Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: On our way - Easter '07

Bike
    KTM RC8
    Quote Originally Posted by busa pete View Post
    Tony did you go and get one of those calanders that told you about if so you might be able to live up to your name.
    Haha... I did yeah, but ate all the chocolates on day 1

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant Esq View Post
    ...And the time grows nearer! Getting excited Tony? Hopefully the weather will go your way.
    You know it mate. Only two weekends to go now so if you want to get out on the bike again we need to get that sorted asap.

Quote Originally Posted by woodybee View Post
    I am a UK bird living over here, and a mate of scumdogs, I live in Queenstown, so if you hit the west coast taint far from that, have a sleepout to offer you and flat levels to camp out on, in the back garden if you want.
    Thanks very much for the offer Jan. As I mentioned to scumdog, I don't think we're going to have time to get down your way. Damn, I wish the two and bit weeks was twenty two and a bit weeks. When we move over, visiting the south of the south will be top of the list so we'll look you guys up then

No, not doing the TT unfortunately. Our trip to NZ is soaking up every last bit of cash we've got. Enjoy yourself and watch how you go on Mad Sunday eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Blairos View Post
    Check out a thread of the SI Trip a few of us just completed here - if you are able to take in the whole island, its sure worth it - we completed our misson in about 11 days, but there were some big miles done some days
    Wow, that looks like one hell of a trip mate. Spectacular doesn't do some of that scenery justice. We're going to have to think long and hard about where we want to end up over there.
    What a difference indifference can make

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    Not long now mate
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

Bike
    S2R Monster
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviant Esq View Post
    .Hopefully the weather will go your way.
    It's shite at the mo and looks like staying that way all week - seems that the Yorkshire weather has arrived b4 Tony

Bike
    KTM RC8
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Not long now mate

Quote Originally Posted by Bytor View Post
    It's shite at the mo and looks like staying that way all week - seems that the Yorkshire weather has arrived b4 Tony
    Hmmmm... a good job we got the higher waterproof resistance tent then? Bah! We're in for a good week here in Yorkshire... predominently dry and sunny, dropping to near freezing overnight, but with an average daily temp of about 12 degrees...

Are we to pack the thermals instead of the t-shirts then?

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
    Hmmmm... a good job we got the higher waterproof resistance tent then? Bah! We're in for a good week here in Yorkshire... predominently dry and sunny, dropping to near freezing overnight, but with an average daily temp of about 12 degrees...

Are we to pack the thermals instead of the t-shirts then?
    I don't think it would be a bad idea to pack some warm clothes - long sleeved tops, long trousers, shoes and socks, a jacket/jersey, etc. The weather has been pretty grotty the past few days (it has bucketed down most of yesterday and today - at least the water tank is full!) and it's almost cold enough to light the fire. By the time you arrive, it's likely the fire will be lit in the evenings and warming food will be on the menu rather than a BBQ!

The weather may clear up by then, but it has certainly cooled down from last month's temperatures and you will be right in the middle of autumn so the daily temperatures may only be about 15-20C in most places.
    Yes, I am pedantic about spelling and grammar so get used to it!

Bike
    KTM RC8
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
    The weather may clear up by then, but it has certainly cooled down from last month's temperatures and you will be right in the middle of autumn so the daily temperatures may only be about 15-20C in most places.
    Cheers for the info Beemer. It's still an improvement on the average around here at the moment (about 8C) and we're forecast for a spot of snow later today

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    Ooh, 8C - luxury! Daylight saving ended yesterday morning so it's dark about 6.30pm now and that will soon edge towards 6pm and earlier.

The rain finally eased yesterday and it's been fine ever since so hopefully it will be calm during your stay. It's sunny right now and windy, but I am quite comfortable in a teeshirt so it's reasonably warm. The temperature gauge in the lounge is reading 21C and it doesn't get any sun until the afternoon so that's not too bad!

Bike
    Honda CT125
    Blog Entries
    As I post this Tony will be on the plane, winging his way over to New Zealand.

Hope you have a great holiday mate, and here's hoping the weather's good! I had a look at the forecast, and it seems the first couple of days in Christchurch are supposed to be sunny and warm, so that's a start! Shame about the timing really, I'd have liked to have shown you around a bit as you have done for me. Still, nothing we can do about that... so I'll just send you photos every now and then via email once I'm back in NZ and you're back in England. Motivational like, to speed along your move.

Heads up Sniper, here they come.
    Soapbox house of cards and glass, so don't go tossing your stones around.
    You musta been.... high. You musta been...

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    As usual with all our guests, we are really looking forward to them arriving. Not sure exactly when they will be at our place, when they heard the balloon festival was on here over Easter they said they may head up here first and then double-back to Wellington to see some distant relatives. Either way, whenever they turn up, there's a bed or two and a warm welcome on offer. I just hope they like us!

I've also got five bottles of wine in the cooler (two bubblies, two still and a red) and some Carlsberg, Speights and Tui - so they will be well catered for! (Not to mention the whiskies...) Now, I suppose I'll have to think of what to feed them as well...!

Bike
    Honda CT125
    Blog Entries
    Don't think they're big fans of red wine IIRC but the rest should go down without too much of an issue.
    They're not vegetarians, and both Tony and Lou are quite capable cooks themselves (rather than eating out a lot), so I think you'll find them pretty easy to cater for. Being British though I'm sure they'd be partial to some nicely prepared Kiwi lamb. I'm sure you'll do us proud.
    Soapbox house of cards and glass, so don't go tossing your stones around.
    You musta been.... high. You musta been...

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    Good to hear that! (But whats IIRC - am I being blonde?)

I was planning maybe a roast or similar, or something with chicken - and dessert too, of course! That fat guy looks like he could do with a bit of fattening up! Pleased to hear they are not vegetarians, neither are we!

If the weather holds they will be rapt - it's currently 28C in our lounge and 30C in the bedroom and so hot outside the thought of putting on bike gear is horrifying! I'm heading into town in the air conditioned car thank you!

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
    Good to hear that! (But whats IIRC - am I being blonde?)
    IIRC = If I ReCall???
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    IIRC = If I ReCall???
    I was informed it actually stands for If I Recall Correctly! It's not an abbreviation I've seen often, hence the query!

Well, the clan should be here by now - or at least will be in transit. I hope they get the chance to relax for a day before heading off anywhere.

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    We've just reluctantly farewelled Tony, Louise and Daisie. They arrived yesterday to a glorious day in the Horowhenua and spent a relaxing afternoon wandering around our pond or sitting on the deck eating home made hot cross buns!

They headed off towards Taupo today but we hope they will be back for good soon. They're a lovely family and would be a real asset to NZ if they do end up here. Selfishly we'd like them to settle near us so we could see them often!

If you get the chance to catch up with them on their trip, do so - and make them welcome so they will be encouraged to move here pronto!

Bike
    KTM RC8
    OK, so having arrived back home to read this thread I'm fascinated to see our dietary requirements being discussed What are you two like? Ryan, you must have been bored mate For the record, Lou loves red wine!

What a trip... 3690km of fun in an incredible country full of friendly faces. We're stoked to have had the pleasure of meeting the KBers who extended their hospitality to us. Thank you all so much.

It ended up going something like: Christchurch > Hanmer Springs > Golden Bay > Nelson > Blenheim > Wellington > Levin > Rotorua > Orewa > Paihia > Cape Reinga > Waipoua > Whangaparaoa > Auckland

We arrived home yesterday feeling more than a little saddened to have left New Zealand, but it looks like we'll be making the move (if your immigration bods will accept our application... just need to look in to whether to go 'work for residency' or 'skilled migrant')

It really was a pleasure to meet and spend time with the KBers and families that we had the opportunity to... it made the trip for us, and gave us a much better insight in to life over there. So a massive thanks goes out to Sniper and his lovely lady, MyGSXF, Sniper's extended family, Beemer and Andy, Mr & Mrs Busa Pete and invited Auckland area guests... and yes, as predicted I'm struggling to remember all of your login names but you know who you are.

Thanks also to Deviant for his help and advice prior to the trip... I'm guessing that you'll be feeling as jetlagged as I am today mate... I hope that your flight home didn't seem to last as long as our's did

It was a blast... we'll be back

Thread Information