Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Sitting your Restricted License

Bike
    2014 Ducati Diavel
    I sat and passed my Restricted on Tuesday - finally L plate free! From what Im reading on here it seems that though there is a set criteria to be tested on, the test itself and the way it is executed is as many and varied as the places it can be taken...!

Regarding the U turn, My tester watched me perform it on a quiet back street. I just rode ahead, indicated left as if pulling over moved to the left and then indicated right, I checked ahead of me and behind me (both mirrors and over the shoulder while riding at around 5kph) and then executed the turn - he said it was just what he was looking to see.

Bike
    1992 Yamaha SRV 250
    Not that I plan on doing this at all (pla the game for one day and all that) but just interested if anyone has ever lane split (legally) during a restricted test?

Bike
    2007 Hyosung Aquila GV250
    Quote Originally Posted by nicmotors View Post
    Your absoutly correct.
    It is a bit dangerous at 70 k's, just ride to the conditions and your skill level. sometimes you can't aviod the motorways. loose ya L plate, blend in, and relax, tho be very carefull (as always).

Ever noticed how few bikers wear an L plate???
    I've seen an L plate on a bike not much bigger than a postage stamp/packet of raisins sure it wouldn't quite qualify as an L Plate but maybe the officer would get enough enjoyment out of it to only give a warning (for that bit anyway)?

Bike
    1994 triumph sprint 900
    yeah im due to go for my restricted but i dont think ive ever used a L plate looks a bit dodgy on a 650 trump doin 140 on the motorway but there is sum dodgy testers around as well,my basic handling test i turned up on the trump payed the $50 and the guy gave me my paper just loked at me and my mate an said so youve been riding for a while then,bu other than that this thread has sum good advivce
    A gentleman does not motor about after dark."
    Joseph Lucas (1834 - 1902)

Bike
    2008 kawasaki 250 ninja

Licences Suck

Blah screw restricted licences... The fuckn government just wants to reap in more money

Bike
    1997 Kawasaki ER-5

Passed the sucker! YAY

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for the various and often funy tips in this thread. Did my test yesterday and passed it.

Was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was.
    Wisdom comes with age.... But sometimes age comes alone!

Bike
    2005 FLSTNI Softail Deluxe
    Blog Entries
    I rode on motorways at 100kph with my L-plate showing. twice with a police car behind me. Never got pulled over. I had rather put up with explaining why I was over the speed limit (cars on my rear tyre) than be rear-ended or cut-off.

Same goes for when I took my restricted test. I went 100kph and the instructor didn't bat an eye.

Bike
    BMW r1200r
    Quote Originally Posted by hsvboy06 View Post
    When I sat my full test the tester followed behind me in a car with no intercom. He didn't signal to me while I was riding, either. Before I set off, he just said "go down this road, turn left into that road" etc. Sometimes I didn't even understand the street names because he mumbled, but more than anything, as I explained to him, I had only just moved to the town and had no idea where those streets were, so "please forgive me if I get lost". I ended up going the wrong way 3 times! Each time the tester went the right way and just waited for me to back-track and catch up. Luckily I did find him each time! And I passed! I guess my riding was ok, it's just my navigation that sucks.
    I had two different people take me for my learners and final test, it was very inconsistant as far as putting you through your paces, my 6 month test was way harder than my final one. The final one was a joke, really.

Bike
    XL650V Silver Streak!

2 Feet down at a Stop - No!

I'm taking my Restricted on Monday and have checked with the Licensing Centre & with Andrew Templeton who runs Roadsafe MC Training Co in the Welly area about this whole having to have two feet down when you come to a stop bizness.

Basically its bollox!

The requirement is that you come to a complete stop in a safe manner and that can be demonstrated to the examiner that you are in fact actually completely stationary.
    The way the examiner knows that you are definitely at a complete stop and not even a tiny bit moving is by seeing AT LEAST one foot on the deck with the brake(s) on, ie he can see your left leg/foot is staionary on the deck! Andrew Templeton teaches that as you come to a dead stop the right foot stays on the rear brake and the left foot is put down as the safest way to come to the stop position(ie you have front AND rear brake engaged) & then you can change feet from there to engage gear WHILE front brake is on with right foot then been put down.

Hope that helps everyone!
    Cheers, Dave

Bike
    2003, Aprilia rs 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    I'm taking my Restricted on Monday and have checked with the Licensing Centre & with Andrew Templeton who runs Roadsafe MC Training Co in the Welly area about this whole having to have two feet down when you come to a stop bizness.

Basically its bollox!

The requirement is that you come to a complete stop in a safe manner and that can be demonstrated to the examiner that you are in fact actually completely stationary.
    The way the examiner knows that you are definitely at a complete stop and not even a tiny bit moving is by seeing AT LEAST one foot on the deck with the brake(s) on, ie he can see your left leg/foot is staionary on the deck! Andrew Templeton teaches that as you come to a dead stop the right foot stays on the rear brake and the left foot is put down as the safest way to come to the stop position(ie you have front AND rear brake engaged) & then you can change feet from there to engage gear WHILE front brake is on with right foot then been put down.

True thats interesting, I sat my restricted a few weeks ago and the person taking my test specified she saw me with both feet on the ground as she wrote out my temp license....might pay to have both on the ground just to be safe eh

Bike
    08 KTM 690e

Basically its bollox!

Good luck with the test Dave, I'm sure you will fly through - biggest drama I had was the earpiece they supplied fitting inside my rather snug helmet -I pulled over about 4 times to redo it because I couldn't hear the tester. For the full test I will need to scure it somehow - maybe a balaclava under my helmet.
    Also DRZ has new D606s and is all road legal, will give you a holler at some stage to catch up!

Cheers
    Daryl.

Bike
    2011 Yamaha xvs1100
    The feet down thing is after one has come to a complete stop, then the feet are put down. Same as with when the basic handling test was done.
    "I think men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage.
    They've experienced pain and brought jewelry." - Rita Rudner
    A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800XC
    Blog Entries

Basically its bollox!

Dude, I have used Andrew's skills on a number of occasions and he has helped me through getting the full. Anyone would be a fool not to listen, if only to get your license. Andrew lives with the testers and knows what they look for. What you do afterwards is your well your choice.

Ride Safe . . . . SixftFive

Bike
    The mighty Zephyr
    Blog Entries
    Just passed mine, down at Quay street

Easy as, only fault was forgetting to indicate whilst merging on some little road, but he was cool about it. Went really quickly, no manouvres or anything else. Easy as!
    has developed a love of big fours. WTF!

Bike
    GSX-R 750 Y
    Quote Originally Posted by crashe View Post
    Fairlie - This is more so, for when you are sitting your TEST.

Some testers have failed riders as they believe that the bike wasn't stopped, when only one foot was on the ground.
    So the best way to prove to testers, is to place both feet on the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatcap View Post
    Aaah - I see

Sounds logical now...ride during the test with all safety aspects exaggerated...
    This actually proves nothing.......I have no problems moving along with two feet on the ground........

I didn't do this and neither has anyone I know......and we all passed both resricted AND full tests......
    If a tester is going to fail you for this they'll fail you no matter what.......

If you really are that concerned about ask your tester about it......I bet they think your a muppit like mine did.

It's stupid advice which somehow became 'commonplace'

it's absolue bollocks............sorry but it is
    Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jamside down.
    A cat glued to some jam toast will hover in quantum indecision

Curiosity was framed; ignorance killed the cat

Fix a computer and it'll break tomorrow.
    Teach its owner to fix it and it'll break in some way you've never seen before.

Thread Information