Page 13 of 215 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: The DR650 thread

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Despte what I said in the DR650 gearbox whine thread I'm liking the carb mods I did. I drilled the second hole in the slide, put a tiny brass washer (about .5mm thick) under the needle and I removed the snorkel. It has made the mid range much stronger and more progressive but hasn't done anything to top end. I've found that power slides on gravel are much easier and much more controllable. The power it more progressive and the delivery seems to be linked to the throttle more now.

I defiantly have a yanky spec carb so other bikes might respond slightly differently to the same mods though.

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Told ya!

Bike
    2006 Suzuki DR650 & FZR1000 race bike

They are out to get me this Sunday!

I know it's true, they aren't saying it but I know it. They are out to get me this Sunday.
    We are off to Teretonga on Sunday for the final round of the Summer series. Apparently they had enough Motards last round to run a seperate Motard class so I am heading down with some friends for it. The two young guys have been easy to keep behind me up till now coz they just new, but they have been getting faster and I think they want to take me down this time.
    So the DR650 will have to work real hard on Sunday.
    Scott's CRF450 had the legs on me at Levels and Marks first outing on the DRZ400 which has more power than me but may run out of gears before the end of the main straight. Both have better rubber and brakes, so maybe this is the time. I am just glad that I knew they would beat me eventually so I never rubbed it in when I was faster, I hope they remember that if they do manage to beat me. Any betting men out there? I would say even odds at this stage!

Bike
    black and blue
    This is not the attitude that wins!
    "In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by GaZBur View Post
    Any betting men out there? I would say even odds at this stage!
    Not implying anything here....
    But...

What is it they say about old age and treachery beating youth and enthusiasm?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by twotyred View Post
    This is not the attitude that wins!
    Yes I know. I have tried the attitude that wins starting off the front grid and trying to hole shot and let me tell you what happens. You go to casualty and wait around for ages to get an x-ray, and you need to take pills to reduce the pain so you can sleep. Did that twice last year and now I am acting my age and trying to survive the year without the pain and embarasement.

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    good on ya mate as long as your still enjoying it and haveing fun, thats the attitude i like

Bike

DR at Teretonga

We took the DR650, a CRF450 and a DRZ400 to Teretonga today. Had a great time as usual. The young guys caught on quick. I could get the DR around the back corners just a little faster than them, Scotts CRF had more power and top speed than the DR and he managed to take me in 3 of the 4 races after we diced and changed positions several times. Marks DRZ was not running well under full power so he didn't get a chance to prove just how quick he was capable of going sadly as he really got quick later in the day. There was no show of us keeping up with the fastest bikes KTM660, AprilliaVX550 and CR500's.
    One bad incident in practice. A yz450 on slicks passed me after the dogleg and started to brake at maybe 130-140kph and the rear slid out on the damp track and he bounced badly and tumbled about 4 full turns in front of my wheel. I was first there and stopped him from trying to get up because I didn't like the way he bounced on his back. I didnt hear how he finished up but it appears he has at least a sholder injury but he was moving ok after but never returned from his trip in the ambulance. Pity about the bike as it had less than 3 hours on it.
    One surprise was that I ran to the rev limiter and had to use 5th gear one part of the back section which means I was doing over 143Kph before braking to turn into the main straight. The speedo showed 175 on the straight but Scotts CRF was recording 170 on the GPS and I was not as fast. Strong side winds stopped us from getting good top speeds on the main straight. The 14 tooth front sprocket apeared to be an improvement as it was windy last time I was there too and the speedo was showing 170 under similar wind conditions.
    Next DR650 outing for me is Motards at the Kart track.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Now you need to get an FCR carb on there and deal to those young pretenders

Good one Mr Gaz.

Bike

Axle diameter needed

Hi Guys, anyone know offhand the diameter of both front and rear axles of the DR650 - mines a 2006 SE if it makes any difference. I am on the net trying to track down some 17 in motard wheels.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    At least one of them is 17mm and it looks like Bandit wheels may fit.

Bike
    Took the DR to motards at Silverstream Kart track today. First day of the season. Had hoot of a time as usual. Started off the back grid to keep out of trouble, not that there was much trouble today. Two ten minutes practice followed by two races - 8 laps??? not sure wasn't counting in anticlockwise direction. Then two ten minute practices and three races clockwise. The track feels totally different clockwise - all those right handers and seems faster too! The DR is the heaviest bike on the track and the tyres take a hell of a pounding. They have developed a strange lop sided V shape now. The rear will be ok so long as I just do right handers for a while! I did a bit of sliding both back and front - mostly unintentional but didn't drop the bike. Mark, my mate from work dropped his DRZ400 a couple of times but not seriously. Scott managed to bounce me on the start and I had no chance of passing him, and was unable to get close enough to try anyway. I was told by a good rider on a new 450 Yam that the DR is VERY WIDE as passing at the kart track usually takes either a mistake, guts or heaps of aggression - or a combination of them. I didn't do anything too aggressive as it was practice day after all. Looking forward to next session.

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    sounds like a shit load of fun, as for passing on the cart track put a nudge bar on the front that will get ya through the pack

Bike
    I worked out how much I hadn't spent this year racing and could not believe how much fun I have had on the DR for my money. Put the post in the racing forum but you DR guys may be interested in reading it http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=72832

Anyway the club keeps its racing cheap by running the Brass Monkey so I feel I owe it to them to help out. I just emailed the pres to volunteer to work the weekend so if any of you guys are going I will see you there - make youself known and I will keep and eye out for DR's and others I have talked to through here.

Bike

Motards washed out today!

Well motards at Silverstream were washed out today.
    No we are not big woosies who are afraid of the wet! I have raced there when we had to use an industrial heater to clear the ice off a line to get round the back corner. But today there was so much oil and water on the track it was SUPER GREASY! There was too much chance of track damage by crashing motorcycles that the decision was taken to pull the plug today so the Kart club couldn't stop us from racing at all due to the chance of gouging the track. The stewards were particular about using PLASTIC protectors as rubber tends to catch on the tarmac and rip anyway. The young guy who is organising the series this year bit the bullet and made the decision to stop - the right one I believe today and even though there were a few who wanted to continue they respected his judgement in silence.
    Got 10 mins of practice and 1 points race in. Started at the back and was 7th all the way till the last lap, finished 5th when the Yam 450 passed Scott only to fall in front of him, so I went around them both. Havent come in front of Scott for a while, he he!
    Due to having plenty of time left this afternoon Mark helped me make up a new set ot peg sliders out of conduit. They look good, cover very well the sharp bits - only one problem.... the plastic is KTM orange!!! I shall paint them tomorrow.

Thread Information