Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: On vs Off road...

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf
    KiwiBiker runs a mentoring scheme for road riding. Do we need/want one for off-road?
    Excellent idea. Well done that man, give him an orang-utan.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    2003 Yamaha XT225, 2010 Electric scooter
    Quote Originally Posted by mazz1972
    As mentioned by others, definately a bad idea to go offroad into the backblocks by yourself, in case of injury.
    Haven't gone off-road in the backblocks by myself but most of my "adventure rides" (traditionally on old dungers that may or may not keep running) including my recent excursion into the hakarimatas (not a dunger bike but the roads were winding, hilly and mostly unfamiliar, one was a gravel "goat track" tho' Motu probably thinks it's tame) I've been by myself because frequently there is no one to go with.

It's a familiar sensation, setting out by myself with all the precautions I think I may need and not having any guarantee that I'll get to my destination and back on two wheels, being mindful that I may wind up trying to hitch-hike to civilisation in the arse end of nowhere because I binned or the bike just plain "stopped going"...

Having riding buddies would be good but a lot of the time it's not practical and you wind up having to rely on yourself, take it easy, have respect for the terrain and be mentally prepared for anything.

Wind up stretching my legs and having a cigarette in forlorn empty places, talking to myself.
    http://wolfmotorcycling.freehostia.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny side up View Post
    It is amazing what you can do with a big hammer and a lot of care.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Bike
    Triumph Thruxton / 81 Guzzi MKIII
    Wolf I have rolled bowled & planted my Serow off road & it isn't much worse for the wear & tear. I have been amazed at what it'll take.
    I got some descent bars put on (pro tapers) & bark busters & I haven't broken any levers. I've cracked an indicator lens once, they take heaps off knocking around. The mirrors come off for the tight more serious off road stuff & I use a velcoed on mirror like FQ to get to the trail ride. The main thing I find is you'll need to adjust the forks after a wee lay down as they twist, how many times I've jumped on, riden off with the right arm straight & the left tucked in going in a straight line- simple to realign on the spot.
    If it is an organised day trail ride taking the trailer is best as you can relax more & be warmer going home.
    We always carry tools, tubes, some spares when trail/adventure riding & even on most road trips. The one time you don't Murphy's Law will get you.
    Go at your own pace & skill, which will increase with confidence in the bike & self & if you can find people that can ride with you or even ride in an area where others are around to help if needed.

Bike
    Jackie Black
    I cheat a little, as I have a quad bike for offroad riding I learned to ride off road on 2 wheels but I was so crap at it and fell off so many times that I ran out of patience. At least with the quad I can keep up with those on 2 wheels and there are more and more quads coming to our trail rides now too.

Good luck to you Wolf, off-road riding is great fun!

Just be prepared to get dirty and fall off occasionally!!
    Some days you are the bug , some days you are the windshield

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mazz1972
    Just be prepared to get dirty and fall off occasionally!!
    Just so long as I don't break my bike, that doesn't matter.
    We 'athiests' consider Wolf 'one of us' inasmuch as his approach to matters of philosophy mirrors our own. The fact that he chooses to live by tenets driven by a fantasy of the supernatural that he finds personally appealing and culturally relevant is neither here nor there.
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

The Hamilton club have weekend camps,lay out some trails,some kids stuff,have bikes on hand to try out.I haven't been to one,but seen them in the club mag.If you have well polished boots and a crisp salute Gregg Power events are great....I just have a personal issue with his military disapline.

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    I just have a personal issue with his military disapline.
    Keh? What do you mean?

Having done heaps of his events, the only thing I've experienced that would possibly fall under that description would be the basic safety rules: helmet on if you're riding, no rarking up the pits, and no going backwards on the trail. They're pretty much universal at all the organised rides.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    97 CRM 250 AR
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    Just so long as I don't break my bike, that doesn't matter.
    I know exactly where you are coming from Wolf. I too have been without for a long time, and saving hard to get another. Wanting to fully get into trail and off road fun and the same time I have to use it to commute if for no other reason that the parking money saved allows me to justify what is a very expensive selfish hobby. So, no matter how I look at it I can't afford to loose this bike (when I actually finally have it that is, bloody bank). Not even taking into account it's a mint rare bike, it's more valueable to me than it's mere monitary worth.

What I'm looking at doing is a bit different to what would suit you. Through Brian d'Mirage I've found that CRM plastics are cheap as in Japan (as opposed to $NZ1k+ from the UK. So I'm going to get a complete set of plastics and put my originals aside. Also going to find out which CR parts are interchangeable and keep my eyes out for spares. For you it might be a little easier. As your bike is a little more common here you have a greater chance of coming across a cheap spares bike.

The benefit of this is if something does happen (and lets face it with these bikes that bloody hard, certainly when you compare them to the "drop it from standing and spend $$$ on plastics" zxr/cbr/etc) it's a quick fix with minimal out of action time.

The other thing I'll be looking at is if there are such things as quick release accessories (indicators etc), which will speedup the pre trail strip. If there's not might have to trial and error different methods/hacks, till finding a way of streamlining the whole affair.

Having said all this, my biggest fair is being taken out by cager again. It'd do more damage than any trail fall could do.

Thankfully there's a good group of Dualsporters down here who I'll start going out with and learning from.

It's all worth it though. All the hard work, the money, the time. Once your on the bike, out there, nothing else matters.

*goes back to staring at pictures of his bike*
    Hayden - Evidence that even the mediocre can achieve great things.

((U+C+I) x (10-S))/20 x A x 1/(1-sin(F/10))

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Lemur
    Having said all this, my biggest fair is being taken out by cager again. It'd do more damage than any trail fall could do.
    Cagers on the road are a risk, but I tend to keep a sharp eye out for them and I'm confident that on the road I can avoid all but the most determined idiots.

Off-road, OTOH, I am nowhere near as practised or skilled and I know that sooner or later I'm going to come off, even with taking it slow and learning the skills on gentler tracks before attempting to ride hard out over a rugged off-road tour.

I can better assess risks and take care on road than off, I have years of practical experience on tarmac and merely a few cumulative days of experience off road - and that in fairly tame areas (the least tame of which was "the Times Track" and even that was as dry as a bone that night.)
    Thank Eris for the FSM!!

Quote Originally Posted by warewolf
    Keh? What do you mean?
    He's ex military,that ok if you like that approach - I don't like being told what to do.I was riding trials when Gregg Power was the best we had,I've certainly got no complaints about what he's done and is doing for motorcycling in NZ.

Bike
    97 CRM 250 AR
    These guys seem have some great tools.

You guys know of any other purpose built kits?
    Hayden - Evidence that even the mediocre can achieve great things.

((U+C+I) x (10-S))/20 x A x 1/(1-sin(F/10))

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    He's ex military,that ok if you like that approach - I don't like being told what to do.
    He doesn't run his events like that. If you didn't know he'd been in the forces, you'd never suspect by going to his events. The thought has never crossed my mind.
    Cheers,
    Colin

All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    The Hamilton club have weekend camps,lay out some trails,some kids stuff,have bikes on hand to try out.I haven't been to one,but seen them in the club mag.If you have well polished boots and a crisp salute Gregg Power events are great....I just have a personal issue with his military disapline.

I always knew you were a pinko hippie slacker...

Greg's a great bloke actually.

'Course he's a great bloke,and an even better rider.I must admit I gave him a nice salute as he was going the other way after telling me off.Guess I just don't like being told what to do....

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Lemur
    You guys know of any other purpose built kits?
    Ballards sell combo trail tools etc.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Thread Information