Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can a CDI be replicated?

Bike

Question Can a CDI be replicated?

Had to buy a second hand one for my MC21. What I want to know is if the data can be loaded on to a custom CDI of some sort.

I was lucky, I only paid 150. CDI's for the MC21 are as rare as a very rare thing.

Bike
    04 Buell XB12R 06 WR250F
    I,m trying to locate a CDI for a 83 KDX175 don't think there is anyway to test if they work or not,

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    This interests me. Can someone in the know explain exactly what a CDI ignition module comprises. I understand the capacitor discharge bit, and the circuit diagram for the one on the Titan seems to imply that is all there is. But some bikes there seems to be much more , a lot of computer logic incorporated. What , exactly?

And how interchangeable are they. In the old days with points , condensor and coils, so long as the bits physically fitted they were good to go. But what about CDI units? In theory , they should be also, after all it is just a capacitor charging and then discharging when a pulse signal is detected.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Two triples
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    This interests me. Can someone in the know explain exactly what a CDI ignition module comprises. I understand the capacitor discharge bit, and the circuit diagram for the one on the Titan seems to imply that is all there is. But some bikes there seems to be much more , a lot of computer logic incorporated. What , exactly?

And how interchangeable are they. In the old days with points , condensor and coils, so long as the bits physically fitted they were good to go. But what about CDI units? In theory , they should be also, after all it is just a capacitor charging and then discharging when a pulse signal is detected.
    Most "CDI's" aren't.
    Suzuki refer to many (most?) of their ignitions as transistorised.
    And they are just simple current switches to the coil,solid state points in essence.
    In modern bikes the ECU controls the triggering of the ignition module and effects timing adjustments (advance).
    True CDI's often generate a spark of too short duration.

You used to be able to make your own CDI igntions...maybe a look at Smith the Dick or Jacar and see what they have.Modern ones probably have a chip,but geeks can get those by the bucket load for 30 cents...Get the resin out and have a look,maybe a simple compomnent has crapped out.Black boxes are black boxes to me....

A quick check shows they have no ignition systems listed....but I remember them being a common kit.You need something to charge the capacitor,and something to trigger it,and they are usualy on the bike...don't know how you would retro those bits.But you should be able to reverse engineer one on the bench easy enough...

Bike
    So old you won't care
    I'd drop this guy an email. He is a nice guy and if anyone will know - he will.

http://www.cajinnovations.com/MyECU/index.htm

Bike
    Yes, Mr Pixie is correct. i've researched a bit more. What we call CDI units are actually TCI - transistor controlled ignition. Maybe new bikes with ECUs are real CDI, dunno, but they're a different kettle of fish anyway.

One's I'm thinking of are simple.

Attachment shows internal schematic of the Titan CDI. Looks simple enough. Mind you, that's for a two stroke. One for a four stroke probably have several dozen extra parts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TitanCDI.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	35066  
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Doesn't the NSR250 have some sort of credit card gadget that actually holds the engine control data ?

Bike
    None
    Interesting thread.

Is someone able to explain briefly to me what is involved in a bike running at a "Total Loss". My bucket operates this way and I would like to know the principle of what is happening. I've got the workshop manual too, so once I've got a grasp I might go have a tu-tu.

I use to dislike 2-strokes but I've been having a love affair with my A 100 of late.

Battery powered with no charging system - the battery is draining as you ride.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    Hmm that doesn't sound right as I don't have a battery in the bike. So how does that work is the terminology "Total Loss" incorrectly describing how my bike finds ignition?

The only thing left, that I can find, is a coil tucked away inside the upper part of the frame near the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    That is a total loss system,if you don't have a battery without a charging system you better change the name,because then it's not total loss.

Bike
    This is an A100? If so it probably has a flywheel magneto. No charging circuit (been ripped off).Common on small bikes, scooters etc

Magneto doesn't need battery - may need a big capacitor to smooth things out.

Total loss is as Mr Motu siad. normal bike electrics, with the generator/alternator removed, so the battery is discharging all the time. lasts long enough for one race.

Bike
    None
    Ah, learn something every day, thank you for the clarrification.

Yes it does have a fly-wheel magneto.

I knew that, but was told by someone I knew that it was "running at a total loss" so I presumed that to be true. Now I'll go see if I can break it and put it back togeather.

A common mod was to remove all the silly ''magneto'' crap,and just use the points in a total loss system - but then you would have a battery.

Thread Information