Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: WARNING WELLESLEY ST BUS LIGHT

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by spudchucka
    A fine plus court costs, usually around $130. It'd be worth I reckon, this whole thing sounds like a load of bollocks to me, (you getting the ticket I mean).

cheers spud, I think that the fact I haven't broken the intention of the LTSA law will help if I go to court, but going to see some legal advice tomorrow anyways.

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    good luck sasalex. Perhaps some of us inner city bikers would be able to help with the costs too given we might get hauled up on it one day?

Actually, LTSA's ideas mean squat because they don't enforce them.... nor do the council... its what the police think that really makes the difference because they're the ones handing out the tickets (and not knowing what law they might be enforcing!)

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    The Police are the LTSA's henchmen.

sAsLex, re the court stuff. Another outcome could be that they see it is a grey area and let you off. Thinking of it I don't think the minor traffic court has the power to rule if you are allow to use the "B" light or not. As it is essentially 3 JP's sitting there wheeling a hammer. I think a ruling might have to come from LTSA. Also, if you ever go to court. They cannot charge you with more than what they have ticketed you for. So u can be assured not to be worse off.

So perhaps you can use the bus lane, but just before you get to the lights you have to sneak back into the normal lanes? that would be one way to comply with that.

Cheers
    Zapf

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    yeah I am hoping for a grey area call, in this paticular spot there is no alternative to the bus lane.

Took the alternate route home, welll one I made up, and adds like 5-10 mins on to trip!

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Dude do what another KB member did and wright em a letter.
    Quote the local goverment Bi law word for word and tell them how to access the information.
    Explain the logic of your thinking clearly with no emotion.
    I can't see any reason at all you shouldn't get let off the ticket.
    Possibly explain that as you regularly ride that route you would like the matter cleared up.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    2008 DRZ400E & 1983 CB152T
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapf
    The Police are the LTSA's henchmen.

sAsLex, re the court stuff. Another outcome could be that they see it is a grey area and let you off. Thinking of it I don't think the minor traffic court has the power to rule if you are allow to use the "B" light or not. As it is essentially 3 JP's sitting there wheeling a hammer. I think a ruling might have to come from LTSA. Also, if you ever go to court. They cannot charge you with more than what they have ticketed you for. So u can be assured not to be worse off.

So perhaps you can use the bus lane, but just before you get to the lights you have to sneak back into the normal lanes? that would be one way to comply with that.

Cheers
    Zapf
    They will charge you $130 court costs if you loose. That is ontop of the fine which is $150. So if he goes to court and looses he will be in for $280, if he wins he doesn't have to pay anything.

Some of the things you have said in this thread zapf have been totally wrong, think you better check your sources before you go offering people advice about this stuff.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sAsLEX
    talked at length to a guy who was real helpful at the council yesterday, and that was what he suggested I think you posted it to.

so a question, if this goes to court how much will it cost *if* I lose??
    the fine plus court costs of $130. it is unlikely that youi'll get it turned over on the basis that it is 'unfair' or 'bad law' - it is politicians, not the JP's job to decide when law is wrong, but you may set in motion the waves to get it changed (for the better you would hope - they could just ban EVERYTHNG from the bus lanes except buses......

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    [QUOTE=spudchucka]Like I said before, still not quite over it yet huh. Keep going and you could be as bitter and twisted as Lou one day.
    QUOTE]

Obsessed, aren't you, Spudmeister. Never mind, you'll mellow as you get older and things won't upset you so much.

As far as the original point goes, I think there is a difference between be able to use bus lanes and using the bus priority lights. It would pay to investigate the by-law applying to them before you write your letter.

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marty
    the fine plus court costs of $130. it is unlikely that youi'll get it turned over on the basis that it is 'unfair' or 'bad law' - it is politicians, not the JP's job to decide when law is wrong, but you may set in motion the waves to get it changed (for the better you would hope - they could just ban EVERYTHNG from the bus lanes except buses......
    But I would also think that is the court's job to balance law and reality. The Judge does have the power to decide what applys and what doesn't, hence the existance of the court system.

It is the job of cops to enforce the law, but not decide what applies or don't. You can effectively say they are the dogs (just an expression) of the law.

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Lou Girardin]
    Like I said before, still not quite over it yet huh. Keep going and you could be as bitter and twisted as Lou one day.
    QUOTE]

Obsessed, aren't you, Spudmeister. Never mind, you'll mellow as you get older and things won't upset you so much.

As far as the original point goes, I think there is a difference between be able to use bus lanes and using the bus priority lights. It would pay to investigate the by-law applying to them before you write your letter.
    And that the bus driver has no right to honk at you. They in this case need to understand the bylaw relating bus lanes.

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapf
    You can effectively say they are the dogs (just an expression) of the law.
    As in, cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of law?
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Shanksters Pony
    [QUOTE=Lou Girardin]
    Like I said before, still not quite over it yet huh. Keep going and you could be as bitter and twisted as Lou one day.
    QUOTE]

Obsessed?? Thats like the pot calling the kettle black.

Mellow as you get older??? It hasn't worked on you.

Bike
    BMW R65LS, part time R75 old fart rider
    Oi! take it somewhere else....
    Queiro voya todo Europa con mi moto.... pero no tengo suficiente tiempo o dinero.....

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Fast posted a letter away about two days before the end of the pink notice time and guess what I got off. Now because of the automated resopnse type letter I got I am still unsure of the law regarding the intersection, well I knows what it says but does this mean I can now use it?? Prob not but that will pay for a new front tyre on the XR.

Bike
    BMW K1200R

Alternative route

I've been giving this some thought, and have come up with a different route that looks more fun than the Wellesley St bus lane.

Up Symonds Street, into Welesley street. Watch for suicidal fellow students expecting a bike at full lean to give way. Down past AUT seeing if you can hit the rev limiter before merging into the traffic from motorways.

Fingers crossed for a green light at the left turn onto Mayoral drive - choose right hand lane, corner tightens, attempt to get knee down.

Throw bike onto full right lean to make the hairpin turn into Rutland street, square off corner with throttle if required (note that this is a no right turn, but the sign looks easy to remove, and can't be any worse than riding in the bus lane.)

To suit your purposes on the XR, I'd suggest substituting knee down for sole down, and instead of heading down Rutland street, to head down the stairs at the top of Lorne street
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alternative_route.gif 
Views:	12 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	4255  

Thread Information