Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Setting up for adventure riding

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by thepom View Post
    19 inch tube will be better as you can use as a front and rear
    Same with the 21".
    Linton and Phil (D.A.S.)originally advised me to pack a 19" for that reason but you can in fact use a 21" either end if you have to (as i said last post) and have you ever tried to use your 19" in a 21" wheel, I have, it's much more of a pain in the... than putting a 21" in a rear wheel is.
    Not ideal but will still get you out of trouble.
    On the Transalp with more space I carry both 17" and 21" tubes and the backup patch kit.
    On the WR I just take a 21" spare and backup patch kit.

Pretty sure last time i spoke on the topic with Linton he had converted too.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    ive stretched an 18" onto a 21" rim before. and thats a pain...19" probably not much easier. ive also used a 21" tube on the rear of my xr650 and that was a breeze, although not greatly easy to get the tyre right up on the bead with just a mtb pump..but certainly sufficient to get home or to the next port of call
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    Yamaha TDM
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Ute with tray to carry these essentials.
    yeah your dead right there,, with a trallier, who carries an umbrella on a bike??
    where are they going???? hawai>
    And that is the honest truth your honour..

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by kevfromcoro View Post
    ....who carries an umbrella on a bike??
    where are they going???? hawai>
    The man with the umbrella on our Queens Birthday ride when we got trapped by the weather up a valley in a DOC hut was everyones best friend that horribly wet n snowy weekend.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    DR650.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    bigboy you said you have a DR650 in the Canty Adv thread, DR has tubed tyres so yea, like pouakai said pack a spare tube and a patch kit.
    Tire pando are not much good on tubed tyres such as the DR uses.
    I'd take a 21" tube if only taking one as that could also be squeezed in to a rear if needed, but a 17" rear tube is real difficult to stretch in to the front.
    We also carry a small MTB pump and a couple of tyre levers. In a group ride you could probably get away with just taking a tube and patches then borrow the pump and levers but a lot of us do like to be self sufficient.

Spark plug tool... it is important to have your own spark plug tool, lot's of other stuff might be borrowed from others in a group in a pinch, but spark plug tools are pretty bike specific.

So you coming out on Saturday?
    Hi TA Thanks. I have only just now read your reply. I forgotten i had posted it in here and only just read it, ive only been reading the adv rides thread.
    Ive got a repair kit and good hand pump and levers now, thanks. . . . and lol the irony of your spark plug tool comment. . . i think i used yours after i came off in the edwards river.
    I was very close to going on the Clarence ride it looks like a good one. See you next time.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Is there a touratech distributor in NZ, these look like good value, like the Dakar logo one

http://www.adventuremotorcycle.com/s...s#.U-PdSGccSUn
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Suzuki DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Is there a touratech distributor in NZ, these look like good value, like the Dakar logo one

http://www.adventuremotorcycle.com/s...s#.U-PdSGccSUn
    This is the NZ Touratech distributor / online retailer: http://touratech.co.nz

If you like that style of bag the Wolfman Expedition series is worth a look: http://wolfmanluggage.com/products/e...y-duffel-large

Wolfman is quality gear but lots of buckles and straps on the Expedition series, more info/photos on them in this article here: http://www.remotemoto.com/articles/h...-soft-luggage/
    Over 800 New Zealand adventure riding routes www.remotemoto.com

Bike
    Suzuki DRZ400E
    New article and review on the Expedition Duffels here:

http://www.remotemoto.com/articles/w...y-duffle-bags/
    Over 800 New Zealand adventure riding routes www.remotemoto.com

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone know where I can buy denatured alcohol? Tried the local chemist but they dont deal with it. I did read on a website where a chap bought some Capt Phab alcohol from a marine shop.
    I just want to try some in my little homemade stove. Have tried meths which worked, but would like to give the alcohol a go.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    Does anyone know where I can buy denatured alcohol? Tried the local chemist but they dont deal with it. I did read on a website where a chap bought some Capt Phab alcohol from a marine shop.
    I just want to try some in my little homemade stove. Have tried meths which worked, but would like to give the alcohol a go.
    I was under the impression that denatured alcohol is most commonly Methylated spirits.
    Homemade stove?

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    white sprits perhaps? alcohol either way
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    2005 Ktm 640
    Mitre 10..typically in the same area they have thinners and kerosene etc. Will be locked in cabinet, the smallest size is your usual meths bottle, what ever that is? That's a lot of cooking...

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    any wholesales, ask for lion red oh wait thats not right thats denatured swamp piss not denatured alcohol
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiggles View Post
    I was under the impression that denatured alcohol is most commonly Methylated spirits.
    Homemade stove?
    Yep, I tried to find denatured alcohol a while back and then realised that what USA calls denatured is what UK & NZ call methylated spirits.
    I've used meths in homemade stoves and it works just fine.
    Methylated spirits are available damn near anywhere - service stations, hardware stores, supermarkets, The Warehouse, etc. Look for purple stuff.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    Why not use the liquid camping stove fuel you get from camping stores, last one i bought was made by Coleman - colourless, odourless, doesnt smoke or smell like shit like meths. Comes in litre bottles says on it specially formulated for liquid fuel appliances, contains Toluene, light aliphatic petroleum spirit.

Thread Information