Page 55 of 233 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre choice for adventure riding? (Mixing road and off-road)

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    A note on the BF Goodrich Crossengo and the Michelin Cross AC10.

These rear tyres are damn near identical in the tread. Only a very slight difference in the shape of some of the centre blocks (triangle vs curved), otherwise all positions, shapes, brace lugs etc etc are identical. The font for the name is also the same!

So I suspect there is some kind of cross-pollination happening in the Czech Republic where they are made. I had heard the Crossengo is a knock-off of a well known Euro tyre, now I know which one!

The Crossengo only comes in a 110/100-18, but the AC10 also comes in the next size up 120/90-18 (yes oddly in a 90 not 100 profile)... and maybe more, I've only got those two sizes to hand.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    91 R80GS
    So which are the cheaper option WW? Anyone used seracs? Good?

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Probably BF Goodrich but XF650 commented they may not be available any more. I didn't buy my AC10s.
    Cheers,
    Colin

All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    So which are the cheaper option WW? Anyone used seracs? Good?
    Do you mean Maicelin Siracs?? If so, i had one on the xl rear. Great on road ok on gravel, but useless in mud or similar. They are similar to Anikees which the klr had when I got it. Same thing, you just gotta ride slow on anything but tar.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    . .
    I have done 1472kms on the KTM 525 with tha Vee Rubber VRM147 (MT21 copy) and it's shagged now. About 2mm left. I used these on my XT600E and got 5k easily. Will have to try something else now. Maybe a pirelli MT43. Large enduro trailie guys have suggested these may be the go.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthrax View Post
    I have done 1472kms on the KTM 525 with tha Vee Rubber VRM147 (MT21 copy) and it's shagged now. About 2mm left. I used these on my XT600E and got 5k easily. Will have to try something else now. Maybe a pirelli MT43. Large enduro trailie guys have suggested these may be the go.
    The MT43 is a trials tyre.
    It'll grip well but you may only get 147.2km out of it.

Bike
    . .
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    The MT43 is a trials tyre.
    It'll grip well but you may only get 147.2km out of it.
    Done your research haven't ya

The MT43 is a Dot approved trail/dual sport tyre with a trials pattern....

"Pirelli wanted to widen the scope of use and strengthen the eco-friendly, low-impact characteristic inherent to these tires. Rather than create a meat that is super gummy, flexible and wears quickly, the MT 43 Pro has a reinforced bias-ply carcass with stiffer sidewall and more durable rubber compound. Tread pattern is different with non-square knobbies and a DOT-legal 11mm depth. Higher speeds and increased heat from dual-sport and pavement use were part of the reason the carcass and rubber compound were strengthened. However, the sidewalls still flex and make an enormous difference absorbing sharp impacts."

"As has been mentioned, if you run in rocks, roots, dry pack, snotty stuff and clearly with the new MT-43 pavement, once you try one, well you will be a bit upset you didnt change over sooner."

Another review-
    "I've been running one all summer, offroad and on. it's been great during dry rocky rides and holds well on the road too. but get into any sitcky gumbo style mud and be prepared to work hard to keep going the direction you want. I had read that prior to buying so I wasn't surprised. for most of the terrain around here (upstate NY - rocks, roots, gravel, with mud thrown in) it works really well. I've put about 1000 miles on it, about half off road, half dirt roads and pavement and it hasn't really worn much at all. no knob chunking, still have pretty good edges. I'll definitely buy another one."

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/392/19...re-Review.aspx

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthrax View Post
    Done your research haven't ya

The MT43 is a Dot approved trail/dual sport tyre with a trials pattern....
    I left off the bit that said...

I'll take one of the useless things off your hands for bugger all and put it on my XR250 where I think it may be the ultimate trail ride tyre

Bike
    . .
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    I left off the bit that said...

I'll take one of the useless things off your hands for bugger all and put it on my XR250 where I think it may be the ultimate trail ride tyre
    Unless there's lots of mud. But NZ doesn't have muddy trail rides eh?

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    That's my big concern. It's well known that a trials tyre will grip better in everything except mud. Unfortunately, trail rides hereabouts have everything not excepting mud!! For dry summer rides it might be the schizz.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    That's my big concern. It's well known that a trials tyre will grip better in everything except mud. Unfortunately, trail rides hereabouts have everything not excepting mud!! For dry summer rides it might be the schizz.
    Summer in Hira and some really low ratios

Bike
    . .
    Nationwide don't have any MT43's and have no plans to import them I've been told.

Bike
    silly green dirt bike..........DOH
    Blog Entries
    hi all
    my mitas E-09 front, not wearing to well, its directional tyre, is it, or would it be ok to turn it back to front, to try and wear it evenly.
    I FEEL THE NEED, THE NEED FOR SPEED
    my ride picshttp://picasaweb.google.com/sueycarter
    other ride pics http://picasaweb.google.com/113645336286831595353

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by junkmanjoe View Post
    hi all
    my mitas E-09 front, not wearing to well, its directional tyre, is it, or would it be ok to turn it back to front, to try and wear it evenly.
    Don't think it's directional?

I'm onto my 2nd turning of the MT21 front.

Bike
    silly green dirt bike..........DOH
    Blog Entries
    yips its got a arrow on the side .
    I FEEL THE NEED, THE NEED FOR SPEED
    my ride picshttp://picasaweb.google.com/sueycarter
    other ride pics http://picasaweb.google.com/113645336286831595353

Thread Information