Page 53 of 233 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre choice for adventure riding? (Mixing road and off-road)

Bike
    '91 R100GS Supertanker
    Quote Originally Posted by junkmanjoe View Post
    the only wandering part, would be that blue KTM...
    wandering all over the 42nd and fishers tracks...
    Nah, that's the rider's mind, not his riding style.

Just put a T63 on the rear of the KTM for this weekend's trip. 12mm of tread now. Lets see how much there is after the NIIS.

The MT21 didn't last too well on the KCAR run. In 1700 kms (approx) wore from 15mm down to 6mm. Chunked when I ran 22 PSI in the rear. Was quite slippy in gravel. Excellent in the mud on Fishers Track, & good at 42 Traverse as well
    Steve
    IT'S JUST BETTER WHEN THERE'S TWINS INVOLVED..
    My GS build thread is here
    My ride photos are here

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWRSNUT View Post
    The MT21 didn't last too well on the KCAR run. In 1700 kms (approx) wore from 15mm down to 6mm. Chunked when I ran 22 PSI in the rear.
    Wear rate sounds normal to me. The MT21 is renowned for chunking, it's not your pressure. My T63 has almost no chunking in 3000km of hard use. An MT21 would be ripped to pieces at that same mileage.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    '91 R100GS Supertanker
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    Wear rate sounds normal to me. The MT21 is renowned for chunking, it's not your pressure. My T63 has almost no chunking in 3000km of hard use. An MT21 would be ripped to pieces at that same mileage.
    Most of the ride was at normal road pressures. Dropped pressures for one section of loose gravel /dirt, where I could get the bike to hook up (front or rear). The issue with this is that the ride then went onto sweeping sealed road where (due to the fact I wanted to ride with the group) I didn't get a chance to up pressures. The riding was v.hot (impressive grip from the tyres then though). Were I to do the same again, I'd probably leave the pressures alone. That sealed section was where the chunking became very apparent.

Colin, I assume you are also running the 130/180 18? I couldn't get a bigger tyre. Seems skinny to me cfw the MT21 though that was a 140. The T63 doesn't seem pulled out of shape though. How is it wearing in terms of squaring off? Or is wear fairly even..
    Good to hear you've got a 1/2 way decent mileage out of it. The MT21 just wore too fast for me, and wasn't as good as I had hoped in the gravel.

Steve
    IT'S JUST BETTER WHEN THERE'S TWINS INVOLVED..
    My GS build thread is here
    My ride photos are here

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    In my surfing over the past few days I've discovered that the VRM147 (MT21 look-a-like) and VRM122 (T63 look-a-like) are both made in 140/80-18 size. I know the MT21 is made in a 140/80-18 but the T63 is not (largest is 130 wide). Not sure if they are available in NZ or what prices would be but a call to Darbi Accessories would soon sort that out (I'll make a call at morning tea time). No idea what either of them wear or handle like. I see the post above about the VRM147 but has anybody ever run the VRM122 and what was it like?

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Colin, I assume you are also running the 130/180 18? I couldn't get a bigger tyre. Seems skinny to me cfw the MT21 though that was a 140. The T63 doesn't seem pulled out of shape though.
    Correct, as Ryan wrote the T63 only goes to 130 then the Desert rear is only in the 140. Same shape, tougher carcass and harder compound, so not so good for NZ winter rain and mud.

The 640A runs a 2.5" rear rim, also on the 640E, and the latter has a 130 specified. Road sizing charts indicate the 2.5" rim is way too narrow for even a 130, but most open-class dirt bikes run the 140 on such a rim - must be different characteristics/guidelines in there somewhere. Can't say I really notice any difference between the two sizes, but this is the first 130/80. Although, I did run a 110/100 (equivalent size) BF Goodrich Crossengo DOT enduro tyre and liked it, but it's difficult to guess how much of that was down to the meaty tread rather than dimensions.

How is it wearing in terms of squaring off? Or is wear fairly even..
    Very even, but I don't do much in the way of long straight stuff. I have a suspicion that the MT21 sticks better at full lean on the tar, seems I have to treat the T63 with respect in the tight stuff in a way I never had to with the MT21. Hmmm, must take it over Takaka Hill soon... the TKC80 simply couldn't hack that so it would be a good comparo.

Good to hear you've got a 1/2 way decent mileage out of it. The MT21 just wore too fast for me, and wasn't as good as I had hoped in the gravel.
    Dunno about the mileage; I said it wasn't chunking, it is worn a fair way down. But yes it should last longer than the MT21 which is consistent with others' experiences.
    Cheers,
    Colin

All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    The 640A runs a 2.5" rear rim, also on the 640E, and the latter has a 130 specified. Road sizing charts indicate the 2.5" rim is way too narrow for even a 130, but most open-class dirt bikes run the 140 on such a rim - must be different characteristics/guidelines in there somewhere.
    The DR650 has a 2.5" rear rim and comes OEM with a 120 section TW42.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by junkmanjoe View Post
    one set E-07's for sale.
    $180.00 o.n.o
    pm if interested.

JMJ
    HEY i thiought they were MINE!

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthrax View Post
    So I fitted the VRM147 to my ktm525. The 140/80-18 pirelli scorpian that came off measured 135mm mounted but has very aggressive side knobs and a flatter profile. The 140/80-18 VRM147 measures 125mm mounted. This is on a 2.15 rim. At least this one won't rub on the muffler.
    How much for the VRM147?? Might get one for winter, maybe whatevers cheapest out of that & the EO-9. I've got a slightly used D606 to go on the front.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    . .
    Depending on where you shop around 110 - 120. Needed a bit of balancing opposite the rim lock of course.

Bike
    01 DRZ400, 92 r100GSPD
    here's a question for the faster lads out there, what front tire would you run if cost/wear rates and availability were no issue? 90% hard/fast gravel,10% dirt.

Just thinking out loud here as the TKC/E09's just arn't "cutting the mustard" on the 640 anymore, and the michie S12's a bit sketchy on the hard pack (not to mention on wet seal, but thats a whole different problem).

Common guys lets here it
    KiwiSafariTeam
    GO BRO GO

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Dunno bout fast but I have some thoughts on the S12. The S12 is an NHS soft/mud tyre. It is diabolical on gravel, hardpack, tree roots and boulders, even compared to a seriously worn Dunlop D756 (intermediate). Just about any hard to intermediate tyre would work better in everything except soft conditions. Even the M12 would be better, indeed I am keen to run M12s in dry races.

I've been really pleased with the Bridgestone Gritty ED661 (intermediate). Just quietly gets the job done. More grip than anything else I've tried, except maybe maybe the MCE.

The Metzeler MCE 6 Days Extreme is supposedly an underrated tyre, used to be difficult to buy in NZ but I hear they are available now. The one I tried was already slightly used, and I broke 80% of the side knobs off on one hard/rocky Laid Back ride - a common complaint.

I've run a few IRC Battle Rally BR-99 fronts, but been a long time since I bought one new. Had used ones on the DR-Z250 and the 640A, again seem to work okay. I'd probably rate the ED661 (and tyres with similar tread patterns) as better.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    funny thing with front tyres is that you don't replace them as often as the rears so you tend to get used to what you got. personally find the e09 front pretty good on gravel, but a little unpedictable when it gets slippery (wet). What is the t63 front equivalent? cos the rear i have now is bloody brilliant compared with the e09 which is still a good tyre if a little unpredictable as well.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Yes, someone made that comment to me a while ago, saying that ppl forget that the front wears out. Despite having heaps of tread depth remaining, once the sharp edges are gone it is worth replacing. (This was in race context, but ppl know to replace rears once the edge is gone, because they can feel the response to the throttle, but don't make the same connection with the steering end.)

According to reports elsewhere, the T63 front has shallow knobs which aren't so good in loose terrain. Fans of the T63 rear tend to run a more aggressive front, eg Desert or Baja or something completely unrelated.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Bike
    01 DRZ400, 92 r100GSPD
    Like Woodman i've found the E09 good on gravel, however i think i've started to well and truely find it's limits, thinking of trying to track down a Maxxis M7000 dualmaxx (if you can get them in nz)

http://www.maxxis.com/Repository/Ima...maxx_front.jpg

Although the michie Baja seems quite well priced and is available.
    KiwiSafariTeam
    GO BRO GO

Bike
    89 GPX750, 06KLR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    funny thing with front tyres is that you don't replace them as often as the rears so you tend to get used to what you got. personally find the e09 front pretty good on gravel, but a little unpedictable when it gets slippery (wet). What is the t63 front equivalent? cos the rear i have now is bloody brilliant compared with the e09 which is still a good tyre if a little unpredictable as well.
    I'm running a T63 on the front of my KLR at the moment. It's been on for about 3500km,It is probably about half worn. I have no complaints about it. Although the knobs are fairly shallow, as the spacing between them is more than on say a TKC, they seem to hang on alright on Gravel/ dirt, except on really deep gravel, or mud. Mind you I'm not known for my speed once off the Tarseal.
    On the seal it would be similar to a TKC, but might let go just fractionaly earlier.
    Paul’s Adventure riding Photo’s

Latest photo's

Paved Roads are just another example of Wasted Taxpayer Dollars

Thread Information