Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Touring the South Island

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by maha man
    Wasnt us John, didnt go to Mitre 10, we were down there early june also, my daughter goes to Waitaki Girls and they their 'formal' dance, so we went down to see her look like the pretty girl she can.....
    We really like that part of NZ.....
    I remember now it was a couple from "Nelson" and their son is a teacher at Wataki boys.
    Next time you are down feel free to drop by if you like.
    There are more ways than one in and out of Oamaru, some of them are good rides. Check them out. Cheers John.

Bike
    RF900 /cbr1100xx/GAS GAS 250
    look out for these lads! they ride around otago every chance they get!
    ive attached a photo, dont know if it worked!

Quote Originally Posted by oldrider
    You go past my place on your trip North, keep in touch, feel welcome to call in.
    Food, bed, rescue, whatever. Cheers John.
    PS: Where in the Catlins is your target destination?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mates.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	418.4 KB 
ID:	37230  
    its Crazy Big Al but if your have lesbian fantasies you can read it crazy bi gal if you like!

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Thats a fantastic photo crazybigal, i mentioned in an earlier post that Kurow was 3-4 shop settlement opps forgot the pub, sorry Kurow

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Great route through the Main Land there. It covers most of the good bits. When I go down there I have to swing by Ashburton, so there is plenty of boring straights i have to travel on.

Good to see you included the best part of SH1 in the country.

I love that bit between Culverden and Kaikora too.

Bike
    yeah i love the west coast and over the hast! thats got to be a good one, hast to wanaka. and i have to do both aurthers and lewis pass. I am going to hamner springs for sure, after all that on a bike i know my tired ass will thank me for that. ive never done qtn to milford, shocking since i lived in qtn for 10 years!. and the catlins should be good.
    East coast a bit crap id say, moraki boulders is worth a look though.
    I used to drive qtn-chch a few times a yeah so i know that real well, up the middle to tekapo and over to timaru.
    so i guess im lookin for advise on those little tucked away places no one goes to that are real scenic gems!.

Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck
    Great route through the Main Land there. It covers most of the good bits. When I go down there I have to swing by Ashburton, so there is plenty of boring straights i have to travel on.

Good to see you included the best part of SH1 in the country.

I love that bit between Culverden and Kaikora too.
    its Crazy Big Al but if your have lesbian fantasies you can read it crazy bi gal if you like!

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by crazybigal
    look out for these lads! they ride around otago every chance they get!
    ive attached a photo, dont know if it worked!
    Good pic. How long has the owner had that blue ST1300?
    I was looking at one in Dunedin but they acted so wishy washy about selling it I told them to shove it.
    Mrs O was even almost insistent that I should buy it too! Sheesh, never let a chance go by they say. Must have been an omen involved.
    Sorry I have begun to hi-jack your thread. John.

Bike
    KTM 990 Adv, Gas Gas EC300,

Southern tour

Good to see another Transalper on line. I haven't looked at your map but I would recommend the inland route from Kaikoura to Waiau, if you end up coming down the East Coast or going back up that way. It turns off just a few kms South of Kaikoura and has heaps and heaps of corners - went through there last DEc in the car with family but filed it away to do again on a trip on the bike.
    Sounds like you'll be pleased the road through the catlins is all sealed now. Lots of good trips down here but these days the best adventures are when you have a bike that can cope with the gravel roads as well!!

Bike
    i think 8 months or so from mem, used to have a transalp, the wife has the f650.
    they are a real honda family, his sone has the blue vtr in the photo and his other son has a blackbird.

Quote Originally Posted by oldrider
    Good pic. How long has the owner had that blue ST1300?
    I was looking at one in Dunedin but they acted so wishy washy about selling it I told them to shove it.
    Mrs O was even almost insistent that I should buy it too! Sheesh, never let a chance go by they say. Must have been an omen involved.
    Sorry I have begun to hi-jack your thread. John.

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    Transalp owners seem to be gathering here so time to join the club.

But the reason for my post is that you are missing one of the best roads in the country: the Crown Range It has, unfortunatly, been fully sealed for a few years now. But dispite this unfortunate happening, it is still well worth the ride.
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    mate i know the crown range like the back of my hand! i lived down there.
    It was a bitch to seal! my best mate was involved in it!
    Im glad they sealed it, so many times i got stuck behind a bus or a truck in the dust!.

Quote Originally Posted by XP@
    Transalp owners seem to be gathering here so time to join the club.

But the reason for my post is that you are missing one of the best roads in the country: the Crown Range It has, unfortunatly, been fully sealed for a few years now. But dispite this unfortunate happening, it is still well worth the ride.

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crazybigal
    mate i know the crown range like the back of my hand! i lived down there.
    It was a bitch to seal! my best mate was involved in it!
    Im glad they sealed it, so many times i got stuck behind a bus or a truck in the dust!.
    So you are avoiding it then, fair n'uf.
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    prob will but it will be a qtn0wanaka day trip, id sat going up the zig zag will be more fun than going down it, come back via cromwell through the gorge, now thats a good ride in the summer!

Quote Originally Posted by XP@
    So you are avoiding it then, fair n'uf.

Bike
    KTM 990 Adv, Gas Gas EC300,

good trips

actually looking at the title, good trips, conjours up memories of something else.
    Anyway a great ride is from Dunedin, to Mosgiel then to Middlemarch and better is you do it via the road that turns off at the Taieri river just before Outram (I think its called george King Memorial Drive or something similar) - all sealed, just stay on it and it comes out again on the main road to Middlemarch. About 20 km th eother side of Middlemarch turn off onto the road to Mcraes and ride right through to Dunback (good pub for a stop). Then out to Highway1 at Palmerston heading back to Dunedin. Turn off to the Coast about 5km South from Waikouaiti towards Karitane and the old main road along the coast - great views and really windy. Comes back onto the SH1 at Evansdale, turn off it again about 5km further (left) at Waitati and take the old main road to Dunedin.
    Of course if you had a Transalp we could add some other interesting backroads!!
    happ y to act as guide

Bike
    Cagiva Navigator 1000
    Seems a good time of the year to head south. At least a couple of us are heading out of AKL on the 19th to tour the SI. If our dates coincide or overlap then it would be really good to have a bit of a KBer get together or something while we are all in the south Island together.
    Here are our datesBlairos SI adventure.
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've just high-sided!
    مافي مشكلة

Bike
    2017 GSXR 750
    I'm thinking about doing the same run at about the same time ... put out a ride notice and see how many guys/girls you can get interested .. now that would be cool .. big ass bunch of KB's hitting the South Island .. sweet!!

Thread Information