Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what should i do?

Bike

Question what should i do?

well i was wondering, does anyone know what the main cause for motorcycle accidents is?

i have had three bad ones, i am recovering from one which was a week ago, i suffered a broken collar bone, a bad k.o and scrapes on my legs. i remember nothing about the accident, until i awake in a bed in hospital where i spent the night. i have broken 3 bones, 2 k.o and i have had 18 stitchs in my leg and a lot of scrapes while i have been riding.

i now need to make a chose weither to keep riding or stop until im older. i love to ride my motorcycle. should i keep riding?? i know there is racing but its a cost and time which i dont have.
    maybe i am over reacting about this, has anyone suffered bad motorcycle accidents? not just a slide down the road, but a serious one.
    sorry to bring this up. help would be awesome.

Bike
    xs400 -
    Wouldn't like to see you give up mate ... but I wouldn't like to hear you're dead either !

Some more info on the accidents would help ...
    THe hand's farster than the eye ... keepan eye onda feet .. .

Bike
    CharlesidealOB
    Blog Entries
    When I started riding I had more accidents than I can count on my fingers and toes. I totaled 5 motorbikes, but the worst injuries I got was a couple of broken ribs and some scrapes. Everyone at work started calling me crash. The thing you need to get used to when riding bikes is total concentration on the road surface and other vehicles. Think about what might happen and never assume the cage drivers see you.

Bike
    Something red and quick
    Reflection, mate. The only thing you can do now is reflect upon why you crashed. What has gone wrong? After a wee bit while we tend to forget the basics of riding and start doing dangerous habits.
    Only re-learning and reminding yourself all the time will keep you alive.

About the bike, don't worry. If you don't have the dosh now, just repair it slowly.

And, if it helps at all: remember....CHICKS DIG SCARS!!!
    Elite Fight Club - Proudly promoting common sense and safe riding since 2024
    http://1199s.wordpress.com

Bike
    Suzuki RG 50
    Sorry to hear you had an accident Andy, and I hope you heal quickly.
    I'd suggest you wait till your bones have healed and some time has passed before deceiding what to do in the future. What were the causes of your previous accidents ?
    If I remember correctly, more than 1/2 of all injury accidents are caused by cars invading a bikes right of way (turning in front, u-turns etc), next on the list was riding too fast for the conditions (weather, road surface, corners).
    As said above, ride like they can't see you and concentrate 100% on the task at hand.
    Even if you do deciede riding isin't for you, at least you gave it a good shot, and got out alive.

Cheers, Justin
    All your footpath are belong to us.

Bike
    Triumph Daytona 650 in RED
    Hope you heal quickly, Andy.

Have you thought about some advanced riding training?

Also, you didn't mention how long you've been riding, which licence you're on, and what bikes you've crashed on, or how long you'd had them.

I had four, luckily minor, accidents during the first couple of years I was riding and they were mostly due to lack of experience in what to do during unexpected situations. The only reason I got away without broken bones when I was t-boned by a c@r, was that it was a Triumph Spitfire and not a Holden fitted with bull-bars!
    "Women & cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer." Bruce Graham

Bike
    2020 Honda Rebel 500
    I can only imagine the amount of cash that will be spent getting your bike fixed.... bugger.

I would say the main thing responsible for your crashes (and applies to mine) is the driver. You are either not as good as you think you are and/or probably pushing your luck with your usual driving/stunts.

All I can say is, shit happens. Just don't get caught

Get better soon eh.
    /end communication

They say you can't put an old head on young shoulders - but I would hate to see that.It's bad enough seeing an old fart riding an unexciting bike at unexciting speeds.....a serious mature young person is a crime against nature.Just raise your awareness levels - practise taking IN as much information as you can...you need it ALL to stay in one piece.

Bike
    MV AGUSTA F4 STRADA
    Don't give up, you'll only reget it. I was almost in a massive accident.

After, I decided drivers were just too insane here, that biking was too dangerous, so I stopped. However, I always regretted it but wouldn't admit it. Then a close friend was diagnosed with cancer and given three months to live. Suddenly I realized how many things I put off or avoided due to risks.

If you enjoy it, keep doing it. Get advanced training, do track days to get your speed fix, whatever. From what I saw of your riding to Kawhia you are very skilled; maybe you take risks you shouldn't, only you can answer these questions, maybe the accidents were totally out of your control.
    I wasted six or so years of skill improvement and am now trying to catch up.

Just rest, get well and reflect on what you can do to improve. You're young and have plenty of time. Just don't waste it denying yourself things you enjoy. Life's too short and we only get one go at it!

Bike
    thank u for the advise, thinking about buying a supermotard.
    may help. i am bit of a crazy rider racing with bigger bikes but its the way i like to ride. i love to get my knee down a scrape round cars, and blast through the twisties. i have only come off once because i was going to fast, in hunia i got a mad tank slapper and got fired of the bike going about 150k. small bikes dont handle to well. other than that i have been hit from behind from a car also another car pulled out on me, fuck i hate some drivers.
    but i guess its life, shit happens, im tired of getting hurt because someone doesnt care to look.
    well thanks, laterz

Bike
    Big Orange KTM
    Hey , get some advance rider training, do track days to practice skills & ride like everyone is out to get you treat every other road user like they are idiots. Concentrate on your riding.

Bike
    Something red and quick
    Well, if you're quiting sportbike, at least you've proven enough. Defeating R1 on a 250 is not a small feat
    Elite Fight Club - Proudly promoting common sense and safe riding since 2024
    http://1199s.wordpress.com

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    I'am looking forward to ride with you when you get a supermoto. Its not like I would be able to keep up probably, but I'll give it my best.

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Get well soon Andy. I've only had one road traffic accident; it was on a bike....and it could well have been my last. I had soft tissue damage to both thighs, shoulders, upper arms, one forearm, and one knee and lower leg (takes longer to heal than a fracture!). The insensitive bitch that had replaced the caring nurse for the day suggested that I wouldn't seriously consider getting back on a bike after this....turns out she had crashed her car 5 times.....and she still drove!

I ordered my next bike whilst still unable to use my crutches to get around

2 years on and I ride slower on the road (and track) than I used to, and my confidence is only slowly improving. On the road there is no right or wrong if you are on a motorcycle, just whether you end up hurt or not. A good advanced riding course that helps you with hazard awareness and gives you strategies and skills to make sure you don't get hurt is well worth it.....and that doesn't mean you pootle around like an old fart either. Take your time and decide what you want to do.

TTFN
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    farmquad
    Some great perspectives here guys.
    the cars will always be there, the risks won't go away but as people pointed out you can help reduce them by learning to ride smarter(and practising that). make your own mind up. I've had those moments while lying in a hospital bed when i tried to weigh it all up. stop riding on the road and you will have less risk in your life. it's that simple. my life motto is ...do what makes you happy.

Thread Information