Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rider training

Bike
    Registered. For now...

Rider training

Advanced Road Rider training is one place where the Aussies have got one up on us, but we do have some options in NZ...

Motolife offer training from learner to intermediate to advanced. Their focus is on roadcraft as much as machine skills. http://crash.ihug.co.nz/~jpreou/motolife/motolife.htm

There are also skills sessions conducted by some of our top road racers from time to time. Names like Brian Bernard and Dennis Charlett appear here. AMCC is probably a good contact point. http://www.amcc.org.nz/ If you are not in Auckland, try your local road-oriented club.

Then there's MNZ - keep an eye on their site for news of training sessions... http://www.motorcyclingnz.co.nz/

And if that's not enough, try http://www.megarider.com/training.html
    ACC - It's where the Enron accountants all went.

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Good stuff what. I don't know what AMCC are doing at the moment regards training. I'll ask there tonight and let you know.

The Megarider stuff looks interesting. Has anybody used them, or the DIY kit?

TTFN
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    Sold
    The Megarider stuff is good.  I subscribe to their e-newsletter and have bought one or two of their booklets.

For those south of the Bombays, Ward Fischer runs all levels of training in Hamilton.  http://www.roaduser.co.nz/mc.htm

Freddy Merkel (ex-world superbike champ) also does advanced courses at Taupo circuit.  Very popular with Ulysses members, so next time you get the wheels ridden off you by an oldie, there's a chance you've been done over by a Merkel graduate

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Blackbird do you have any contact details for Freddy Merkel? I'm trying to organise some road race coaching for myself, and also for any interested kiwibiker members. if he does on track training for road riding that would be even better for some of the bods in here.

As for ulysses members whizzing past....well it happened at Manfeild. It's nice too know that I'mn braking far too early and not hard enough  

TTFN
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    Sold
    Hi Bluninja - try this!

PO Box 1340 Taupo Cellular phone

0-25-403 927

He runs an engineering business at Taupo and his rider coaching is a bit of a sideline, or at least a separate business.  I haven't attended one of his courses, but I know someone who has and they really rated it.  I think he requires 30+ people to run a course.  I've heard that sometimes, some of his top racebike mates turn up and help out just for the fun of it, so you get more bang for your buck.

I did the Hamilton advanced course with Ward Fischer last year.  It was 1:1 instruction - about $120 for 3 hours.  It was good value to sharpen my roadcraft up as unfortunately, I only get a decent ride in 2 or 3 times a month and standards are bound to slip.  I found that on past occasions when I've done the Rusty Nuts 1000 miles in under 24 hours ride, I'm shit hot for a couple of weeks, then I start to tail off again!!  I think we all need refreshers from time to time.

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info. Don't think I'm too keen at trying to organise 30+ riders at this point in time. Well I managed to while my flu days away with reading TOTW2 and reviewing my advanced riding video, from a course I attended. I managed a decent ride on Sunday, but need a lot more riding time to get myself up to a reasonable level on the Aprilia.

Still I don't remember any advice on low flying birds. A magpie smashed the screen on one bike early in the ride, and it's believed a brid strike to the helmet caused one rider to leave the road and wreck his bike against a tree, earning him a trip tto hospital (thoough I'm told he wasn't seriously hurt). 

TTFN   
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    MV AGUSTA F4 STRADA
    What wonderful SUNday, oh what a beautiful day!

Went for a shortish ride with three top guys after weeks (months) of no riding, rain etc.

Felt so odd and out of the flow until the ride back. Good thing it was an easy pace for me as hit a patch of gravel and the bike started sliding sideways towards the front wheel. I was sure that was the end or rather the beginning of a major crash, however this head cold seems to have numbed my reactions so by the time I started to panic (soon to nail the brakes which would have been a disaster) it sorted itself out and I just kept on going.

I definitely need to ride more often and need more instruction!, But I had a great time, arrived home cold, tired, with an awful cough but a GREAT BIG

Bike
    Sold
    Couldn't agree more about what a great day it was!  Took the 'bird over the Kaimai range to Tauranga yesterday.  The attached photo was from the lookout at the top.  National Park must be close to 190 k's away as the crow flies, which shows just how clear it was.  No pea gravel though, thank god!

Safe riding

Geoff

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kaimai1a.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	194  

Bike
    RF900

Thumbs up

Mega rider is a good site some and I rate it for commonsence advice. you have to subsribe to get the full newsletter.
    and they welcome contributions.
    Your never to old for a sportsbike

Bike
    Triumph Daytona 650 in RED
    Boing!

With so many new members, I thought it might be worth floating this thread to the top again.
    "Women & cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer." Bruce Graham

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim
    Boing!

With so many new members, I thought it might be worth floating this thread to the top again.
    Onya Slim!!
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Could we maybee get enough of us from KB together to run a Merkle training session?
    Oh is anyone else interested in doing a california superbike school course ??

Bike
    Ducati 900 SS ie
    Sounds good to me. Time, price etc?
    Kiwi
    Nothing is impossible

Bike
    Honda PC800
    well the taupo thing well hafta suss out --the superbike school --maybee midwinter
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Triumph Daytona 650 in RED
    Hamilton Motorcycle Club in association with most of the Hamilton bike shops are running another training day at the Taupo track with Bernard on the 16th May. There's a flyer in one of the Kiwi motorcycle mags on the shelf at the moment (I've got it at home, but forgot to bring it in with me).
    "Women & cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer." Bruce Graham

Thread Information