Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rainbow Road Condition

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S

Rainbow Road Condition

Following a weekend at St Arnaud we decided to check and see if the Rainbow Road was open as an alternative route home and given Far Queue's troubles i.e. not being allowed though at the beginning of Nov. Turns out there is people in residence at the house near the gate 20 km from the St Arnaud end from the 1st December to 1st weekend in March and the road was open.

Not supprised that road wasnt open in November. There has obviously been a lot of rain as most of the fords ar the St Arnaud end have had to be dozered out due to the 1-2 m of gravel built up. There are a few slips on the eastern end of the Wairau Gorge that have obviously moved due to the river cutting away the toe. The road over these has been repaired by dozer (still onsite).

Overall the road is the roughest I have ever seen (been through about 5 times) hence is slow. We came though in a short wheelbase 40 series landcruiser with trailer in around 4 hours. This vehicle is not the most comfortable so modern 4x4 would be faster and I recon a bike would manage two hours.

Attached a few pics. Some might recognise the trailer's origins. The chasis of the trailer is about 200kgs buy itself (i'm a larger guy and couldnt lift the bare chasis by myself.

Also saw a Moto Guzzi 1000cc enduro near the St Arnaud end. No idea what model other than red body work with light green 1000 under pilion seat. He didnt stop so didn't get to check it out. Any ideas?

Cheers
    R
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC030052 s.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	47494   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC030054 s.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	47495   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC030055 s.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	47496   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC030058 s.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	47497   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC030059 s.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	47498  
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    02 ktm 640 enduro
    Farrrrr tooooo many wheels for this forum
    ... you know it's a bit windy when you get passed by your own dust ...

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Trailer looks like the arse end of an old Jeep or something.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    I know too many wheels but though you guys might like the info given Far Queues bad luck. Thinking of taking the bike that way when I go to NN at xmas. Much more interesting than the highway.

Trailer is mid 60's military trailer that was build to go behind the series two landy 109's and skippys. Pick one up for the stage 1 109 v8's that I got from the surplus sales in 2000. Decided to keep it as it is a bloody solid trailer for carting firewood/bikes you name it when the V8 got to espensive to run i.e. 1l per 5km. Has a pintle hitch i.e. two rings so hugh movement for off roading without popping a tounge of a ball.

Cheers
    R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    ktm,yammy
    im through there alot and yes its in a state, and as for comfort i would keep the fj40 over my k104 kw as for comfort godbless the air seats...

i will keep you dudes posted ...we have keys for the gates all year round

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by truckit View Post
    im through there alot and yes its in a state, and as for comfort i would keep the fj40 over my k104 kw as for comfort godbless the air seats...

i will keep you dudes posted ...we have keys for the gates all year round
    Its a BJ40, the FJ's have the air intake/filter on the other side incause you cant tell the differance.

I'm guessing you dont take the KW k104 through ?????? Air seats are damn nice though. Spent a summer driving for wilders (oooh i mentioned "that" name) in the so called maori mack (nissan V8) mostly, but would get a "modern" hire scania something occasionally which was plush by comparison.

Anyway I digress. Anythoughs anybody on the Guzzi, assuming it is one? What other transverse v twin enduro/dual sports are there?

Cheers
    R

Bike
    09 Bonneville, 79 SR500
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    Thinking of taking the bike that way when I go to NN at xmas. Much more interesting than the highway.
    When are you planning to go to/from NN?
    The views expressed above may not match yours - But that's the reason my Dad went to war - wasn't it?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, .... but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,... shouting "man, what a ride"!!!

Bike
    02 ktm 640 enduro
    [QUOTE=truckit;847230
    i will keep you dudes posted ...we have keys for the gates all year round [/QUOTE]

... handy man to know is truckit ...

Bike
    97 CRM 250 AR
    I'd definitely be keen for a day trip up there (and back some other fun road?) sometime over summer.
    Hayden - Evidence that even the mediocre can achieve great things.

((U+C+I) x (10-S))/20 x A x 1/(1-sin(F/10))

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by far queue View Post
    When are you planning to go to/from NN?
    Prolly up Dec 23d and back Jan 6 or 7th. Will try ride rainbow both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Lemur
    I'd definitely be keen for a day trip up there (and back some other fun road?) sometime over summer.
    It would be a pretty big day but guess it could be done Rainbow and back. Think it would be pushing it a bit to do Molesworth and Rainbow even if you start and end in Hamner. There is a 50kph "speed limit" on both roads now courtesy of DOC.

Cheers
    R

Bike
    2006 F650GS
    Prolly up Dec 23d and back Jan 6 or 7th. Will try ride rainbow both ways.

It would be a pretty big day but guess it could be done Rainbow and back. Think it would be pushing it a bit to do Molesworth and Rainbow even if you start and end in Hamner.
    Cheers
    R
    You can easily do it in a day?
    Leave Blenheim and go through Molesworth, then up into Rainbow

There is a 50kph "speed limit" on both roads now courtesy of DOC.
    Who is going to police that?

Dusty Butt 1000km - We knocked the bugger off what next?

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukin View Post
    You can easily do it in a day?
    Leave Blenheim and go through Molesworth, then up into Rainbow

Who is going to police that?
    I make it 400km from hamner through Molesworth, wairau then rainbow and back to hamner. Then need to add 150kms either way between Chch and hamner. Guess it could be done in a day but with stops it would be a long one.

It this a challange???? If we add about another 300km we could turn it into a 1000km adventure ride. Chch, hamner, molesworth, Blenhiem, Mangatapu, Nelson, 88 valley, St Arnurd, Murcheson, Mariua Saddle, Murcheson, Braeburn Track, Porika Track, St Arnurd, Rainbow, Hamner, Chch is about 935 km relatively straight line from Topo map. Not sure how far in reality!!! Think I might need a sheepskin for that one. Who's keen

Cheers
    R

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    I've got a mate on a BMW R100GS who likes to pull me along on big trips and we have done the Christchurch, Molesworth, Rainbow, Christchurch run. Yes it was a big day, but if you're ride fit and don't stop for photos or smokes or anything then it's dooable. If memory serves correctly, we started extra early and returned in the dark.
    I have also done Christchurch, Rainbow, St Arnaud, Rainbow, Christchurch in a day, that was a shorter run. PLUG and i left Chch around 6 i think and had breakfast and warmed up in Hamner then on we went. PLUG was catching a ferry that day and so we parted ways at St Arnaud and I got gas, lunch and had a look at the lake then went back the way we came. I enjoyed that run better except the bit where i had to stop near Lake Tennyson and fix a puncture. The flat (my first) set me back a bit so by the time i rode over Jacks Pass on the way home it was dark again.
    Last edited by Transalper; 5th December 2006 at 08:46. Reason: tweaking the story for accuracy
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    97 CRM 250 AR
    I make it 400km from hamner through Molesworth, wairau then rainbow and back to hamner. Then need to add 150kms either way between Chch and hamner. Guess it could be done in a day but with stops it would be a long one.

It this a challange???? If we add about another 300km we could turn it into a 1000km adventure ride. Chch, hamner, molesworth, Blenhiem, Mangatapu, Nelson, 88 valley, St Arnurd, Murcheson, Mariua Saddle, Murcheson, Braeburn Track, Porika Track, St Arnurd, Rainbow, Hamner, Chch is about 935 km relatively straight line from Topo map. Not sure how far in reality!!! Think I might need a sheepskin for that one. Who's keen

Cheers
    R
    Sounds fun. Insane, but fun. It could be like a dualsport version of the Grand Challenge.
    Hayden - Evidence that even the mediocre can achieve great things.

((U+C+I) x (10-S))/20 x A x 1/(1-sin(F/10))

Bike
    02 ktm 640 enduro

Cheers
    R
    I'm in ... with daylight saving no worries, providing we hit the road early ... floated this idea a few months back in conversation ... if i remember rightly it went quiet & got a few queer looks before the subject was quickly changed ...

Thread Information