Thread: Wellington 250 rides?

Bike
    2001 XJR1300
    Where are you going on the ride.???
    Dont sweat the small stuff, It only makes you stressed,

Bike
    2001 GSX1200
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
    Back on topic; if anyone wants to go riding this weekend either lateish saturday or on sunday then speak up
    I've remembered I think I'm booked for Sunday afternoon, so Saturday would suit me better.

Richard

Bike
    2001 GSX1200
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
    Where are you going on the ride.???
    Well I'm not planning to organise, but I did have a think about some interesting roads I know of (I like windy):

Wainuiomata Coast Road
    Moores Valley Road
    Whitemans Valley
    Sweetacres Drive (western Hutt hills) (haven't been there for ages, maybe not as good as I remember - and possibly a bit short)
    Moonshine Hill Rd

That's without considering the more serious and well known ones like Paekak hill, Rimutakas and Akatarawas.

Loads more of course.

Richard
    (Streetwise: I blame your B120 for my occasional wrong-way gearshift Nice little bike though )

Bike
    Bandit 250(for sale), 636
    If its my call it'll be the windmill road and mabye some detours, last time we planned to go there we changed our minds.

ill dig up the link to the old thread, here we go:
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28505

maps are no longer available as i no longer take my backpack with me and yes i still want to play on that gravel road...

once i decide what i am doing saturday morning i will let you folks know (stupid optomitrist - better not rain for 2 reasons), if we are unlucky and it rains on saturday it will be posponed till sunday. I will post meeting times for saturday as soon as i know what im doing. if its cancelled till sunday then meeting times will be around 10ish.

I will also create a new thread with this info in it. (TOMMOROW, IM GROUCHY AND TIRED!)
    1990 Suzuki Bandit GSF 250 for sale 39k kms $3,500

Bike
    2001 GSX1200
    Windmill road? Which is that? I'm thinking the Brooklyn hill is a little short, and the summit road north of the Manawatu Gorge is rather a long way away ... I suppose there are others

Edit: sorry, read your post now ... I wasn't thinking of doing the Rimutakas so soon, but hey why not

Richard

Bike
    ok, if i can sort my stuff out for saturday morn we should be good. (cmon weather)

i wont be riding on sunday as the bucket racing is on and i'll probably spend all day there. (rg100 offered me a ride on his fxr round the trak once - i hope its still open )

situation will be updated around 10ish tommorow.

i feel takas are the only way to go for the weekend, roads like moonshine are just too short (one tcwnr we did it AND the takas), weahter we can spend most of the day on the back roads of martinborough.

Bike
    None, sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
    His pubes have fallen out (don't ask me how I know (shudder)).
    I told you those pictures were for your eyes only. Don't go discussing them on KB.

I feel so ... used.

Dave

Bike
    okay, ive decided not to book my optomitrist appointment for saturday cos i reckon its going to pour down.

If it doesnt though i will be at caltex rimutaka (rimutex) at 10:00 am on saturday morning and will be leaving before 10:30, I will be heading out for a "play" (read multiple training runs) on the rimutakas and if others are present probably head out to the flying fish in martinborough for a lateish lunch.

Bike
    2001 GSX1200
    Turns out I'm busy Saturday, not Sunday - so even if the weather's fine, it looks like I won't be doing the same ride as Wasp. Will be keen to do something on Sunday though, weather permitting.

Even something shortish - haywards/browns bay/mana/grays rd/moonshine rd is tempting - could be good. With or without a nominated experienced leader; just having other people for company and to go for help in emergencies is good.

I'll keep an eye on this thread ...

Richard

Bike
    VTR1000, RM 250 and a few toys
    Well ill already be over the hill milking for poos by the time you guys get your asses out of bed. Not sure if i'll have the bike yet, exhaust has a crack through it, but mite come in for lunch anyway if you end up going over that is.
    You know you had a good nite when you have to ask someone if you had a good nite.

Bike
    2001 GSX1200
    Quote Originally Posted by rwh View Post
    Turns out I'm busy Saturday, not Sunday - so even if the weather's fine, it looks like I won't be doing the same ride as Wasp. Will be keen to do something on Sunday though, weather permitting.

Even something shortish - haywards/browns bay/mana/grays rd/moonshine rd is tempting - could be good. With or without a nominated experienced leader; just having other people for company and to go for help in emergencies is good.

I'll keep an eye on this thread ...

Richard
    Well the weather looks pretty reasonable to me, so I aim to do something starting from the Hutt Valley - probably one or more of those I mentioned earlier, unless I feel really keen and take on the takas.

I probably won't get to the Hutt till 11ish at the earliest.

Will check back here later for any takers - might even take the laptop ...

Richard

Bike
    there are bucket races on in upper hutt in the council carpark beside the pool, map here: http://www.scs.net.nz/images/accessmap.gif

if you wanna stop in and dont know your way around gimme a txt on 021 120 1629 and ill meet you at the entrance into upper hutt or something

Bike
    2001 XJR1300
    Quote Originally Posted by rwh View Post
    Well I'm not planning to organise, but I did have a think about some interesting roads I know of (I like windy):

Wainuiomata Coast Road
    Moores Valley Road
    Whitemans Valley
    Sweetacres Drive (western Hutt hills) (haven't been there for ages, maybe not as good as I remember - and possibly a bit short)
    Moonshine Hill Rd

That's without considering the more serious and well known ones like Paekak hill, Rimutakas and Akatarawas.

Loads more of course.

Richard
    (Streetwise: I blame your B120 for my occasional wrong-way gearshift Nice little bike though )
    Haha it does the trick.. Hows it all going.
    Dont sweat the small stuff, It only makes you stressed,

Bike
    2001 GSX1200
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
    Haha it does the trick.. Hows it all going.
    Mostly good - today had its issues though.

I followed up Wasp's suggestion and met up with him and a bunch of others at the Bucket racing in Upper Hutt - looked like fun, and good to meet people, but in the end I wasn't riding, so I suggested I'd be keen to pop over to Featherston and back, and Wasp agreed to join me.

As I was just about ready to go, though, RG100!! (I think?) pointed out that I might want to check my rear tyre pressure - it was almost completely flat. He promptly brought over his tyre pump - it didn't register any pressure on the gauge - and pumped it up for me - thanks mate!

Wasp and I then headed off to Rimutex, where I discovered it was completely flat again. After a bit of investigation and discussion, we pumped it up and headed back, pumping it up again at the BP station, but still it was mostly flat most of the time - it felt really horrible going round corners. After more discussion, where RG100!! pointed out that it wasn't just the loose valve nut we'd thought, but a knackered tube, I arranged to borrow my parents' car and trailer - from Eastbourne.

Wasp generously txted an even more generous mate (these are all people I'd never met before), who agreed to come up from Lower Hutt and give me a lift to Eastbourne for a bit of petrol money. So he and I (with Wasp following on his Bandit) went and got the car & trailer, took it back to Upper Hutt, and loaded my bike on with the help of the split-level carpark acting like a loading dock. He then followed me down the Western Hutt Rd as far as Melling, and I drove back to Karori with no further incident.

I managed to get the bike off again using similar methods (backing up the trailer to a retaining wall and wheeling it off through the garden), dropped the car & trailer back to Eastbourne and caught a couple of buses home (plus a 40 min walk due to lack of appropriate buses). I was finally home by about 8:30pm.

I now intend to investigate getting a decent tow car for myself ... and work out whether I can get my wheel off to take it to the bike shop, or have to work out some way to get the whole bike there.

Many thanks to all who helped out - RG100!!, Wasp and Wasp's mate in particular.

Oh - and big apologies if I've got anyone confused with anyone else.

Richard

Bike
    XJR1220
    Well done Wasp and Co.

Maybe KiwiBikers arent dicks after all!!

Thread Information