Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VTR Brakes

Bike
    07 CBR 1000RR

VTR Brakes

First time poster me , so dunno if this"s gonna work....
    I'm on an '03 VTR 1000 , dun 12k's , and one of my front discs has warped..slowing down approaching lights etc. you can feel it grab release grab release ands so on .Has anyone else come across this ?
    Sunday chasing down an unfamiliar country road ,over a crest,
    confronted by road dropping away and turning hard right ,touched the front brake to bleed some speed, it locks up on me ,cost me the corner ! By the time I,d let it off a touch ,I had no chance - off the corner into the long grass ,thank goodness for our shit weather - the bike landed on what felt like a sponge - slowed me up real good .only my wheels got dirty !
    Also tyres... Changed to Bridgestone 020 on rear at 8ks thats fine,just put a B 12 on the front ,500k's I'm not sure about it..supposed to be softer than the rear..anyone know ?

Bike
    Triumph Sprint ST
    My VTR has mildly warped discs at 33k. Being floating discs, I guess that rules out getting them machined. Does anyone have any recommendations as to OEM/aftermarket replacements?

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    dodgy old honda's eh?

I don't suppose that road you were talking about is Skyline road leading out of Clevedon towards Hunua is it? About 4 km from clevedon? there's one out there exactly like that and I very nearly suffered a similar fate when I first discovered it.. its a piss poor piece of road engineering!

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    Skyline or Twilight???

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    skyline... twilight has tight corners but more warning

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    I miss Twilight...which one is Skyline?

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    turn left out of shell. Next on your left (maybe called monument at that point?).. goes past the pony club on your right... a few fast sweepers in the 70kmhr then opens up a little... just as you get hoofing along... you crest a hill and gape as the road dissappears to your right... you may well not have slowed as there is only one  small sign warning of your impending death. Fecking corner

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    Nice - know the corner.  I love LTSA and Roading NZ's idea of marking corners.

Like the whole roll in to one signposted 55kph corner and you could have done it at 160kph, then the next corner is not signposted at all and it is a 35kph decreasing radius hidden apex downhill off camber corner covered in moss with a repaired patch covered in pea metal with no centre line and a car towing a boat coming around it.

Where is the consistency in the NZ road signage?  Also, why when they remove the 'gravel' signs - do they do so when it is safe for cars to pass but still dangerous for bikes coz theres pea metal strips down the parts of the road cars don't go?

Bike
    07 CBR 1000RR
    t'was the Old Tauranga Road I was on ..or off.
    it's a minefield of poor engineering..
    can't wait to go that way again...
    could be a lot of fun once you know the Road a bit..

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    yeah.. fair gripe about the road consistency. its the same with speed limits... some very good dual carriage way roads with no driveways are 80kmph.... others are 50!? The signage is generally terrible too. That was one point highlighted on that INZ: Road Kill show a few weeks back.

Sure there will always be idiots on our roads (and bikers pushing themselves) but lets make the roads with more room for error. And it costs nothing to properly signpost roads well.. thats a tragedy.

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    Back to your question about tyres....I have pretty much run all tyres now on the VTR....four favs were...

Renners     Wicked, but pricey and low mileage, great turn in speed

M1's          Pick of the bunch, good mileage, good stick, good int he wet

012's          Good stick, but rather have Renners

208's           Too flat and slow the bikes steering down.

Bike
    GSXR750 K4
    tried the MTR 21 and 22 from Pirelli? (aka Dragon Evo)

they're one step down from Super corsa's which are probably in line with the rennsports but suit my style of commuting and w/e thrash (got about 6500km's out of the rear with some hard rides and one session at Pukekohe and aggresive commuting on the rest). I'm a sucker for any italian products but they've been very good to me and haven't given me any untoward scares once they're warm.

Bike
    RF900

Wink

My bike was pulling to the right under brakes I thought it was the brakes but transpired to be the front tyre had Dunlop 207's now have BT110 f 120 rear no probs its really hard to work out where the problem is sometimes.
    Your never to old for a sportsbike

Bike
    07 CBR 1000RR
    Thanks for the tyre info. guys..
    Like I said , I'm happy with the 020 rear ,which has done 4k,- it was the new 012 on the front I wasn't sure about.
    different tyre different feel I guess . Solution's simple ,
    get more k's on it.

Bike
    Manx TT by Sega
    Aren't the Super Corsa fecken expensive and half?  Nearly died when they quoted me $840 for the set...

Thread Information