Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you use your Harley for?

Bike
    Hodor
    Quote Originally Posted by popelli
    own a ducati, yes I do v twins are the most logical engine for a bike, narrow compact and better primary balance than a paraell twin, four cylinders are too wide have no character lack a distintive exhaust note
    Obviously never rode a triple then Eh

Bike
    2008 Kettweisel Style.

Arrow Meh, I read this entire thread.

I still cannot come up with any good uses for a H.D. Yea I can unterstand why people like them, but if I ever wanted a bike like that, Id go straight to an Indian. Ive ridden a few Harleys in the past, they just ain't for me and I am doubtfull if Id ever want a bike like that. However I like to watch that American Chopper when I can and some of the bikes that they come up with are pretty cool. But hey, I ride a Honduh, what would I know?
    Those who insist on perfect safety, don't have the balls to live in the real world.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by Divot
    And why? I have been able to keep up with a average rider on a sport bike.
    just having you on divot......best mate rides a sporty and we enjoy takin the piss out of each others bikes

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin
    Oh it's all about impressing women is it? Don't know that any women are actually impressed by a 1340cc penis extention.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Goblin again.

blardy nice one girl .. could not have said it better muh self

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Goblin
    All the best with your choice Bonez. Im sure you will be happy with whatever you decide.
    Cheers for that.

Bike
    BMW K75
    have read thru this thread and it would appear that the people slagging harleys off either have never owned them or have some hangup where they have to slag them off

Bike
    2005 FZS1000 "Tasha"
    Quote Originally Posted by sels1
    I reckon you would look better on a Bonneville....

http://www.triumphnz.co.nz/
    .... that looks like the one i sold earlier this year
    ... ...

Grass wedges its way between the closest blocks of marble and it brings them down. This power of feeble life which can creep in anywhere is greater than that of the mighty behind their cannons....... - Honore de Balzac

Bike
    GN250
    just thought I would put my 2 cents in. Last year I went through the time to upgrade the bike phase. I had a Honda GB400TT now I wasn't too flush with cash for this but decided to investigate what I could get. I've been a honda guy for a while but a few trips to the states had me interested in Harley's.

V-Twins sound great so being a honda guy I looked at a VTR1000 and honda had a summer sale making it $13,000 ( I think) for a new one. What a deal I thought then I looked at the resale value and its not so good.

The local honda place sells Ducati's so my eye check out the Monsters but can't afford a new one. Second hand looks good can get a low Km's one from Japan for arround $14,000. So it looks like I'm saving for a L-Twin.

Harley drops the price of the 2006 models and a new 883 sportster is $14,100. This really grabs my attention, so I put a deposit down a new sportster, sold the honda and I've been more than happy with that choice.

Oh and use my Harley to ride to work (when the weather is ok) and I get out on the weekends and ride.

Bike
    Aprilia RSV Mille & Aprilia Tuono 660
    Buy one to look at, buy a sportbike for fun

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by cousa1
    just thought I would put my 2 cents in. Last year I went through the time to upgrade the bike phase. I had a Honda GB400TT now I wasn't too flush with cash for this but decided to investigate what I could get. I've been a honda guy for a while but a few trips to the states had me interested in Harley's.

V-Twins sound great so being a honda guy I looked at a VTR1000 and honda had a summer sale making it $13,000 ( I think) for a new one. What a deal I thought then I looked at the resale value and its not so good.

The local honda place sells Ducati's so my eye check out the Monsters but can't afford a new one. Second hand looks good can get a low Km's one from Japan for arround $14,000. So it looks like I'm saving for a L-Twin.

Harley drops the price of the 2006 models and a new 883 sportster is $14,100. This really grabs my attention, so I put a deposit down a new sportster, sold the honda and I've been more than happy with that choice.

Oh and use my Harley to ride to work (when the weather is ok) and I get out on the weekends and ride.
    Thanks for the feedback. I generaly ride in all weather. Motocycles a my main means of transport, with the wifes car and "sank's pony" as a backup.

Spoke to an avid Harley fan at work yesterday and he reckoned the Sporty I was looking at was way overpriced and I should be able to get one similar for a much cheaper price. Seems they devalue as well but I should be able to pick one up at around two thirds the cost of the one I saw. He also mentioned that it wouldn't suit my frame-ie too tight a fit with the seat height being so low, something I haven't thought about for years.

I have a GB400 myself, as well as half a dazon other 70s/80s jappas. Like one http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/at...4&d=1096866019
    and http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/at...3&d=1104743240
    All, apart from one, have apperently reached a point were I can sell them fom more than I purchased them for .

Wouldn't even consider ditching the GB after the recent East Cape trip.
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=30428
    It was an absolute hoot to ride on this trip as well-
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28304
    They're totally underated IMHO.

Bike
    1972 HD
    Blog Entries
    Harley riders do not actually give a shit what other people ride...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by selectedgrub

They just appear very insecure by going around telling everyone they don't care what they ride....

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by selectedgrub
    That's nice to hear. I'm sure there's other make rider who
    have the same opinion. How long have you owned your FX?

Oh and troll has PMed me some good advice, which I'll take onboard, on owning one. Quite usefull and helpfull.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    A Harley was always my dream bike. Right from when I started riding in 1970, and even after the point when I rode my first Harley about 5 years later. I was impressed by the power, but found it very heavy to ride at low speed. It was only a short ride and the owner did comment on how much easier it would be on the open road.

Finally in 1988 I did get a chance to take a Fatboy from Christchurch to Picton, while the HD owner rode my GSX750. At the end of the ride I couldn't wait to hand the Harley back, and never again have I ever dreamed that one day I'll own a Harley.

Still, some people like them, and who am I to tell them that my choice of bike is any more valid than theirs. Just ride.
    Last edited by Jantar; 13th July 2006 at 00:12.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar
    A Harley was always my dream bike. Right from when I stated riding in 1970, and even afetr the point when I rode my firsy Harley about 5 years later. I was impressed by the power, but found it very heavy to ride at low speed. It was only a short ride and the owner did comment on how much easier it woild be on the open road.

Finally in 1988 I did get a chance to take Fatboy from Christchurch to Picton, while the HD owner rode my GSX750. At the end of the ride I couldn't wait to hand the Harley back, and never again have I ever dreamed that one day I'll own a Harley.

Still, some people like them, and who am I to tell them that my choice of bike is any more valid than theirs. Just ride.
    Have a go with my T-Sport Jantar my man - it's a whole world away from a Fatboy.

And 1988 it is loong way back, even Harleys have improved since then!!!
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Thread Information