Page 205 of 215 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,075 of 3221

Thread: The DR650 thread

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Did local expert consider that there is only atmospheric pressure pushing air into the motor but considerably more pressure pushing the air out?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Did local expert consider that there is only atmospheric pressure pushing air into the motor but considerably more pressure pushing the air out?
    Atmospheric pressure + the suction from the downstroke of the piston.

Still much much less than the pressure resulting from combustion (+ the upstroke of the piston).

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    Atmospheric pressure + the suction from the downstroke of the piston.
    You might want to re-think exactly what you mean by suction.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Can the Dr650 starter be removed for servicing the starter bush without taking half the engine apart like in those how to vids??? Damn this cold weather *rooster crow*.....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    Yep you can get it out without removing all that crap - its fiddly but pretty easy mine was squawking took it out lubed and refitted, just does it now and then now.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by pomgolian View Post
    Yep you can get it out without removing all that crap - its fiddly but pretty easy mine was squawking took it out lubed and refitted, just does it now and then now.
    Thanks for that. I was looking yesterday and thought it looked doable without disturbing the oil lines and cam chain tensionor. Tempted to buy the Warp 9 bearing jobbie but then that leads to other purchases as well lol....

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Cheers again, job done and test ridden. Ran it out of petrol near top of hill all warmed up and gave starter and battery good cranking, all good.
    It seems a cold start on a cold miserable winters day is still lot of work on a big single though, least it sounds better

Only took off the clutch cable and its bracket which mounts the end of motor and yes bit fiddly but entirely doable. Prob easier seating the rubber gaskets out of motor but not too much of a mission.

Bike
    XRV750, DL650, KL250, XR200R
    I tried the warp 9 bearing and it shit itself after about 8 months, I then refitted the old end cap after using a bit of some new high tech grease we got at work, it was a synthetic, very high pressure grease that was designed not to 'pump" out under pressure. never had any more squawking from the starter. I just used to remove the oil lines and the cam chain tensioner and remove the starter, having to remove the exhaust is crap, dont need to.
    COP, "Ive been waiting to catch you all day"
    BIKER "Sorry officer, I got here as fast as I could"

Bike
    DR650SEK9
    Quote Originally Posted by Waipukbiker View Post
    I tried the warp 9 bearing and it shit itself after about 8 months, I then refitted the old end cap after using a bit of some new high tech grease we got at work, it was a synthetic, very high pressure grease that was designed not to 'pump" out under pressure. never had any more squawking from the starter. I just used to remove the oil lines and the cam chain tensioner and remove the starter, having to remove the exhaust is crap, dont need to.
    How did it break? I have just fitted one of these 😞
    Skiddies and Wheelies!

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Cheers again, job done and test ridden. Ran it out of petrol near top of hill all warmed up and gave starter and battery good cranking, all good.
    It seems a cold start on a cold miserable winters day is still lot of work on a big single though, least it sounds better

Only took off the clutch cable and its bracket which mounts the end of motor and yes bit fiddly but entirely doable. Prob easier seating the rubber gaskets out of motor but not too much of a mission.
    You should video the surgical procedure to update the internet....if you click the advertising box on utube you'll likely make a fortune
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650
    I am not convinced that the DR starter squawk is the bearing bush. Mine was noisy while still having positive lubricant signs in the bush.

I suspect the source is the several thin washers, used to control end-float, chattering against one another when they dry out. Lubricating the bush usually results in lubricating them and after the second time, I specifically targeted them with good results.
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Bike
    The bearing got lumpy, possibly ran dry, I didnt bother hooking the seals out to check. I thought about replacing it with an NTN or similar but we were having great results with this grease at work in the loader and digger pins so I thought I would try it. Spun over as fast as the bearing cap and I never had anymore problems with it. May have been worthwhile re packing the bearing properly with a good grease when new prior to installing. I also wondered if the bearing position in the end cap was slightly out of alignment.

Bike
    My crap memory, Just remembered why I removed the starter and found the bad bearing, I started having problems getting the starter to work, as in, no body home when hitting the button, When it finally did it when I was at home I checked all the circuits and found nothing, fed power power straight to the starter and still nothing so thats when I removed the starter and found the rough bearing but the rest of the starter looked fine, Changed the cap over and it ran fine on the bench. The bearing hadn't seized but was rough to turn by hand. Thats when I wondered about the alignment which may have caused the armature to short out against the body.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    You should video the surgical procedure to update the internet...
    I was tempted but looking at how restricted the space was I knew there would be lots of swearing involved so the final vid would have more beeps than a techno dance track remix

Bike
    Dog Rooter

Cog So, who's got a spare motor?

My Freewind has had a bad sad and the bottom end internals are poked after a chain-off-bind-around-front-sprocket incident*.

The bottom on a Freewind is the same as a DR. The top is somewhat different.

I'm thinking the cheapest option might be to find a half decent motor and swap the bottom end off it. I have been looking for months for a crash damaged donor bike or similar, with no luck.

Has anyone got any bright ideas, or a motor they may be willing to sell? Cheers.

* Lesson learned: if your chain starts to wear more quickly than usual, checking the cush drive bearing is not buggered is a good idea...
    Last edited by chasio; 4th August 2016 at 12:50. Reason: More info and less self flagellation for being daft.

Thread Information