Page 14 of 233 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre choice for adventure riding? (Mixing road and off-road)

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Mint Sauce View Post
    Cheers Transalper. No, not fitted in the shop. I decided to follow the advice presented to me in the thread of 'get on with it and learn'; not a true quote I may add. Phil gave me a verbal run throgh in his shop and offered if it all seemed to be going wrong "throw one of the wheels in the back of the car and bring it down here". I've also read the ADV Neduro thread that someone made mention of.

I'm just waiting on my centre stand to arrive, fit it and then I'm going to give these tyres a go. The offer of help is much appreciated and I will give you a PM when I am all set up to go.
    I'm just a little touch heavier than TA and have bigger boots but more importantly and I have some loverly 5 inch G clamps if it all gets to nasty. I am also able to assist if you want a hand. I don't think the Dakar rears are quite as hard to do as the DR650's so hopefully you wont have too much trouble.

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    Rear beads could still be an issue for me if alone on a track, the DR650 one is a bit sticky and I'm a light weight. I use my bike ramp and van to leaver them off the bead at home.
    Sounds a bit drastic. I'm in the same boat, don't have a lot of mass to throw at it, but I've never had to resort to that kind of caper, clamps, etc etc.

A couple of mates got a lesson from an expert enduro rider on Sunday. I watched, picked up a couple of tips, viz: whack the bead with a big rubber mallet to break it (I normally stand/stamp/jump on it) and when installing to get the last 10-15cm over the rim. To install the valve, hook a tyre lever on the installed side of the bead at the valve hole, lock the lever behind the sprocket. This holds that side of the tyre away from the hole, you can then pull the tyre bead away from the rim on the 'free' side without the other bead coming across the valve hole.

Also worth mentioning: leave your rim locks fitted to the rim before you put the tyre on, that is, to start insert the tyre into the rim at the rim lock. Put the rim tape over the rim lock.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    Sounds a bit drastic. I'm in the same boat, don't have a lot of mass to throw at it, but I've never had to resort to that kind of caper, clamps, etc etc.

A couple of mates got a lesson from an expert enduro rider on Sunday. I watched, picked up a couple of tips, viz: whack the bead with a big rubber mallet to break it (I normally stand/stamp/jump on it) .....
    It might sound drastic but have you ever tried to break the bead of a DR650 rear? I'm not a little fulla (110ks) but assuming the bead didnt pop when riding I find it hard to break the bead. Simply jumping on the tyre generally doesnt work (even when it is 110kgs jumping on the tyre).

If you dont have time and dont want to build up a massive sweat then G clamps or TA's idea is the way to go. Alternatively I've found supporting the rim with a block of wood so that is isnt under the tyre where you are trying to break the bead, then standing on the tyre and grabbing the spokes and pulling down works. All very difficult and sweat inducing.

The problem is DR650 rear rims have a extra ridge on the inside of where the bead sits to try and stop the bead poping off. The same thing can make getting the bead back on fun as well - lotsa air pressure and soapy water.

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Just in case there's any doubt of what i mean when i use my van and ramp here's a pict. By crickey when i worked that out tyres became a breeze. The ramp is a lot longer than needed for a leaver but it's always there and already made so I havent done anything about getting something more suitable or dedicated sorted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BeadLeavering.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	66873  
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    2007 KTM 990 Adventure
    But how do you tie the ramp on the back of the bike when travelling, sideways or length ways!!

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    Quote Originally Posted by young1 View Post
    But how do you tie the ramp on the back of the bike when travelling, sideways or length ways!!
    You don't need to, the DR comes with one built into the seat....or was that plank?

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    It might sound drastic but have you ever tried to break the bead of a DR650 rear? ...
    I've not done a DR650 but plenty of others. That extra bead bump could make all the difference though.

Typically I have to tread on the tyre and pull down on the spokes to get it started, depending on the tyre, some are worse than others.

For me, tyre changes at home are practice for doing it in the field, sweat or no sweat. May as well let the shop do it if you aren't using trail-side tools.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    Rear beads could still be an issue for me if alone on a track
    Like i said, but i'd like to think i'd have help with me, that's why I don't get in to places that could be trouble if alone. If I couldn't get the thing off the bead in the wop wops alone I'd run it flat for a bit and hopefully get it to move a bit or loosen off that way before rooting the tyre completely.
    I thought about grinding off some of the lip but generally people i spoke to frowned on the idea so i didn't touch them.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Carrying a spare tube gives you the option to run flat for a while to unseat the bead. If it roots the tube it wont matter, plus you don't have to dick around with a puncture repair. Just find the offending nail/object, bung in the new tube, and inflate. Even if you don't reseat the tyre properly, at least you can ride out.

Bike
    2003 Yamaha XT225, 2010 Electric scooter
    I'm just waiting on my centre stand to arrive
    So I gather you have sourced one. A "Wunderlich" one?
    http://wolfmotorcycling.freehostia.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny side up View Post
    It is amazing what you can do with a big hammer and a lot of care.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    2006 BMW 650 Dakar
    Yep; the Wunderlich is on its way. From reading all the posts I can see tyre changing is going to be a life changing and fulfilling experience.

Thanks for all the tips and offers of help.

I will do a report back, complete with photos of missing fingers!
    Global Warming - The ultimate system reboot to remove the human virus

Bike
    All of them
    Yep; the Wunderlich is on its way. From reading all the posts I can see tyre changing is going to be a life changing and fulfilling experience.

I find it a complete pain in the arse.

I'd much rather pay someone - given the choice.

Kerry at motohause fits mine for free anyway.

Bike
    bike decoration, 02 1150Gs, 2015 Indian

Thumbs up They here

Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Ahhh.
    It's the "On the way" bit that's the concern with Mitas tyres.
    got word today DAS said EO7's are in Auckland be here next week best get your order in me thinks they will go pdq
    Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. (John 15:13)

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I find it a complete pain in the arse.
    I'd much rather pay someone - given the choice.

Kerry at motohause fits mine for free anyway.
    I think you might be doing it the wrong way...

Bike
    2016 Africa Twin DCT & 2015 Indian Chief

MT90 to be phased out??

Just read the following at www.intobikes.co.uk:

"Pirelli MT90 Scorpion... ...THESE TYRES ARE BEING PHASED OUT TO BE REPLACED BY THE MT60"

Has anybody heard anything on this topic?

Thread Information