (where we turned around to go back to the starting point) and watched me then so probably marked me on that then

Bike
    sold
    Just sat my 6R in Porirua passed no worries.
    I would say though having read the info here my test at least was a bit more comprehensive than the majority of reports here.
    Was at least 20 mins riding, with a hill start,3 U-turns and many stop and merges.
    50 and 70 k zones.
    Certainly nothing to worry about but was a bit suprised.

Bike
    fatboy 08
    maybe it was something you said or how you dressed or what you rode, or what the instructor had for lunch.... anyways, whocares, you passed and good on you.

Take care now
    Last edited by chubby; 6th May 2008 at 16:04. Reason: bda spalng
    Voted most likely to be asked to give an after dinner speach at a bulemic's function

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    My husband just sat his yesterday (and passed, woohoo) - VTNZ at Takanini. He was quite surprised as instead of giving batches of instructions then stopping at prearranged spots for the next set (how I did mine) he was told he'd be given no instructions and had to continually check his mirrors in order to "find out" what route he was to take. First time I've ever heard of that happening. To make things even more interesting, the weather wasn't so good so he used the ginny, even though he has an exemption for my 650 and could probably have used that: my point being that the exemption is due to his shoulders being so broad that he can't see in the mirrors of my GN and he actually got pinged by the examiner for not using them enough!!!! In hindsight maybe he should have taken my bandit but then the examiner might have had a hissy over that. Son, Ripper Roo92 sits his R next friday....
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    2006 Suzy GSR600
    Awesome stuff...

I passed my DL-12 eyesight certificate test and I'll be sitting my for my full license very shortly.

Thread Information